• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2024 Land Cruiser "250 series"

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I couldn’t find a good answer either. But I hate all the corrective driving features of my wife’s Outback and deactivate them when ever I drive it. Best I can tell is that the “assist” system works when cruise control is on and the “keep” system allows you to activate it without cruise?

we have that stuff in the Leaf... used to hate it, but lately the wife flipped it back on as she works overnight shifts sometimes, and actually doesn't mind a little beep/vibration if she goes over the line. And now Violet has her permit, and it's been kind of nice to have someone else tell her to stay centered in her lane... kind of a cool training tool. And then all of this is required if you go to hands free cruise control, which IMO is a neat party trick but nothing I'd really use personally. Anyway, I can see the benefit, just so long as it's possible to turn it all off.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Pretty soon you'll just stick a flash drive in the car, program the self-driving feature to follow a route, sit back and wait for it to return with the video from the 37 onboard cameras.

Just think, never troubled to actually be a functioning, thinking human being ever again.

Sweet.

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Local dealer (Naperville) owns both Toyota and Lexus. Tells me the LC list is about 20 plus names. Have to come in to talk details to get on list. No deposit until they find the truck I want or one close. Don’t do dealer markups on Toyota or Lexus.
Can spec how I want but it’s up to the allocation or what they can swap with other dealers to get a vehicle configured the way I want. Same with the 550. Says Toyota/Lexus doesn’t let you build and order from factory.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Pretty soon you'll just stick a flash drive in the car, program the self-driving feature to follow a route, sit back and wait for it to return with the video from the 37 onboard cameras.

Just think, never troubled to actually be a functioning, thinking human being ever again.
For a lot of people I see on the road every day, having a computer handling the controls would be an improvement.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
For a lot of people I see on the road every day, having a computer handling the controls would be an improvement.
Yeah, true. Their lack of higher brain activity is punishment that we get blah cars that about as fun to drive as a bumper car at the county fair. But to be honest they are screwing up lots of once fun things. Lawn Darts anyone?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
My wife's 2021 RAV4 has that business, I think they called it "adaptive cruise control" but when you read about it in the owner's manual it kind of sounds like self-driving. We've never used it, my wife doesn't trust it LOL.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Looks like the dealer here in Santa Maria CA will be allocated x1 Heritage Blue First Edition, coming in somewhere between 4/6-22.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
My Mom's new Highlander has the Lane Keep Assist (LKA). With adaptive cruise, the car pretty much drives itself. It forces the driver to keep a hand on the wheel to remain active. I have been able to go over 10 miles on the interstate without making a single correction to the steering wheel or throttle before. In Kansas, I bet you could go more than 50 miles.

Some cars are great with the LKA and others suck. The 2014 911 Turbo S I rented had LKA and it SUCKED. It would forcibly steer the car back into the lane.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My ex's Audi E-Tron had absolutely horrible lane assistance. It would absolutely jerk the steering wheel if you got close to a solid white/yellow line. Hated that car in general, but the lane assistance was terrifying.

My 2023 CR-V (yeah, let the flaming begin) has lane assistance, but I've never used it. Might give it a shot on the way home from work today.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Has Toyota said what diffs (front and rear) will be in the new LC? Ring gear size, etc.?

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Has anyone seen pics or in person what the back space looks like in the new LC?
The pics of the GX550h don’t look well thought out.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
If that is what it ends up looking like...it is AWFUL!!! Just another reason to skip the Hybrid.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Has anyone seen pics or in person what the back space looks like in the new LC?
The pics of the GX550h don’t look well thought out.
Lots of videos showing that same junk in the trunk for the LC battery.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
They have built up the area around the battery which can be removed if I recall, so it is more of a flat space but still takes up a lot of the floor.
1709664580817.png

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
They have built up the area around the battery which can be removed if I recall, so it is more of a flat space but still takes up a lot of the floor.

That looks like what I kind of recall from Kurt's video. It looks like a good bit of usable space. I suspect the spare might be hiding under there as well, like other Land Cruiser wagons (as in accessible from under the rig, not from inside like many SUVs).

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
The rear definitely has some issues buy historic standards. The LC looks to have cubby’s built up around the battery for storage. Makes for a flat cargo area but not desirable if you install drawers or a fridge slide if your OEM jack and tools are trapped below. I’m struggling with a plan to install my fridge in a way that does not require me climbing into the cargo area to access it. I’m sure the aftermarket will solve for a price. Will have to wait until mine is in the driveway to figure it out.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Looks like the dealer closest to us here in CA will be getting a Heritage Blue 1st Edition. The online sales rep says that they will be using it as a demo before they put it up for sale. The Toyota dealer in Bakersfield is receiving x2 1st Editions, MSRP: $76,545 (Black) and $76,345 (Silver). The sales rep there said they will be marking them up about $6,490...

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I officially turned down a first edition. It would have been black/black for color which is a no go for me at any price. Plus I didn’t want to pay for all the equipment it comes with that I’d end up replacing. Roof rack, rock rails etc…. So someone else in Durango got it.