What have you done to your rig today?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Part I. Saturday met with a club member (I won't out him here or you may all pester him) who has a genuine Toyota / Lexus reader that handles OBD1.
Goal: diagnose rough cold idle
  1. Timing - reads at 5deg. Factory is 3deg. Left alone.
  2. TPS - tweaked it a bit. No major difference.
  3. IAC - though mine checked out fine in past, it was reading 12 when should have been around 40. Swapped one on. No change.
  4. Then my trusty advisor noticed something odd. The fuel pump was running when key was in on position but engine not running. Using EWD he determined three possible circuits. One is Fuel pump relay. Swapped in a spare, checks out fine. Another is in the Air Flow Meter ("AFM") (AFM found in 93 & 94. Mass Airflow Sensor ("MAF") in 95-97). Unplug AFM and fuel pump doesn't run in same scenario (key on/engine not running). Swapped in a spare AFM and fuel pump doesn't run in same scenario. Drove home with this AFM. Two cold starts next two days - idle is smooth. (I also do not have the initial start high-idle, but that's another days' issue)
I started to learn Air Flow Meters. They are NLA Toyota.
Opened my old one up (properly from top - NOT THE SCREWS AT CONNECTOR!).
A) A thin strip of metal attched to pin 3 came off somewhere and had pins 2 & 3 contacting. Not sure where that strip was previously attched. That's likely the fuel pump issue. Everything I could bench test per FSM passes. Next will be in truck where I can test voltage at different air flap openings.

B) Pin 5 is no longer securely soldered to the board. Easy enough to fix. I'll dab some solder on the other pins while its open. These pin to board connections are known to fail.
IMG_5186.jpegIMG_5187.jpeg

Part II. Sunday put the Blizzak snow tires on the 100 and checked air pressure on the 100 and 80.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
More electrical (to make @DaveInDenver less un-happy were he ever to see the wiring mess that started in 1996 and passed through many hands).

1. A main shut off for LongCruiser accessories (it has many) into a Blue Sea Safety Hub which holds 4 AMI/Midi fuses (using all 4) and up to 6 ATO fuses (using just 1). The wires are also fuse protected next to each battery. There is the starter battery, isolated by a Blue Sea Systems 7610 SI-ACR Automatc Charging Relay (on sale today!), and two auxiliary batteries (one under hood and one under rear seats).
  2. I also got the privacy partition operable again. The circuit it was using had a relay stuck on. Fortunately I had two unused similar double throw momentary rocker switches.
  3. Glued back some mood lighting neon too.
  4. Installed a louder horn. Considered a train horn. After all, big car, big horn.

IMG_5249.jpegIMG_5251.jpeg

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:

that'swhatshesaid

Rising Sun Member
Im confused by the two different sliders in the photo?

Are those White Knuckle? Im about to order some for the 60. For the price it seems they cant be beat. How are you liking them? Looks like you did 0 angle with the full top plate?

They look good!
I know you said ignore this as it was answered but.... Yes I ordered WK with the reduced angle and full top plate, as I need to use it as a step as well. (5'2"ish tall) Also will help when I'm in my town shoes. They came relatively quick about 6 weeks. I ordered during their Black Friday sale which almost paid for shipping.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I slid the front Gamiviti rack on LongCruiser back seven inches so the light bar no longer shines on the hood and re-strung the holiday lights.
I should have taken before and after pictures. Its much improved.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Finally got my rear sway bar back on. Had to modify my bushing brackets with the grinder to get them to fit on the relocation brackets I bought. Nice to have full stability again. Also picked up a Hercules electric ratchet and planning on using that to disconnect one front sway bar link for trails in the future. I got the extended one and quickly realized why people will buy both a shorty and an extended reach one ><

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
2001 4runner little cam tabs. So small, such a simple design.... all the other crap you have to move or remove just to get to them is a bit time consuming.
Parts needed: new tabs. I went with total chaos. Stuff to remove: Skid plates, lowers shock bolts, LBJs, cam bolts, LCAs, cv shafts, move steering rack back, then up, then down, then whichever way works over and over (similar to the Konami code).

Three people got it done in about 7.5 hours today. Forgot to order lunch for the crew and feel pretty bad about that misstep! Probably could have shaved off an hour by doing so as my brain quit before my body. Missed several bushing washers on the LCAs after getting the steering rack bolted back up. Re-did that bit with some trouble. Forgot to add gear oil to replace what drained out and realized after pulling out of the shop and ready to head home. Took 3 extensions to reach the plug and and someone was able to get a funnel with a hose down in the fill hole somehow. Put as much oil in the diff as I did on the skidplate and also slicked the pavement a bit.

Huge thanks to those that helped and also ran for diff oil for me!

It's done and just needs an alignment then she is road worthy again!

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Installed Apple CarPlay stereo into Lisa’s 4Runner, and finally got the front diff pulled out of the 80.
IMG_0389.jpeg
IMG_0382.jpeg
IMG_0383.jpeg
IMG_0384.jpeg
IMG_0385.jpeg

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Attachments

• 6A98D7DC-36A3-40F1-96E0-3DC74B2B5D02.jpeg
    6A98D7DC-36A3-40F1-96E0-3DC74B2B5D02.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36