Colorado Big Game

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I just spent the day at the kitchen counter knife in hand processing. Got a front and rear completely done. Steaks and burger fully packaged and stacked in the freezer. So at least another day ahead of me with the other two legs and the 10 or so back start & misc parts bags from the field dressing.

We did enjoy our first meal on Tuesday. Its nice to have elk again in the freezer.:thumb:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I went and retrieved my game camera this morning. I placed it above my carcass to see what would show up. Was hoping for a big cat but no luck. Still some good shots from the top of the food chain. Those Golden Eagles are HUGE.

Attachments

• WGI_0679.jpg
    WGI_0679.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 304
  • WGI_1874.jpg
    WGI_1874.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 308

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Wow! Nice!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
That's pretty cool! I never thought of putting the game cam on the carcass to see what goes bump in the night.

wesintl

RS Moderator
golden eagles are the bomb..

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Cool photos Corbet, and congrats on filling your tag/freezer.

I'm headed out in the morning for third rifle. :thumb:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
any luck Martin?

Missed an opportunity on a 4x4 bull the second day. Easy 75 yard shot, but there was a second bull closer behind a tree. I waited for the second to come out and by the time it did, they both had turned and headed uphill. The second ended up being a 4x4 also. I circled around uphill to head them off, but didn't see them again. I went out again a for couple of days this weekend and saw a bunch of mule deer, but no elk. Maybe next year, and I won't pass up an easy shot like that again!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Its a hard lesson to learn that way, but one you'll now forever remember. If your interested in food, never pass on good safe legal shot. I did once and I'll never do it again.

If your trophy hunting well then never mind.

That's the truth, and I won't pass on a shot like that again. I wasn't trophy hunting and that 4x4 would have been ideal. At that moment, I was simultaneously thinking that the closer bull might be a big one and I would regret missing the chance, and I was thinking about it being the first day of the season and I was having fun. Wasn't sure I wanted the season to end so soon and I would have plenty of opportunities. :eek:

Stubby

It's that time of year again.

2014 Big Game applications are due in a month ... don't forget! Online apps are great. Finished my section 201 Antelope and section 28 Cow Elk applications last night. The cow tag is a "B" lisence so if I'm successful, I can buy an over-the-counter bull tag too.

Pig / Turkey hunting the weekend of March 15 at my buddy's hunting lease in Junction, TX. Don't want to rub it in but I'll post pictures when I'm back!

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
We are making the switch to muzzle loading. We will at least put in as a group. I figure we probably wont draw in 34 our first year. Then hopefully we would get 1st season bull. But, are prepared to declined for that also since it would be our second choice. Which would put us into 2nd season (another winter expedition). Oh, well we have to try at some point.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Group muzzle applied for. Time to change it up and actually try to harvest a bugling bull for once.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
2nd season Elk and 3rd Deer applied for. Hunting in my back yard as usual.:thumb: Going to try to take my Elk this year with a pistol. But will not pass on a distance shot (rifle) as I'm really just in it for the food.

Teaser shot from this week. They are in the valley floors right now.

Attachments

• P1050832.jpg
    P1050832.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 273

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Looks like I got 1st Rifle for Elk and 4th rifle for deer this season. :thumb: