2024 Land Cruiser "250 series"

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Oh man, I didn't even pay attention in the presentation to the tailgate/hatch. That is a bummer for sure as I use mine on the 100 constantly. I'd trade that to double my gas mileage but it would be super nice to have it as an option. Do we know if the tailgate glass goes up and down like the 4Runner? Because that would make up some of the loss of the tailgate for me.

After a decade of Toyota going in a direction that felt (to me) devoid of listening to enthusiast feedback; I think the recent Tacoma and this potential 250 captures a lot of the commentary and actually implements it. To be honest I expected a bloated version of the Sequoia or LX at $100k+ with 22" wheels, TV's in three rows of headrests, HVAC integrated into a 18" display screen, seats without height adjustment and rear drum brakes. From the current release this does NOT look like that.
I think the issue is that enthusiasts make up very little of their market. Most people enthusiastic about the LC nameplate don't care for the new model until it's been tested and proven and bought used. Look at resale values as a partial proof. The 100 series was much maligned but eventually found its following. Toyota doesn't produce vehicles for a used market.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Yes, the tailgate will be missed. Yes, it’s closer to a Prado than a Land Cruiser. Yes, we should be able to get a new 70 series.

But let’s remember that for the longest time all we could get stateside was a fully loaded luxury vehicle. Toyota finally listened to us and gave us a slimmed down Cruiser with cloth and no sun roof!

I’m probably going to get one, they look so good!

Andrew

Rock Stacker
It strikes me as being kind of funny, the response to the 250. First pretty much everybody bitched and moaned about how big and expensive the LC had become. So they come out with a smaller less expensive one and now we complain that it's just a 4Runner and a slap in the face to the LC heritage. I don't think anyone will understand this truck until we get a chance to lay hands on it. I personally know people in my circle of friends who had significant input on the 250. And they are totally stoked about it from what I can see.

The hand wringing in general about where the 4Runner will fit in is also somewhat entertaining. We don't know what the plan is, but you can be damn sure that there is one. This is Toyota and they don't do amateur hour. :)

I think the thing that’s throwing people off regarding the new Land Cruiser is the lack of differentiation from the other models in the lineup that Toyota already has, and competitors in the segment it will be competing against. It’s nice to see it get smaller, and have a lower price tag then its predecessor.

But if you’re gonna put cloth seats and do a heritage base model, that makes it budget friendly, I think offering it with a manual transmission (like ford and jeep still both do), removable top or doors, a tailgate or anything to make it standout would have been a huge help. And heck they're putting a manual transmission behind the new Tacoma. It would've been so easy for them to do it here and it would've made a lot of enthusiast happy.

I'm not going to complain about the four-cylinder hybrid, I guess we will just have to see how it turns out, and I understand with new emission standards that's just the way that everything is moving. But geez, looking under that engine bay it looks like a rats nest that looks equally as bad as under the hood of the bronco. I’m sure they have done there homework, but being a part of the new tundra groups on Facebook it does seem like at least the six-cylinder IForce has given people a ton of issues. I hope this doesn't trickle down. I am sure Toyota has done this homework on this four-cylinder having this be in Land Cruiser and the Tacoma.

Just offering a rear locker too I don’t get. It’s cool it’s standard, but a rear locker isn’t revolutionary in any way. 4Runners can have one, tacomas and tundras can have one. Everyone else is offering front and rear lockers on there off-road vehicles. I wish Toyota had the confidence to do the same here.

Like you said though, I don’t think we will really know until people get there hands on it

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Likes: boxy body, cloth interior, mpg's, technology, and intro price
Dislikes: Bronco Sport looking rear end and likely dealership price escalation (which includes a small jar of Vaseline).

I like it but I'm not obsessing over it while trying to get to sleep at night. I do that with other Toyota's BTW.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Likes: boxy body, cloth interior, mpg's, technology, and intro price
Dislikes: Bronco Sport looking rear end and likely dealership price escalation (which DOESN’T include a small jar of Vaseline).

I like it but I'm not obsessing over it while trying to get to sleep at night. I do that with other Toyota's BTW.
Fixed it for you. 😜

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yes, the tailgate will be missed. Yes, it’s closer to a Prado than a Land Cruiser. Yes, we should be able to get a new 70 series.

But let’s remember that for the longest time all we could get stateside was a fully loaded luxury vehicle. Toyota finally listened to us and gave us a slimmed down Cruiser with cloth and no sun roof!

I’m probably going to get one, they look so good!
All true, no question.

I'm still failing to grasp - yes only in concept at the moment - how other than cosmetics is a 4 door, cloth seat, no sunroof "poverty spec" U.S. Land Cruiser built on this chassis different than the SR5 4Runner.

I suppose having a standard locker where it would require going to TRD on the 4Runner is one thing.

But what else? Different engines? Different frame or suspension? Different drivetrain or gearing? Not from what I see so far but I dunno, maybe there will be mechanical differences when the full deets are available.

Toyota says the TNGA-F is to be shared on all their body-on-frame trucks so maybe the future marketing path is they'll all just be names on a vehicle where it's tweaked dimensions and bodywork and various options matrices. If you think about it the Hilux, Tacoma, 4Runner, Prado, FJC, GX, Surf were kind of already that. The 200, LX, Tundra and Sequoia were the other platform.

That would mean Toyota is just making one non-70 series platform (the 300 is apparently TGNA-F) now with models slotted into various niches. In my view as someone who's gone RN110 mini truck -> 120 series (loosely derived) Tacoma I guess it's a benefit if Toyota makes the models of interest to me more global.

Someone coming from a 80/100/200 is the one who's flagship Land Cruiser got downgraded to a Land Cruiser Prado. But strictly speaking it may only be different in length x width x wheelbase from a 300 anyway. But my suspicion is that when Toyota says a truck "is TGNA-F" that doesn't mean unsexy stuff like frame wall thickness is identical. I've got to think a 300 destined to be a U.N. truck isn't the same as a 250 U.S. Land Cruiser that Toyota thinks most will probably only see speed humps in Aspen.

I will say even though it seems I'm critical (perhaps underwhelmed is a better way to say it) we should be glad Toyota is sticking with a body on frame and what looks like a solid rear axle.

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
My understanding is that the hybrid drivetrains get the 9.5” rear diff. Probably safe to assume that 4R will be offered with this as well but who is to say. I’m with Dave in that it appears all of these vehicles are going to share a lot under the sheetmetal. Great for manufacturing. Not sure how they will differentiate themselves other than look and size.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
IMG_3092.jpeg

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
On the 1958 (base model) trim package the back window opens out with hinges and struts independently. So you can get into the cargo area without opening the lift back. Don't know about the other trim levels.
Sweet! I always loved that feature on my FJ cruiser. I do like the slide down of the 4runner more though and the tailgate on the 100 is amazing

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

TFL just put out a vid on the new LC.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
If I were in toyota marketing dept.....

Discontinue the Land Cruiser due to low volume
Bring it back in a few months as a smaller lower cost model.

Announce 4 Runner is discontinued in 2024. If LC sales are good.

Revive another legend in 2026.

$$$$$$
Basically, the Coke/NewCoke/ClassicCoke/Coke gambit.

Or, if you like...

View: https://youtu.be/i28UEoLXVFQ

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
I think the thing that’s throwing people off regarding the new Land Cruiser is the lack of differentiation from the other models in the lineup that Toyota already has, and competitors in the segment it will be competing against. It’s nice to see it get smaller, and have a lower price tag then its predecessor.

But if you’re gonna put cloth seats and do a heritage base model, that makes it budget friendly, I think offering it with a manual transmission (like ford and jeep still both do), removable top or doors, a tailgate or anything to make it standout would have been a huge help. And heck they're putting a manual transmission behind the new Tacoma. It would've been so easy for them to do it here and it would've made a lot of enthusiast happy.

I'm not going to complain about the four-cylinder hybrid, I guess we will just have to see how it turns out, and I understand with new emission standards that's just the way that everything is moving. But geez, looking under that engine bay it looks like a rats nest that looks equally as bad as under the hood of the bronco. I’m sure they have done there homework, but being a part of the new tundra groups on Facebook it does seem like at least the six-cylinder IForce has given people a ton of issues. I hope this doesn't trickle down. I am sure Toyota has done this homework on this four-cylinder having this be in Land Cruiser and the Tacoma.

Just offering a rear locker too I don’t get. It’s cool it’s standard, but a rear locker isn’t revolutionary in any way. 4Runners can have one, tacomas and tundras can have one. Everyone else is offering front and rear lockers on there off-road vehicles. I wish Toyota had the confidence to do the same here.

Like you said though, I don’t think we will really know until people get there hands on it
The Facebook groups are misleading. The early '22 models had a thrust bearing manufacturing issue but later trucks have had far fewer problems. It's a small percentage of trucks that have had an issue and not much different from the 3UR camshaft issues

Andrew

Rock Stacker
The Facebook groups are misleading. The early '22 models had a thrust bearing manufacturing issue but later trucks have had far fewer problems. It's a small percentage of trucks that have had an issue and not much different from the 3UR camshaft issues

I guess that’s fair. Still it’s the first tundra ever that has not being able to be recommend by consumer reports which I see as an accredited source into a vehicles reliability with real peoples experiences. Also it seems the tundra has been plagued with various issues with cheap interior plastics and rattles (example seat frame plastics, creaky door cards, excessive wind noise, etc).

But to be fair it’s a new truck and every model has kinks and I do believe innovation and new drivetrains is a good thing. I’m sure people were complaining just as much when the 100 series came with the air suspension back in the day. Just hope it proves to hold up and is built with the same Land Cruiser build quality we have known from previous generations. Just currently doesn’t look like a fun engine to work on. Really excited to see it when it hits the dealerships and hope it really does live up to expectations

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
The item that is going to be of interest to me is wheeling with a hybrid. This will be a first for many. I wonder if it will take a while to iron out the kinks or if it will be great.

I do wish that this had the 3.5L hybrid from the Tundra as opposed to the 2.4L, but oh well.

I will be really interested to see a detailed pricing list for all specs as well. I suspect the biggest competition for this will be the GX. It is also likely to be quite close in pricing to the Grenadier.