• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Project Milly - FJ40th build

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
So today I picked up a parts truck to start the rebuild of my 40 series. The plan is to graft the body, modified, on an 80 Series chassis. We are resurrecting my 40 with a 40th. The plan is not completely set and will be discussed with my son Bridger as this is a father/son build. He is 13 now. Could go many ways. Plan will be to strip down the 80-series this summer and get the roller into the shop. We’ll do all the body work first then figure out the power train plan later. Probably ride on 37’s.

The two trucks in question.
9DFC86B0-2306-4A49-9EAA-1AEF54EAC613.jpeg

The 80 has 290K, blown HG, and has body damage on both doors and rear quarter on the passenger side. my 40 was totaled by an engine fire in 2001.

The following represent some other builds out there that offer inspiration to this build.

View: https://youtu.be/1jwX5cSmkVo
Brennan’s LX45, this is a local truck to me.

8BB407EB-0A7A-4AEE-B02D-206562DB5F23.jpeg
Box Rocket cad creation

60658B9A-9E06-4969-9FC3-61EBB9D2F8C6.jpeg

Gary’s UZJ45

54542C0F-EF5F-4B15-B765-584F271181C2.jpeg

Mike’s 45 extended cab

05B8E40E-9CDB-4C0A-ADF4-0993F86982A4.jpeg

I don’t know the owner of this but have always loved it. See it in town occasionally, lives in NM.

34C7DBFD-B539-457F-9249-2CB0EB1DC91F.jpeg

The various sweet Australian camping canopy builds. This one being my favorite.

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Milly, what’s in a name?

In 1996 I moved west from Madison, WI and landed in SLC, UT with a couple college buddies to ski. My car died shortly before moving so my father dropped me off in UT and drove home. I commuted by bike for 2+ years. And had been for the most part in Madison before moving only driving my car to ski in the winter. I rode my bike to work year round there also.

Late in 1998 I decided it was potentially time to grow up and get a real job. While the ski/bike bum life was fun it wasn’t going to last forever. I needed to find a “real job”. Somewhat hard to do when you arrived to in interview on a bicycle drenched in sweat. So I bit the bullet and called home. I explained my desire to my father to quit the bike shop and seek more professional employment but I needed a car. He asked what I wanted and at the time I told him an old Subaru seemed practical. He agreed. My Grandmother had passed in 11/1997 and her estate had finally closed. He said there was $4500 remaining and he would send me the money.

The money arrived a week later and my roommate loaned me his Jeep on a weekday so I could search the used car lots for a Subaru. I spent all day looking but couldn’t find a decent Subie in my budget. I also realized that at 6’ I really didn’t fit in an old DL/GL Subaru. At the end of the day I drove home in frustration and passed a rusty FJ40 parked in the front yard of a home a couple blocks from my apartment. I stoped to inquire and found a housewife with newborn twins at the door. She instructed me to call back later when her husband got home. So I got my roommate from work and walked down there that evening. The rest is history. I had to add a couple hundred bucks to my budget but I drove it home that night. He cried as he signed the title over to me. They had just bought he house, for the new born twins. It needed work and his toy had to go. He did a SBC swap but other than that is was stock with two baby seats strapped down to the rear jumps.

I was not a Cruiser guy and really didn’t even know what it was, just that it had 4x4 and the top came off. Dad was not impressed when I reported the good news the next day but the deal was done. It ran and I did find a more professional sales job about a year later. It got a 2” lift some 33’s and a new stroker 383 in the coming years. Cruiser outfitters built me a rear bumper. For my late 20’s it was fun but still a POS rusty 40. My father did come out to visit and we took it on a camping trip. Ran it down to Zion and he admitted he liked the 40 and agreed it was a good truck for my lifestyle.

In the spring of 2001 a couple months after the 383 install it caught fire on I-215 and was totaled. I bought it back, but pissed away the insurance money on skis, bikes, bought a beater VW Jetta and the 40 has been in storage since.

It never had a name. For this rebuild we are naming it after my Grandmother Mildred, she went by Milly for short.

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
This is going to be awesome!

scheefdog

Excited to see what you do! Are you going to do a truck or a troopy?

This is the final year of Aqualu producing land cruiser bodies in case you are considering using a tub (and bed?) from them.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Body decision has not been made yet. And the Aqualu situation is a bummer as I was considering that direction. But wasn’t planning on that expense this year. So it looks like we will be building what ever body from the 40 which kind of sucks as the fire damage to the cowl is hard to repair. I may have to find another 40 tub.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
This is too cool!! The history, the story, and the build. I for one can't wait to read and see more! Ill also be your guy for some of those cast off 40th parts.

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
Excited for this!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Officially started dismantling the parts truck today. Bridger learning how things come out. We pulled rear seats, carpet and interior trim. Saved the good stuff everything else hit the trash. Lots of mouse 💩

IMG_8826.jpeg

IMG_8829.jpeg

IMG_8828.jpeg

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Yup same truck as the final one I’m my first post.
Oh, lol! I should pay more attention. His kitchen build came up in my YouTube feed last night so there was at least 2 hours of my life pulled down that rabbit hole. I really like his approach to the entire build.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
So cool. And love resurrecting Milly! Seems like Waggoner’s was pretty bad ass if you wanted to copy something!