2024 Land Cruiser "250 series"

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Am I missing something in this video? Kurt said that a rear locking differential has not been available on a US model Land Cruiser since the 90's? I seem to recall 100's and early 200's having rear lockers. Am I wrong?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Am I missing something in this video? Kurt said that a rear locking differential has not been available on a US model Land Cruiser since the 90's? I seem to recall 100's and early 200's having rear lockers. Am I wrong?
200's never had rear locker. The 100 series last one I think was 1999, so yes you are wrong :)

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
200's never had rear locker. The 100 series last one I think was 1999, so yes you are wrong :)
I thought that 200's had a locker option until 2016 (but I am not an expert and am most likely wrong), but are you saying that 1999 was the last year of a rear locker in a 100? That is totally new info to me.

EDIT: I just found this, and learned something new today (and never doubted you for a moment Ken):

In the U.S. we only got them in 93-97 80 series and 98-99 100 series. Starting in 2000 Toyota only brought in trucks with tractional control, not lockers.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
I thought that 200's had a locker option until 2016 (but I am not an expert and am most likely wrong), but are you saying that 1999 was the last year of a rear locker in a 100? That is totally new info to me.

EDIT: I just found this, and learned something new today (and never doubted you for a moment Ken):

In the U.S. we only got them in 93-97 80 series and 98-99 100 series. Starting in 2000 Toyota only brought in trucks with tractional control, not lockers.
That’s correct, now you’re all caught up!

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Love the GX…can maybe afford the Land Cruiser…maybe.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
GX In Nori Green would be my go to, when people start wrecking them and I can buy one from the insurance auction.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Can we get some more excitement goin for the new GX up in here? Or do we need a separate Pink Panties thread? If so, fine by me losers, we’ll be serving Hors d'oeuvres in the new thread…

Pink panties are always welcome here.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Here’s a GX photo. You can “build” one on Lexus website now. I hear starting to arrive in March? Personally I’m more excited about the hybrid of the LC. I like the styling better. And I much prefer the HVAC controls with real buttons verse being tied into the touch screen like the GX. For most I’m sure it will come down to the drivetrain choice. Mine will be a DD first. Light duty family wheeler 2nd. No plans to lift. I’ll be rocking my 80-series on the trail for some time to come.

IMG_0672.jpeg

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
A decent watch below. If I was going to buy one, I would buy the Land Cruiser if keeping it stock. If I planned to own it for a while and modify it, I would buy the GX550. I don't think there will be huge MPG differences when comparing the GX to a modified 250 with increased weight and drag. Plus, the 3.4l will be an ideal candidate for a piggyback tune. Add in E30, and now you are cooking with fire.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtOmX4MGN_Y

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Haven't seen it in black yet. Looks awesome.

toyota-land_cruiser-250-black.jpg