• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

What have you done to your rig today?

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Decided to randomly jump under my rig and noticed this ><
IMG_20230621_163150983.jpg

IMG_20230621_163156274.jpg

Appears my front companion flange seals are bad. The larger inner seal is now on order from KC (figures, I suspect it's the inner seal and not the outer, which was in stock, but I got both coming as well as the one time use companion flange nut coming probably Friday).

Pulled the fill plug though and thankfully it doesn't appear I've lost much. Did clean it up with brake clean so that I can get an idea how fast the leak is. Hopefully slow, don't want to miss the Argentine run although I might be able to get the job done Friday afternoon. I suspect my breather might be clogged and this is the ultimate cause. I know when I was recently in my whole shifter assembly up top that everything was pretty dirty up there. Cleaned the transmission one up since I was putting in the short throw kit. Should have done the tcase too.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Took the old winch rope I removed from my 80 series and replaced the steel rope on my Wylan Scott puller. This is a 4000lb hand winch. 3/8” is a bit large for this but it was a free upgrade. As was the Come-up winch hook take off.

IMG_8842.jpeg

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
in today's episode of "Blasphemous Mods," we remove both swing-outs from the 200 series rear Slee bumper. Relocate the spare to the factory location, then fabricate some spindle covers using black ABS.

IMG_9215.jpg

IMG_9216.jpg

I give up some coolness perhaps, and the ability to carry a bunch of shovels and axes, and the pleasure of lifting my spare 4' into the air. What I gain is easier access to the rear hatch, the ability to actually get into the rear from the right side with the utility trailer hooked up, ability to hookup the camper without removing the spare, and the use of the backup camera. I'll bolt those things back on when it's time to look cool again.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well I hope you don't get stuck on your next expedition to Home Depot of Cosco without all your recovery gear.
I'm literally down 1 shovel. I have another shovel bolted behind the back seats, to the drawers... same as my hi lift, it's inside also. So as long as I don't hit a big snow drift, with a passenger who's willing to help shovel, it's gonna be wash here equipment-wise.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
in today's episode of "Blasphemous Mods," we remove both swing-outs from the 200 series rear Slee bumper. Relocate the spare to the factory location, then fabricate some spindle covers using black ABS.

View attachment 117108
View attachment 117109

I give up some coolness perhaps, and the ability to carry a bunch of shovels and axes, and the pleasure of lifting my spare 4' into the air. What I gain is easier access to the rear hatch, the ability to actually get into the rear from the right side with the utility trailer hooked up, ability to hookup the camper without removing the spare, and the use of the backup camera. I'll bolt those things back on when it's time to look cool again.

Good call! I am all about no swingouts personally - the only thing I miss is not having a spot for the Trasharoo!

AJFCJaXAWhe6bcfFTrqF1QzU2n1xRxjO9AwCgD1zRZyYwhPOts42wGaCzVbijwWUnmaurarvQNOU9hm2rvwT7VO2bdWQITqW5Pc0AdD2q27TrTVBKyof-V7bYKC4SDKybr3h8haL57wwA1a0PzcYGpOEEhhOsg=w2482-h1862-s-no

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Lowers are tapped and reinstalled. Death wobble is still there. I put my brothers new wheels and tires on the front. Death wobble is gone. So it’s kinda fixed. I need new shoes for the 80. 😕
I’m not a huge fan of bronze wheels, but they don’t look half bad….
IMG_8652.jpeg

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
do you think you could swap inside to outside? I wouldnt be surprised if they wore in conjunction with the old arms. and not the arms are fresh, the tires dont like it.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
do you think you could swap inside to outside? I wouldnt be surprised if they wore in conjunction with the old arms. and not the arms are fresh, the tires dont like it.
possibly? I wanted one more season out of these tires.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Chasing a parasitic draw on the 80 and hating life. Currently I am thinking its something in the winch.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Is the little light ring around your ignition switch on the steering column staying on? That's a known problem.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Chasing a parasitic draw on the 80 and hating life. Currently I am thinking its something in the winch.

Mine was the original amp for the OEM stereo behind the dash. I had immediately replaced the head unit when I bought my 80 and had bypassed the original amp -- but it was still there, plugged in and drawing power.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Good call! I am all about no swingouts personally - the only thing I miss is not having a spot for the Trasharoo!
I agree - except I can't fit my spare under the truck :(

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Is the little light ring around your ignition switch on the steering column staying on? That's a known problem.
Not from what I can tell.

Mine was the original amp for the OEM stereo behind the dash. I had immediately replaced the head unit when I bought my 80 and had bypassed the original amp -- but it was still there, plugged in and drawing power.
I yanked mine when I did the head unit replacement.

I am pretty sure it is coming from either my winch or my Slee headlight harness. They are both disconnected, and I haven't seen a voltage drop yet in the last couple of hours (was losing .1-.2V per hour before). I'll give it a little more time, put the headlight harness back on and test from there. I am leaning more toward the winch as of right now.