The intro to snow wheeling trip report

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
that was fantastic. Like literally one of the better parking lot discussions I have ever participated in, from the engagement of the group to the quality of material by the presenters. Was a real treat to have a few of the guys from the Colorado 4x4 Recovery team there, as they were able to not only bring in some new perspective but also validate a lot of the things we do as standard practice. Our discussion was basically 3 parts; to start we divided into teams and played a little game of "must have vs. nice to have" as we evaluated several piles of equipment and gear spread around. Then we heard a little more about the Colorado 4x4 Rescue & Recovery group, got tons of questions answered, and some really fun dialog. Finally the group took a deeper dive into a few key areas of interest including tires, air pressure, soft shackles vs. rigid bow shackles, hi lifts and vehicle attachment points. This whole thing lasted about 2 hours.

IMG_8322.jpg

IMG_8326.jpg

So then most of the group aired down and started driving towards the trail, others left. About 1/2 mile from the parking lot, we ran into a number of oncoming vehicles... I have never seen this stretch of road so snowy as it was today- really only 2 tracks were dug out, and so to go around someone both vehicles needed to put right tires into the untracked stuff. As we were there to learn about snow wheeling and recovery, you couldn't have asked for a better scenario as within a minute of leaving the parking lot we had a vehicle stuck, and a huge traffic jam.

IMG_8329.jpg

IMG_8330.jpg

IMG_8331.jpg

what made this even more special was the people we were trying to get around- a group of high school kids from Arvada West, and they honestly couldn't have been any cooler. Great attitudes, great patience, and they were psyched to learn some stuff also. We used one of their Jeeps to winch the LX470 forward and back on the road, while another 100 series strapped him from behind to make sure the rear end didn't go further downhill.

From there the group eventually made it to the start of the trail, where we did one more driver training on snow/ice climbing, then proceeded one by one to all ascend the first little hill climb to the right, before you hit the main road again. If you know the area, well you know the spot. I didn't get any pics of this but do have some videos, will work on posting them later.

We then debriefed a little bit more in the parking lot up on the main road (York Gulch), and then about half the group headed down and home, the other half headed up to meet up with the other guys who left the parking lot earlier.

Only gripe was we did encounter some impatient SxS drivers, but managed to let them play through as soon as it was possible. Everyone else I ran into was pretty cool though, and I'll tell you I don't know that I've ever seen that area this busy. Thanks again to everyone who came out and participated, I hope this was worth while for you it certainly was for me.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Would be interested to know some of the differences of opinion you took note of…

Paparoot

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for putting this together. My Grandson and I enjoyed the day. I learned some new stuff and i think he did also.

cjlynch12

Brand New
This was such a great time! Perfect first event for me (green taco) to attend. Thanks a lot for putting this together. Really enjoyed the 4x4 recovery team and was good to get a little driving in as well. Looking forward to more meet ups!

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Thanks again for putting this on, learned a lot and sort of got to practice it at the end of the day when I was following the red 60 from the main run back out to the lot. He got stuck in some snow on the left on the green trail out (luckily no hillside issues to threaten a rollover). Unfortunately we got kind of rushed as a sxs with a medical emergency was stuck behind us. Winch to a tree ended up being the quickest answer.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Also looking forward to the videos.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Thanks again for putting this on, learned a lot and sort of got to practice it at the end of the day when I was following the red 60 from the main run back out to the lot. He got stuck in some snow on the left on the green trail out (luckily no hillside issues to threaten a rollover). Unfortunately we got kind of rushed as a sxs with a medical emergency was stuck behind us. Winch to a tree ended up being the quickest answer.
I was bummed @PVCsnorkel had to bow out so early. One of these days I’ll put mine back together and we’ll need to do a 60s only run.

Glad you guys got out safely!

Dan

T. Rechs

Rock Stacker
Thanks Tim for putting this on! It was such a great event and I learned a bunch of valuable info from the parking lot chat and run up the first part of the trail. Cheers!

Bryan

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
I was bummed @PVCsnorkel had to bow out so early. One of these days I’ll put mine back together and we’ll need to do a 60s only run.

Glad you guys got out safely!

Dan
It's all good. My carburetor was my weak point and limited my ability make it up the big hill. I doubled back, linked up with the intro group and still had a blast! I look forward to trying the hill again with a different carb setup.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Did you get anymore pictures/videos by chance? Hoping maybe someone got video of me on that climb.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Did you get anymore pictures/videos by chance? Hoping maybe someone got video of me on that climb.
I got a couple other vids, but none of your rig, sorry.