• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Colorado Big Game

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Got em in last night.

Anyone know the skinny on the preference points? I've always hesitated to use them, because I don't want to use them all at once. Do you know if they take them all for a single draw, or can you specify one at a time?

wesintl

RS Moderator
all or none.. sucks

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Got em in last night.

Anyone know the skinny on the preference points? I've always hesitated to use them, because I don't want to use them all at once. Do you know if they take them all for a single draw, or can you specify one at a time?

Preference points go to first choice. They are all in or not in. If you have been putting them in for trophy area and decide you want to go into a different area that takes less you still lose em all. Regular over the counter and left over draw do not use your points. We drew our trophy deer last year (12 points) for unit 201. This year we should draw out trophy bull tags for unit 10 (18 points). We decided to not hunt deer by draw this year but we still put in for the point as it's crazy not to! I do the same for bear. Also, pick one person in your group and always use their CID number in the group box. Clear as mud? Practice those longer shots amigo! If you wait 18 years for that trophy bull you do not want to not take the one chance shot just because its 400 yards away! :scold:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
MMM, gluten free and organically raised for you health nuts;) I've been spotting herds almost every day this week. If only it were that easy come October.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 650

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
MMM, gluten free and organically raised for you health nuts;) I've been spotting herds almost every day this week. If only it were that easy come October.

Nice! Just go out and tie one up for later!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Looked up from dinner tonight and saw this out my window :cool: There were a half dozen or so that disappeared into the trees.
Only a half dozen??

I look out regularly and see 30-40. There is a bachelor band of 6-8 muleys who frequent our yard about 3x a week too.

I decided this year to put in for tags in Evergreen (and westward). I may see familiar faces. Couldn't find anyone to join me... so it may be myself and my soon-to-be-desensitized-to-gunfire donkey in the wilderness. Assuming I am successful at getting 3rd rifle tags.

Insert donkey jokes here...

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Bill, did you put in for 3rd rifle for both elk and deer?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Only a half dozen??

Could have been more, I just caught a glimpse between trees. The heard I saw this morning on the way to work was much larger. We just see them in the neighborhood very often. Too many dogs, some loose. Wolf hi-breads behind me, Porter (looks like wolf). The elk just stay away.

The mule deer are always bedding down between us the our neighbor. They don't seem to mind Porter until he growls at them for fun.

We don't have near the grasslands you've got. Most of our neighbor hood looks like a black diamond ski run. Dense pines with needles on the forest floor. Not much to eat.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I drew both a Elk, cow and Deer, doe tag for 2nd season this year. First time I've got a deer tag in a few years:)

Excellent Corbet.

And thanks for reminding me to check!

I drew Deer second season and Elk for third. Time to start scouting.

:thumb:

I didn't draw anything this year, but my father-in-law drew a buck tag for unit 201. Hopefully I can take some time off to go help him find a nice one.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I didn't draw anything this year, but my father-in-law drew a buck tag for unit 201. Hopefully I can take some time off to go help him find a nice one.

Nice! We drew our 201 bucks last year. Have you hunted it before? Some amazing critters up there! Unfortunately, it is also the land of 3 point genetics. Many trophy class bucks with only 3 points on one side. I would be happy to share some area insights with you ....just not on line.

Nice! We drew our 201 bucks last year. Have you hunted it before? Some amazing critters up there! Unfortunately, it is also the land of 3 point genetics. Many trophy class bucks with only 3 points on one side. I would be happy to share some area insights with you ....just not on line.

I haven't hunted it, but both my father-in-law and my uncle have hunted both bucks and bull elk up there. I should have one or two more years for a buck license up there and 8 - 10 more years for a bull tag.

If you're going to the meeting next week, I'll try and pick your brain then.

My parents live down in that part of the state (Bayfield). Every year I threaten to get an archery deer tag, sit out on their balcony, drink coffee, and thin their herd by 1.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Anyone been out yet? (archery)

Bridger and I went out scouting last weekend along with the bird gun. Did not see anything but signs of deer. Going back again to swap memory cards in the camera Sunday before the games start.

Bridger working the cow call and glassing.

Attachments

• 100_0059.jpg
    100_0059.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 100_0038.jpg
    100_0038.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 417