So... :-) Trap's 100 Build

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
It is with much excitement and relief that I announce to my Rising Sun friends that after 5 years without a Land Cruiser (Some of those years, especially the last one being particularly brutal) I am about to reenter the fold.

This would not have been possible if not for two people.

1: Gregory Gold and his Law Offices - Getting me a bananas high settlement on the damage to my totaled Suburban. ( in addition to really helping out our position on the medical side of things )

2: Brett Schell @shellb - For stepping up and offering to sell me his 100 Series at an astronomically bro-level deal when I asked him to check out a rig for sale in Denver for me.

Many of you may not know but back in the day, I traded Ige a 76 FJ55 for a 1983 FJ60 that I subsequently named Ingrid...had a lot of fun in that 60, got engaged in Moab while attending Cruise Moab. Well, to help pay for that wedding, I sold the 60 to a guy from North Carolina with a hop bud as his avatar who then ended up moving to Colorado. I think he ended up trading Ingrid for a sweet little FJ40. Brett bought that 60 in 2010...13 years ago.

Now he is returning the favor and then some by helping me get back into a cruiser, and the model I actually have wanted to go to next for 7 years.

I hope I don't offend anyone who helped keep the lights on and the bellies full with donations to our gofundme while we were in the middle of all our troubles this past year. Suffice it to say I needed to get a vehicle to replace the burb and Brett's offer made it possible for that to be a 100 Series (and to be able to responsibly afford a couple upgrades right out of the gates). And a cloth interior 100 at that! I didn't even know that existed.

Brett has also sportingly offered to take care of a few things at ATLR there in Arvada that need doing AND help facilitate a few upgrades that are going to be way easier to source and complete while it's up there and in competent hands.

It's with Brett's full approval that I get back into the game officially in this thread here on RS.

I COULD USE A LITTLE ADVICE and guidance on a few things. (And maybe some assistance??)

1: Is it likely that either Yota Jim or another Toyota specific salvage yard in Denver has a 100 series hood in inventory?
I left a message at Yota Jim's but haven't heard back...the hood took the brunt of the hail damage and was already
suffering from clear failure and sun fading. The roof under the rack, I could care less about hail.

Is it the height of naïveté to think there might exist, somewhere in Denver, a used 4P3 metallic Desert Bronze hood?

2: Front diff - I know the 99 has a two-pinion front diff. I can't afford to re-gear and lock up all at once but I might
be able to afford a used third member from a salvage yard. I've been told that 2000-2002 front diffs are plug N play
and are 4 pinion. Does anyone know of anyone with the probability of having one of those to purchase?
Stock GR is 4.11, correct?

3: I love the Non-USA Steelies Brett put on her, but I may want to move them outboard a bit. Anyone have any advice
for or against wheel spacers with this application?

4: The suspension looks pretty good to go but I may get a diff drop and some used TrailTailor UCA's for sale on mud
to help with the CV angles along with some torsion bars and torsion bar re-enforcement brackets to bring the front
up just a touch more. Current conventional wisdom on UCA's seems to be that fixed angle of correction is the way to
go on these and that the SPC's are actually hamstrung a bit by their adjustability...along with a few recent reports of
SPC's failing. I don't know if that's blown out of proportion or amplified by social media or not.

And finally, with all due deference to Brett's choices, the Dissent bumper may not make the final cut. Is anyone in RS
just scrambling for a well-patina-ed early Dissent 100 Series front bumper? If so, I'm looking for ways to pay it forward!
I'm more of an ARB/TJM/Ironman front bumper design guy. And Cristo has the ARB in-stock. But bumper isn't a priority
budget-wise. Just thought I'd throw it out there to see if someone really had an itch for it.

Let all ideas and opinions flow, they are all welcome! Especially if it's to explain why I may be full of shit on something!

Next RS meeting I can arrange it for, the beers will be on me!

Cheers RS!

JT

Attachments

• JT_Suburban_Crash_FIL1.JPG
    JT_Suburban_Crash_FIL1.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 2EED8B86-9110-4E84-A2EB-47E73AADDA51.jpeg
    2EED8B86-9110-4E84-A2EB-47E73AADDA51.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
  • 1219087B-D760-4B92-B225-36EF85FAC3E0.jpeg
    1219087B-D760-4B92-B225-36EF85FAC3E0.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 132
  • BC87CAB1-F17C-438A-8F35-4786D1D99716.jpeg
    BC87CAB1-F17C-438A-8F35-4786D1D99716.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 131
  • C07F5960-A8E6-453E-A267-798DFFED0730.jpeg
    C07F5960-A8E6-453E-A267-798DFFED0730.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
So glad you are able to do something to move forward with fun again. All you have been through this is great to see!

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
So after some conversations with Chance and Jason out at Cruiser Outfitters, I've received some clarification regarding
the front diff swap...98/99 have 4.30 gears and 2000-2002 have 4.10s so any swap to 4 pinion is going to require gears...
at that point, it seems wiser and stronger to put in a locker. Since this isn't a factory locked rear, I'm not going to monkey
with any of that for now.

Big Bucks to gear and lock front and rear...

krice118

Trail Ready
98-2002 have 4.30 2003+ switched to 4.1 when the 5 speed was introduced

98-99 is the 2-pinion Diff
00- up is the 4 pinion stronger diff

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
See, that's what I thought. It may be the case that they were just talking about thirds on hand to rebuild...IDK
He did day "later 4 pinion trucks with 4.10s' and may have not been catching the differentiation.

Last edited:

krice118

Trail Ready
See, that's what I thought. It may be the case that they were just talking about thirds on hand to rebuild...IDK
He did day "later 4 pinion trucks with 4.10s' and may have not been catching the differentiation.

For what it is worth, Many have the 2 pinion and have wheeled with no issue. Others have busted a front diff in their snowy driveway o_O

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Yeah, I've read that wheel spinning then abruptly gaining traction is what does it...which makes sense
in many scenarios...wheel in the air then coming down while spinning, mixed condition driveway partially
icy and partially dry, etc.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
I got a better response from CS at Cruiser Outfitters that seems to be the most accurate...

Hello again Justin,

Jason has asked me to assist as he is not as familiar with the 100/470 front diffs.

01/1998 thru 07/1999 is a 2-pinion 4.300:1
05/2000 thru 07/2002 is a 4-pinion 4.300:1 though we have seen some 2000's with the 2-pinion as well, likely left-overs utilized.
08/2002 (model year 2003) thru 07/2007 us a 4-pinion 4.100:1

Somewhat irrelevant as if we are rebuilding a core diff, we can re-gear to any ratio desired using new or used gears.

Unfortunately we do not have any available 4-pinion cores at this time in either the 4.300 or the 4.100.

Thanks,
CS

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Super happy this rig is going to you!

Have PPI scheduled for next Thursday at ATLR to make sure everything is up to snuff!

Let’s get the rest of the build together so that you can get a complete rig ready to roll!

CORunner

Wincher
Super happy this rig is going to you!

Have PPI scheduled for next Thursday at ATLR to make sure everything is up to snuff!

Let’s get the rest of the build together so that you can get a complete rig ready to roll!
@shellb What's up with you selling everyone that wrecks their vehicle a 100 series? HA. Joking aside @Trapper50cal good luck with the build.

Brett, the 100 you sold me is coming along nicely. Pretty much finished with the build. Just have to install a Dissent bumper I bought last year.

full