What have you done to your rig today?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I swapped gear oil on the Tundra today.. anyone else irritated by the complete lack of standardization with factory drain/fill bolts? Rear is 24mm bolt, center is a square 3/8", and the front is a 10mm allen wrench. Also the fill port in front is almost impossible to get to, I am wondering if they figure you'll just do that when you swap CV's as it would be easier without that in the way. it's like these diffs were made in 3 different factories then shipped to Texas for assembly.

by contrast, you could do all 4 on the 40 with one wrench. you don't even need a cheater bar.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I swapped gear oil on the Tundra today.. anyone else irritated by the complete lack of standardization with factory drain/fill bolts? Rear is 24mm bolt, center is a square 3/8", and the front is a 10mm allen wrench. Also the fill port in front is almost impossible to get to, I am wondering if they figure you'll just do that when you swap CV's as it would be easier without that in the way. it's like these diffs were made in 3 different factories then shipped to Texas for assembly.

by contrast, you could do all 4 on the 40 with one wrench. you don't even need a cheater bar.
Same thing on a 3rd gen 4runner. I think it's 24mm for front, rear, transfer and manual trans drain and fill. I think it's different torque specs on the diffs than the trans and transfer though give alum vs cast iron.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Same thing on a 3rd gen 4runner. I think it's 24mm for front, rear, transfer and manual trans drain and fill. I think it's different torque specs on the diffs than the trans and transfer though give alum vs cast iron.
I use the same torque on all of 'em... 1/4 turn past dripping. :hill:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Sooooo??? Are they worth it? And don't just say that because you spent the money! ;)

So I got the seat because I have a bad back. It’s usually uncomfortable for me to travel for several hours at a time on road trips. And it was especially difficult in the 80. I probably wouldn’t have bought it but going back and forth between the 80 and 100 made me realize how much I disliked the stock 80 seat. My 100 seats are pretty good. I justified spending the money on this seat because they are orthopedic seats and I was hoping for some relief during long trips.

So I’ve had the seat installed for about a week now. I’ve mostly driven it back and forth to work, so no long trips yet.
Initial impressions are that the seat just fits me. It’s hard to explain, but I was kinda worried that it would take a bit of trial and error to get the seat dialed in (literally, lots of dials and levers on this thing!) but that wasn’t the case at all.
I installed the seat, got in, adjusted the lower seat rail, adjusted the backrest tilt and then took it for a drive. It was so, well, perfect, that I really didn’t have to do much adjustment.
It’s firm but comfortable, and every pad is in the right place. The best part is the fact that I don’t think about it while driving. Occasionally I will remind myself that I’m sitting in a Scheel-Mann, that makes me take a moment to really appreciate it. The most frustrating thing about my 80 is that every time I drove it, I was uncomfortable and frustrated with the stock seat. This seat changed that for me and it changed the way I feel about driving the 80. All of that to say, it’s worth it, and I don’t regret it.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Searched around the web until I found the parts to make this arm rest for my 97 FZJ80. The ball and sock allow for infinite adjustability. I'm so used to resting my arm while driving that I couldn't stand not having one.

arm rest 1.jpgarm rest 2.jpgarm rest 3.jpgarm rest 4.jpgarm rest 5.jpg

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Searched around the web until I found the parts to make this arm rest for my 97 FZJ80. The ball and sock allow for infinite adjustability. I'm so used to resting my arm while driving that I couldn't stand not having one.

@Telly this is an awesome mod! One of my biggest problems with the 80 is how far away the center console is. I could never get comfortable using it as an armrest.
I decided to get my Scheelmann seat knowing that the armrest issue would be solved with it.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Limped the rig back home from around Poncha Springs and made it. Literarily sweating, heater full blast to make it 🥵

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Got some new OEM exhaust bits for my 80.

IMG_6274.jpeg

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Last weekend started the project to replace my 23 year old LCA bushings. Found a leaky shock, ordered new shocks, found leaky oil seals on my cv shafts, picked up new seals today (there goes the birthday cash). Got the cams out with relative ease! Could get the front bushing out of the passenger with the hot stick and a 20 ton jack. Front one refused to exit the venue. Just pulled the drivers side off. Broke the shock bolt. The broken bolt won't come out. About to take the oxy/ acetylene tool to it. Going to smoke the bushing. Shocks are "supposed to arrive" Thursday. Made an appointment for an alignment for Friday a month ago. Fingers crossed the shocks get here Thursday and I can toss the last one on and drop off the next morning at the shop! I am digging out tools I forgot I had to get this done! Going to make an attempt to remove any finicky bushings at the Jordan residence tomorrow. If that doesn't work with the proper press set up, it's going to meet the grinder, torch, Sawzall, chisel, and hammer.

Attachments

• 20230825_214540.jpg
    20230825_214540.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 50

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Last weekend started the project to replace my 23 year old LCA bushings. Found a leaky shock, ordered new shocks, found leaky oil seals on my cv shafts, picked up new seals today (there goes the birthday cash). Got the cams out with relative ease! Could get the front bushing out of the passenger with the hot stick and a 20 ton jack. Front one refused to exit the venue. Just pulled the drivers side off. Broke the shock bolt. The broken bolt won't come out. About to take the oxy/ acetylene tool to it. Going to smoke the bushing. Shocks are "supposed to arrive" Thursday. Made an appointment for an alignment for Friday a month ago. Fingers crossed the shocks get here Thursday and I can toss the last one on and drop off the next morning at the shop! I am digging out tools I forgot I had to get this done! Going to make an attempt to remove any finicky bushings at the Jordan residence tomorrow. If that doesn't work with the proper press set up, it's going to meet the grinder, torch, Sawzall, chisel, and hammer.
Nothing ever goes as planned.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Save yourself some grief / time.Get a carbide tipped blade for your sawsall and cut that shock bolt off in between the mounting ear and the shock.
If it's been a long time since it was touched then that's sometimes the best plan on this one and the long one in the upper. Then lots of anti-seize on the new ones.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Save yourself some grief / time.Get a carbide tipped blade for your sawsall and cut that shock bolt off in between the mounting ear and the shock.
My brother is gathering tools and his Sawzall and heading down this way. I am about to throw the kitchen sink at it, get online and a buy new lca! But I am too cheap for that, it's coming out one way or another!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
My brother is gathering tools and his Sawzall and heading down this way. I am about to throw the kitchen sink at it, get online and a buy new lca! But I am too cheap for that, it's coming out one way or another!
Keep in mind when ordering parts that if that bolt is rusted in place that the sleeve in the bushing of the shock will have become one with the bolt. So it could be two cuts to get it free and the bushing sleeve will be ruined, too. But you're replacing the shock so that shouldn't be a problem.