• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Friday afternoon music

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Dean? Man, it's amazing that video still exists.
Maybe this will help. The 1978 Collinsville (IL) High School yearbook. The photo is inside the Eponymous album art, where they put "They Airbrushed My Face" across it. He also attended SIUE for one semester before moving to Athens.

apdk7rj37gu01.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Can't look away from the battle of ego, money and censorship going on over at Spotify between Neil Young and Joe Rogan.

But perhaps prescient the choice of songs Neil Young performed during his SNL appearance on Sep 30, 1989.

"Keep On Rockin' In The Free World" from Freedom

"The Needle and The Damage Done" (from Harvest) and "No More" (also Freedom)

Last edited:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Found this guy Dollar Country on IG that finds loads of unknown and obscure country & western 45s. He also has a website with “radio shows” and compilation tapes and CDs for sale.

I ordered the #3 mixtape/compilation, which has a trucker theme, and holy smokes - it’s incredible stuff. Tons of pedal steel, chicken pickin’ guitar, old Texas dudes with deep voices, and high-singin’ gals. I highly recommend following his IG and/or playing his radio show from the website.

A6FE811C-3AC5-4ECD-BF23-81EC24D4CE59.jpeg

3614BFA0-CE08-4C42-9F58-55B9513EC943.jpeg

Last edited:

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Found this guy Dollar Country on IG that finds loads of unknown and obscure country & western 45s. He also has a website with “radio shows” and compilation tapes and CDs for sale.

I order the #3 mixtape/compilation, which has a trucker theme, and holy smokes - it’s incredible stuff. Tons of pedal steel, chicken pickin’ guitar, old Texas dudes with deep voices, and high-singin’ gals. I highly recommend following his IG and/or playing his radio show from the website.

View attachment 102571
View attachment 102572
How in the hell is East Bound and Down not on there? I guess its not obscure enough?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
How in the hell is East Bound and Down not on there? I guess its not obscure enough?
Lots of stuff in here with a similar sound, but the guy’s focus isn’t on the tunes we’ve heard 100 times, no matter how great they are. He’s definitely offering up stuff people don’t know. This tape was maybe $8 and worth every damn penny. He has CDs too, and the radio show/podcast is free.

The name Dollar Country alludes to finding these forgotten 45s in dollar bins, so there’s that.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I've been on a ZZ Top kick today.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
It's not quite the afternoon yet but whatever:

I'm sad to say that I've just now discovered these guys. Better late than never I guess as they have instantly moved to my "kick ass" list.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
It's not quite the afternoon yet but whatever:

I'm sad to say that I've just now discovered these guys. Better late than never I guess as they have instantly moved to my "kick ass" list.

YES! This band DEATH rules (there's also an older, unrelated metal band called Death). They recorded all this rock n roll/ Detroit proto-punk stuff in the early 70s, and did so at a time when there really weren't many black folks playing that kind of music. They remained pretty much unknown until they were rediscovered in the 2000s, when people really should have picked up on it much sooner. Way ahead of their time.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Playing this at work now, some of the best Black Sabbath worship stuff I've heard in a while. The Aussies do it again ... their current rock bands absolutely spank what we've got going on in the US right now.

Last edited:

RDub

Gaah! When I try to play that I get this...
1648224448398.png

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I've also been playing Thou this week. I used to listen to a lot of metal/heavy stuff, and they're one of the only bands that's stuck with me.

This is really heavy and very sludgy. If you don't already like metal you probably won't dig it. If you want to give it a chance, play all 10 minutes of it as it changes pretty drastically throughout.

RDub

Still doesn't work for me. It may because I'm too cheap to sign up as a Premium member...

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Playing this at work now, some of the best Black Sabbath worship stuff I've heard in a while. The Aussies do it again ... their current rock bands absolutely spank what we've got going on in the US right now.

This is freaking killer! The Aussies definitely have it dialed in on their rock scene. I've been a big Wolfmother fan for a long time. I know they're a bit more mainstream, but they still sound good.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Since we're on the Aussie kick....

I've been digging these guys for a while, and this is a little change of pace. ;)

Her voice though!

So much talent over there!