New (Forum) Member Introduction

Stephen Reavill

Brand New
Hey everyone, thanks to @DanielChase for recommending me to join. Hopefully I can work on becoming a full member as time goes on.

So, a little about me I suppose, live up North of most of you between Ault and Briggsdale off of highway 14. Basing go north on 25 until you hit the last Fort Collins exit, then go east about 30-35 miles and that's me. Currently have 5 vehicles which is way too many, A 2018 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed SLE 4x4 6.0l gasser it does everything but pass a gas station so that's good, my daily is a 2014 Chevy Cruze 2.0l turbo diesel which is ironic I own one of the largest gas trucks GM makes and the smallest diesel car that GM makes but I like to be unique like that, the Cruze has a couple pieces of the exhaust system gone and a little bit of a tune if you get the idea so fun little car can push into the low 50 MPG range on the highway if you treat it right. Then I have a (Well, 2) 1997 Toyota Century's, v12's fun cars. One is my personal one that I'm trying to rent out on Driveshare/Turo if you're interested in learning more about that let me know. The other Century is currently forsale as I'm in the beginning stages of setting up a car importing business and we'll be bringing in more cool cars and Toyota 4x4's and stuff like that so if you're interested in that we can have that conversation. Final vehicle which is what landed me here, is I have a 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4L Diesel, Automatic I think it might have a couple inch lift from a previous owner, wide body kit, 33's pretty much stock other than some engine work that has been done, I'll attach some pictures, paint is mostly garbage like a lot of older Toyota's unfortunately. So those are my 5 vehicles currently as a side note I would also recommend Grundy Insurance for those who have collector / imported vehicles even older Toyotas that aren't nice I got on their insurance with my Hilux Surf so clearly they're not that picky, but they also allow you to insure your daily drivers and trucks unlike Hagerty. Can't say enough good things about them as an insurance company I've unfortunately have had to use them fortunately not on any of my import vehicles but they did what they said they'd do and even above that in my opinion not trying to turn this into a sales pitch I have no affiliation but just wanted to share that bit of knowledge as it's good to invest in good protection to keep our beloved Toyotas and others on the road.

So, the unfortunate part of my Hilux which I'll tell the long story here since it's my introduction. Bought it on Cars and Bids in mid 2021 for about $9,800 thought cool not a terrible price. Went from here in Colorado to Phoenix AZ to pick it up, and I was naïve and bought it without really inspecting anything I get it out on the highway after purchasing it to drive it back home and it starts over heating, start looking closer it's leaking oil from front main seal, rear main seal, various other places oil leaks from, ended up having to leave it there, fly back to Colorado, then the next weekend drive down there with my truck and trailer, pick it up and drive back, got it home, found out the new custom Griffin radiator the owner had installed was ballooned, the vertical fluid channels whatever you call them in the radiator that separate the fins got enough pressure to expand and crushed the fins so it was only getting maybe 20-30% of the airflow it should have. Pulled the motor myself, started taking it apart, ordered parts I needed from Australia, Covid's pretty big by this time, my parts get stuck in customs for about 5-6 months. One box showed up like a month before the other box, and of course the 2nd box had the stuff I actually needed. So now it's winter time, don't have a heated shop area and I decide I'd take the motor to a shop in Fort Collins that agreed to take on the project just because they thought it'd be cool kind of a hey I'm in no rush work on this as you have extra time or whatever and just charge me by the hour. They were cool did it, put it back together for me with all of the new seals and motor mounts and head gasket and stuff I bought for it about 3k dollars in labor. Was running mostly okay when they got done other than a lack of power, would only go about 55-60 MPH max and even small hills out here in the planes would slow it down to 40-45 mph by the top. I thought well older small diesel maybe that's just kinda how it is I know they're not a power house at like 90 HP from the factory. Now, it's to the point it has even worse power, it's stalling out if you let the RPM's go to low so even shifting between drive and reverse if you don't rev it up and basically drop it into gear it'll stall out. So it's currently sitting and hasn't moved for awhile. Between buying it, having to go to AZ twice with fuel and last minute plane costs, parts, labor at the shop I took it to, various crap I'm probably 16-17k dollars into this stupid thing and sort of done with it mentally. But I would really like to save it as it's really a good basically 99% rust free vehicle judging by the paint has never been in an accident and repaired don't think it was close to any salt water because of the no rust. So it's a good platform to build off of but I'm stuck between just trying to find a new used engine / trans combo and throwing it in lets say I could get one for I don't know, 4-5k dollars I can do most all of the work putting it in myself and not have to pay much more for labor at a shop, Or, take it to a shop (or maybe, someone here is a backyard mechanic that can help me for cash wink wink) and spend the money to get it rebuilt again and running good but I don't know if the motor is still good after all it's been through without actually being re-machined. I had it at Revhard Motors in Denver for them to do an inspection and they concluded from my memory this was a year or longer ago that the head is not properly shimmed and so they'd be probably in the 3-4k dollar range to get that done plus as it goes at a mechanic other things pop up and you might as well do this and do that while you're there or something else is broken and needs fix then I'm 5 or 6 or 7k into it which I really don't want to be. So any advice on that would be greatly appreciated or if someone wrote me a $9,800 check which is what I paid for it I'd sell it to you and it can be your project instead of mine and you get everything I've bought for it. I personally think getting a new motor for it is the way to go as I can just drop it in (hopefully) and it'll run as a good Toyota should instead of fighting this one. So if someone wanted to buy my motor that's in there now so I can put that money towards another one and you can rebuild it yourself as a project for your Toyota or Jeep or rock crawler or whatever you have going on. I appreciate any advice on the subject or offers for service if you can help fix it up for me but paying shops their 120-150+ an hour rates is just too much money for me at the moment as I'm trying to get the car import thing going cash is king in that business so I need to not spend too much. But heck if you're a good mechanic and want 60 an hour cash maybe we can work that out if we can figure out what it needs done. Now I'm just rambling so I'll leave it at that, but hopeful one way or another I can maybe get this thing running again by late summer or early fall and maybe get into a couple trail rides with you guys as that's the main goal to have fun and enjoy this life and nature while we're still allowed to do so.

Toyota Hilux 2.jpg
20230310_181727.jpg

20230310_181711.jpg

20230310_182308.jpg

20230310_182056.jpg

20230310_181946.jpg

Hilux.jpg

20221008_140936.jpg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Welcome!
We have another guy in the club with a Century as well... @Doughboy likes the RHD vehicles.

Stephen Reavill

Brand New
Welcome!
We have another guy in the club with a Century as well... @Doughboy likes the RHD vehicles.
Honestly the Century's are such nice cars it's kinda crazy especially the 2nd gens which ran from 1997 to 2017. A 4 door 5 litre v12 sedan with all of this cool tech and comfort features some of the cheaper ones you can pick up for the mid teens on various auction sites still with under 150k miles. The nicer ones are 20-30k dollar I've seen some that are basically brand new 20-30k miles and they're maybe 28 or 29 or 30k which is still cheaper than you can buy a new Camry for lol. I like to feel special though which is why it's more fun to get RHD Toyotas or other cars I should've bought a US 4runner and then I wouldn't be in the spot I'm in now wasting a bunch of money but then I'd just be another guy with a 4 runner like everyone else lol. But what's life without a little adventure if everything always works out that's no fun I need stories to tell my grand kids one day (hopefully) lol. But appreciate the welcome hopefully I can get the Hilux up and running again so I can show it off to you guys one day.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Welcome! I make my way up to your neck of the grasslands every couple months for work at Chevron's Briggsdale facility. You are up in the windy area! Great kite flying country1🫣

Stephen Reavill

Brand New
Welcome! I make my way up to your neck of the grasslands every couple months for work at Chevron's Briggsdale facility. You are up in the windy area! Great kite flying country1🫣
It really is good for flying kites out here we have several of them just for fun lol. You can basically tie them off to a fence and it'll fly all day. Fun little fact not that long ago Weld county put out a petition to leave Colorado and join Wyoming lol. But yeah that little Briggsdale gas station is interesting, hardly go there because it's too expensive unless it's just to fill up a gas tank for the generator or something when power goes out. But that's your last fuel stop between Briggsdale and Sterling so it's a life line for a lot of people especially the ones that live east of Briggsdale but not close enough to go into Sterling. They keep building more and more houses around Ault though so I hope eventually people start upgrading Briggsdale a bit maybe we can get a little grocery store out here or something but I doubt it.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I've been to that station but it is not where I go for work. I visit the Briggsdale oil treatment facility to help them deal with contaminated waste products.

Stephen Reavill

Brand New
I've been to that station but it is not where I go for work. I visit the Briggsdale oil treatment facility to help them deal with contaminated waste products.

Very cool. Definitely a lot of oil field jobs out here. If you ever break down out here or get stuck let me know might be able to help you out lol. We try to look out for each other out here if we can.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
welcome from the north...i'm across the border in burns wyoming (about 15 minutes north of hereford)

Stephen Reavill

Brand New
Very cool, you have the same color as the one I'm trying to sell but it has fender mirrors. I heard you're having air ride issues, let me know if you ever need anything I'm no mastic mechanic or expert on these cars but that being said I'm working with a guy in Japan who ran an import dealer in New Zealand for 20+ years and we're going to be bringing cars over, as well as possibly sneak some parts over in the cars too to avoid shipping costs on the heavy stuff for resale. Not sure yet when the next car we're bring over will be hopefully sometime in the next 3 or 4 months but just gotta find the right deals. Definitely feel free to reach out at any point if there's something you'd be interested in getting over here as long as you're not in a rush to get it.

Attachments

• 20230825_111734.jpg
    20230825_111734.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20230828_162643.jpg
    20230828_162643.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
Yeah the rear bags don't want to hold air. Toyota discontinued them and the later century models are still being made but from looking at them, the mounting plates seem to be different... I wish mine had the fender mirrors.

Stephen Reavill

Brand New
Yeah the rear bags don't want to hold air. Toyota discontinued them and the later century models are still being made but from looking at them, the mounting plates seem to be different... I wish mine had the fender mirrors.

Yeah the air bags seem to be a very common thing on these cars unfortunately just because of their age and the rubber / plastic pieces don't last forever no matter how well built a car is. And I've heard since Japan is a very humid wet country being an island and Colorado being a dry high elevation state it can dry out the rubber pieces even faster and develop cracks and leaks. I would maybe look into if there's a custom like low rider shop or something like that around Denver there has to be someone but those guys that make custom low riders and hydraulic suspensions for show cars and like the bouncy cars I forgot what they call them but either way if anyone's capable of making a custom setup or having the knowledge to fix certain things it'd have to be a shop like that. Unfortunately I can't imagine it's cheap to go that route either unless they find an easy fix. But maybe it's rebuildable.

There's a big Youtuber called the Car Wizard if you've ever heard of him. He has a shop in Newton Kansa called Omega Auto Clinic which is only about 8 hours from us which sucks because it's far but not like, that far. Anyway, he works on anything from a Camry to a Ferrari in his shop might be worth it to see if he knows anyone that can rebuild a the bags on the rear shocks for you if that is the issue. You want to make sure it's actually the shocks though because it could also just be an air line or valve or something in the system that's broken which would be an easier thing to replace. Just sucks because by the time you get the labor in to figure that out it might be more than a set of used shocks from somewhere.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Welcome to the forum!