2024 Land Cruiser "250 series"

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Still need topless. And SFA option. Need a Heep-killer.
It sure doesn't seem like rocket surgery, does it?

lc-ad-6.jpeg

Oh, yeah, in other news Toyota also announced the updated 2024 70 series...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UbqF89Xfek

2024_70_1_mid.png

2024_70_3_mid.png

Last edited:

Pz10420

Trail Ready
It looks good but I don't get it. USA has eaten up the 4runner for decades so I don't know why they would give us something else so similar. Maybe that is there train of thought, to appeal to the people that want a 4runner but don't want to drive the same suv as everyone else in America.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It used to be the LC came on a heavier duty chassis and drivetrain. The new Tacoma is said to have the 9.5” rear diff. So if the platform and drivetrain are the same why go LC other than a strong preference to SUV over pickup. Or the LC shorter wheelbase it will certainly be more maneuverable on the trail.
The 4Runner exists precisely because people liked the Hilux/Pickup but wanted a real back seat and some cargo space. They wanted a Land Cruiser wagon but smaller and cheaper.

The Cruiser was bigger and heavier but both trucks were overbuilt for their size. Now we get these watered down trucks. I'm a mini truck and 90/120/150/Hilux platform (e,g. GX/4R/Taco) fan and even to me this feels more insulting than the FJ Cruiser to the Land Cruiser heritage.

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
It looks good but I don't get it. USA has eaten up the 4runner for decades so I don't know why they would give us something else so similar. Maybe that is there train of thought, to appeal to the people that want a 4runner but don't want to drive the same suv as everyone else in America.

Yes yes. I think they will capitalize on the Land Cruiser name. I for one am very excited about a new Land Cruiser that doesn’t cost $100k.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It strikes me as being kind of funny, the response to the 250. First pretty much everybody bitched and moaned about how big and expensive the LC had become. So they come out with a smaller less expensive one and now we complain that it's just a 4Runner and a slap in the face to the LC heritage. I don't think anyone will understand this truck until we get a chance to lay hands on it. I personally know people in my circle of friends who had significant input on the 250. And they are totally stoked about it from what I can see.

The hand wringing in general about where the 4Runner will fit in is also somewhat entertaining. We don't know what the plan is, but you can be damn sure that there is one. This is Toyota and they don't do amateur hour. :)

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Now we get these watered down trucks. I'm a mini truck and 90/120/150/Hilux platform (e,g. GX/4R/Taco) fan and even to me this feels more insulting than the FJ Cruiser to the Land Cruiser heritage.
I disagree, I don't think it's an insult at all. I had a KZJ78 Prado and loved it. It was a great size.
I think we have been asking for a smaller, less luxurious land cruiser for years. The 100 was a great size (okay maybe a little too big), the 80 was a better size, and the 200 and 300/sequoia is too big for tight trails (I'm thinking of "the squeeze" on E hill). I am super excited about the new LC 250 and maybe that's because you can't swing a stick without hitting a 4Runner. I like the 4runner as a platform but wouldn't buy one simply because every mom owns one. I would spend more money on a SR5 like LC 250 than I would on a 4Runner TRD pro. Just my $.02.

Edit: I am excited to see what Toyota does with the next generation 4Runner though!

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I'd definitely drive one of these!

I like the boxiness and size, they reversed some of the "bloat" the LC and Sequoia were getting. Power plant is a cool change to see range growing without a ton of weight added. If it truly is at a 55k price point I think they will sell a few.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd definitely drive one of these!

I like the boxiness and size, they reversed some of the "bloat" the LC and Sequoia were getting. Power plant is a cool change to see range growing without a ton of weight added. If it truly is at a 55k price point I think they will sell a few.
I heard from an owner of a dealership last night that he thought it would be around 30k. I was bummed when i saw the 55k (not that i'm buying one)..

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Two 100series love my tailgate!

That said….
Heretical thought - why not a slide out shelf for the 250? I rented a 22 or 23 4 runner that had a slide out shelf in the back.
OEM or 3rd party accessory that gives back that tailgate benefit?

Roketdriver

Rock Stacker
Two 100series love my tailgate!

That said….
Heretical thought - why not a slide out shelf for the 250? I rented a 22 or 23 4 runner that had a slide out shelf in the back.
OEM or 3rd party accessory that gives back that tailgate benefit?
That's something I thought about, but it would have to be beefy enough for me to sit/stand on. It's a good idea

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
It strikes me as being kind of funny, the response to the 250. First pretty much everybody bitched and moaned about how big and expensive the LC had become. So they come out with a smaller less expensive one and now we complain that it's just a 4Runner and a slap in the face to the LC heritage. I don't think anyone will understand this truck until we get a chance to lay hands on it. I personally know people in my circle of friends who had significant input on the 250. And they are totally stoked about it from what I can see.

The hand wringing in general about where the 4Runner will fit in is also somewhat entertaining. We don't know what the plan is, but you can be damn sure that there is one. This is Toyota and they don't do amateur hour. :)
My thoughts exactly. People calling it "watered down" and "an expensive 4runner" have yet to lay eyes on it let alone drive it or do some inflation math. Spoilers: my 2023 tundra only costs a couple thousand more than a similar trim Tundra in 1998.

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
The people calling it an expensive 4runner have never owned a land cruiser. But I'd you want to argue it, they are all built on the GA-F platform. I'm excited for it, and I can see myself buying one after school

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I disagree, I don't think it's an insult at all. I had a KZJ78 Prado and loved it. It was a great size.
I think we have been asking for a smaller, less luxurious land cruiser for years. The 100 was a great size (okay maybe a little too big), the 80 was a better size, and the 200 and 300/sequoia is too big for tight trails (I'm thinking of "the squeeze" on E hill). I am super excited about the new LC 250 and maybe that's because you can't swing a stick without hitting a 4Runner. I like the 4runner as a platform but wouldn't buy one simply because every mom owns one. I would spend more money on a SR5 like LC 250 than I would on a 4Runner TRD pro. Just my $.02.

Edit: I am excited to see what Toyota does with the next generation 4Runner though!
I can see the Prado slot, as well as the Hilux Surf slot. Do they normally sell both trucks in the same market? They may, I really have no idea their global lineups. It seems that it's fairly U.S.-centric but we have a lot of overlap. For years the Cruiser (and LX) was the big wagon, 80, 100, 200. The GX was the Prado and the 4Runner the Hilux Surf (although these two vehicles root lineage may be debatable). Some overlap but different buyers for the most part. We in the secondary market are not important so that we treat the GX and LX as interchangeable with their Toyota equivalents isn't of their concern. But it seems confusing now to me since everything is really sort of the same platform, none of our trucks (except the LX) being a "real" Hilux, 70 or 300 series. And even with putting all the different skins on the same platform they haven't addressed the two-door nimble trail rig. And in fact by killing off the regular cab Tacoma have literally nothing with a short wheelbase at all. The Tacoma and Tundra are by legal necessity derived from a brew of trucks, that's just the way it is for that. I don't guess I see why the Sequoia couldn't be a 300 series and carry a Land Cruiser badge. I doubt anyone would miss that model in the market.

Last edited:

Burt88

Trail Ready
I feel sad for America. It's an SUV for sure. It shouldn't have been surrounded with so much hype as the "return of the Land Cruiser" It's like when Jeep announced the Renegade a few years back and all it was was a Jeep Patriot with X's on the tail lights. If we had a proper selection of Land Cruisers like the range of 70 series and even the vastly overpriced flagship from 3 years ago this would be a great addition. But to carry the badge all by itself is a depressing notion.

I will say though that Toyota was spot on when they teased us with an FJ62 which was marketed for country club oriented society as a supplemental SUV with bad weather capability.

I think I've held on to the nostalgia of Land Cruisers long enough and today the American Land Cruiser is no more.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
40 guys said the same stuff when the 60 came out, 60 guys said the same when 80's came out, so on and so on...

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
My disappointment in the lack of a split tailgate is immeasurable.

I like a lot about this new LC but not including the one feature I consider a "need' is a hard dealbreaker.
Oh man, I didn't even pay attention in the presentation to the tailgate/hatch. That is a bummer for sure as I use mine on the 100 constantly. I'd trade that to double my gas mileage but it would be super nice to have it as an option. Do we know if the tailgate glass goes up and down like the 4Runner? Because that would make up some of the loss of the tailgate for me.

After a decade of Toyota going in a direction that felt (to me) devoid of listening to enthusiast feedback; I think the recent Tacoma and this potential 250 captures a lot of the commentary and actually implements it. To be honest I expected a bloated version of the Sequoia or LX at $100k+ with 22" wheels, TV's in three rows of headrests, HVAC integrated into a 18" display screen, seats without height adjustment and rear drum brakes. From the current release this does NOT look like that.

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
... Do we know if the tailgate glass goes up and down like the 4Runner? Because that would make up some of the loss of the tailgate for me. ...
On the 1958 (base model) trim package the back window opens out with hinges and struts independently. So you can get into the cargo area without opening the lift back. Don't know about the other trim levels.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Marianne commented this morning how cool the mustard like yellow looked and I agreed. She said get one if you want but I’m still leaning towards the new Tacoma unless something changes my mind. I love what they did with the new LC just see more value in the Tacoma right now. It makes more sense as a DD. My 80 Series is no where near ready for the pasture for the trail.

If only I could have that new 70 Series :banghead:

Last edited: