• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2nd Annual Red Cone Night Run. Friday July 28th, 2023.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Ok. Here we go again! Because it was such an amazing night and a fun run last year, I'm planning to do another night run up Red Cone Peak this year. I'm going to try to make this a consistent annual event moving forward.
This year it will be Friday July the 28th.
We're leaving the trailhead no later than 7:00 PM. So be at the trail head by 6:30 pm, air down and be ready to roll out. Time is of the essence in order to reach the top for sun set. (The whole point of this)
We'll be running GMRS/FRS Ch-22

Just like last year, the plan is to stop as little as possible on the way up. That being said, if someone needs a spot, we'll definitely oblige that. We definitely want to be safe and make sure no one has trouble with anything.
Please make sure you've already eaten dinner or bring something that's easy to eat on the move.
Bring snacks for later on in the evening as well.
Bring some warm clothes.
Even at the end of July you never know what the weather will be like up there at that altitude at night fall. Last year it was perfect weather, but was about 38 and windy at the top.
If there's a good chance of the weather being really crappy, then we'll pull the plug last minute and reschedule. There's no point in going up there in a rain storm.

It will be an up and over run because I'm not coming down Webster in the dark.
There is a way to go up and around and loop back into the bottom of the Red Cone trailhead without ever leaving dirt roads. I plan on trying to complete this loop this year. (No, I'm not talking about Webster)
So anyone who wants to set up camp at or near the Red Cone trail head, we can circle back around to it by the end of the night. We had a couple folks do this last year.

My plan is to go up and over Red Cone and go out towards Montezuma, then come up the back side of Radical Hill, drop down into the Georgia Pass road, and then take Georgia Pass up and over back towards 285.
There will be chances to break off and go home via 70 at Montezuma and Breckenridge if you want to.

This would not be a good run for beginners. I'd rather have folks who have run this trail before and are familiar with it, or at least people who are well versed in off-roading. Good lights are definitely going to be helpful. A locker is very handy on this trail for some super flexy spots.

This is going to be a really long run if you stick with it all the way around. We were all out past 2:00 AM last year.
Like I said, there are bail out points along the way if this suits you better. But be ready for a long night regardless.

Post up any questions.
Post up if you're coming, I'd like to get a truck count. Last year we had 5 rigs and that worked really well for making good time. Ride-alongs are encouraged. If you want to go, but don't want to drive and instead want to be a photographer/spotter, post up and let us know. We can probably make that happen.
Perry rode with me last year, and that worked out really well for him to jump out and take pictures along the way.

I'm really looking forward to this! It should be a ton of fun. Last year was a blast!

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Some pictures from last year's run.

67a5323d-48f9-46ef-8568-17f884675c4f-jpeg.106156

053dca4b-ff07-472a-92b1-4dec63b410aa-jpeg.106140

b277c6fa-ebc9-4cf2-a810-014d3925c07e-jpeg.106139

3ae5b4bf-3c4f-484f-8ee2-81021070d03a-jpeg.106160

c4bae710-820f-44bb-baef-e56cbf786185-jpeg.106162

16-jpg.106227

3-jpg.106257

10-jpg.106261

30-jpg.106269

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Not sure if the tundra would be too wide but I might be down to co pilot! 😁
There is one section, in the trees, that is VERY tight. I have issues sometimes with rubbing up against the trees there.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Hmmm if there is anyone coming from down on the S side of town I might be interested in riding shotgun on something like this. I don't have lockers for the 4runner yet (other repairs just keep putting off all the fun stuff to put on) so it might be dicey if I try it in that especially with me still being a relative newb.

sunshine_and_jack

Rising Sun Member
I would like to offer a twist on this….
I recently purchased a house on Webster pass rd and would like to offer a dinner/ camping for anyone wanting the Webster exit at my place, thoughts!?
Ok. Here we go again! Because it was such an amazing night and a fun run last year, I'm planning to do another night run up Red Cone Peak this year. I'm going to try to make this a consistent annual event moving forward.
We're leaving the trailhead no later than 7:00 PM. So be at the trail head by 6:30 pm, air down and be ready to roll out. Time is of the essence in order to reach the top for sun set. (The whole point of this)

Just like last year, the plan is to stop as little as possible on the way up. That being said, if someone needs a spot, we'll definitely oblige that. We definitely want to be safe and make sure no one has trouble with anything.
Please make sure you've already eaten dinner or bring something that's easy to eat on the move.
Bring some warm clothes.
Even at the end of July you never know what the weather will be like up there at that altitude at night fall. Last year it was perfect weather, but was about 38 and windy at the top.
If there's a good chance of the weather being really crappy, then we'll pull the plug last minute and reschedule. There's no point in going up there in a rain storm.

There is a way to go up and around and loop back into the bottom of the Red Cone trailhead without ever leaving dirt roads. I plan on trying to complete this loop this year. (No, I'm not talking about Webster)
So anyone who wants to set up camp at or near the Red Cone trail head, we can circle back around to it by the end of the night. We had a couple folks do this last year.

My plan is to go up and over Red Cone and go out towards Montezuma, then come up the back side of Radical Hill, drop down into the Georgia Pass road, and then take Georgia Pass up and over back towards 285.
There will be chances to break off and go home via 70 at Montezuma and Breckenridge if you want to.

This would not be a good run for beginners. I'd rather have folks who have run this trail before and are familiar with it, or at least people who are well versed in off-roading. Good lights are definitely going to be helpful. A locker is very handy on this trail for some super flexy spots.

This is going to be a really long run if you stick with it all the way around. We were all out past 2:00 AM last year.
Like I said, there are bail out points along the way if this suits you better. But be ready for a long night regardless.

Post up any questions.
Post up if you're coming, I'd like to get a truck count. Last year we had 5 rigs and that worked really well for making good time. Ride-alongs are encouraged. If you want to go, but don't want to drive and instead want to be a photographer/spotter, post up and let us know. We can probably make that happen.
Perry rode with me last year, and that worked out really well for him to jump out and take pictures along the way.

I'm really looking forward to this! It should be a ton of fun. Last year was a blast!

Bring some warm clothes.

Post up any questions.

the Webster exit at my place! Thoughts

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I would like to offer a twist on this….
I recently purchased a house on Webster pass rd and would like to offer a dinner/ camping for anyone wanting the Webster exit at my place, thoughts!?

the Webster exit at my place! Thoughts

So this house is on the road from 285 up to the Red Cone Trail head?? Or is it on the other side, like further towards Montezuma?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
most likely in!

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Insky!

Plan to ride along and take pics like last year:cool:.

:beer::beer:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Put us down for 2 trucks!