Colorado Big Game

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nada! Lots of moose and many nice deer but never even seen 1 Elk. Pretty bummed. :(

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
That's too bad guys. That makes 3 of us regular producers with no elk this year. Oh well, can't get em every year.:(

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I got a small (I'll call him a fork bull) at above treeline in unit 481 which allows smaller bulls to be taken. I had to hike up nearly 2500 ft to get him and the multiple hikes to get the meat was a BEEATCH. I will not shoot one up that high again and I'm glad he was "small". I'll try to post a pic tonight.

It was my first Elk and I dropped him at a little over 200 yds. Weird shot because he was a couple hundred feet below me in elevation.

a551bb4b393b441c308c039e1f1d2587.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I got a small (I'll call him a fork bull) at above treeline in unit 481 which allows smaller bulls to be taken. I had to hike up nearly 2500 ft to get him and the multiple hikes to get the meat was a BEEATCH. I will not shoot one up that high again and I'm glad he was "small". I'll try to post a pic tonight.

It was my first Elk and I dropped him at a little over 200 yds. Weird shot because he was a couple hundred feet below me in elevation.

Congratulations! Pack out only meat and no bone and your legs and back will thank you!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I had one hind leg quarter, and both front shoulders (meat only) in my pack. It was heavy! I had to lay the pack on the ground, then lay on the pack and strap it on...then roll over onto my stomach/knees and then wobble to a stand. The terrain was so steep and snowing that I think I slid halfway down on my ars!

23f80ca0fd416d341b86b947f5150bb8.jpg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Here is how high we were?

6a1f41dc71492c2e182b5ac6ad4b7c6b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I had one hind leg quarter, and both front shoulders (meat only) in my pack. It was heavy! I had to lay the pack on the ground, then lay on the pack and strap it on...then roll over onto my stomach/knees and then wobble to a stand. The terrain was so steep and snowing that I think I slid halfway down on my ars!

23f80ca0fd416d341b86b947f5150bb8.jpg

Nicely done! It's hard when you do it and you often question if it's worth it before you make it all the way back but the adrenaline and endorphin's it generates make you addicted to it! I love Elk and bear hunting! Most satisfying torture you can ever do to yourself I think!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Nice work Paul!!

Thanks, Marco. I really didn't think I could hike that far. It is by far the furthest and highest I have hiked since my spinal cord injury. I don't think I would have gone up there if I hadn't seen the elk hanging out in the snow fields above tree line with my binoculars! I've been paying for it a little bit since then, but I'm hoping my muscles have just about quit spasming.

I'm glad I did it. As UB says, it was very satisfying after picking the meat up at Steve's in Arvada!

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Nice job Paul. That should make future years pack out look easy.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Insane but I did not draw 10 Bull. Guess 23 points will be the magic freaking number! :rolleyes:

wesintl

RS Moderator
WTF.. holy smokes 23...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I always put in for points on other species too and then hunt on second choice or leftover draw. I now have 5 bear points! Next year I should be able to pull that trophy Rugsteak tag anywhere in the state that I want in addition to a cap tag. Need about 4 more moose points and two more Big Horn. BTW my Turbogoat mount will be done in the next couple weeks....I'm stoked! :thumb::thumb:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
We didn't get our group Muzzle elk tag in 24 as expected. 2 points wasn't good enough. Oh well. If it was like last year being warm and elk still in the rut. 1st season rifle will be just fine again.