What have you done to your rig today?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
possibly? I wanted one more season out of these tires.

How many years on the tires? I have found that my 80 requires new tires every 5 years or I get the death wobble.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
How many years on the tires? I have found that my 80 requires new tires every 5 years or I get the death wobble.
5 or 6.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I take it you have tried swapping the fronts to the rear already?

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Changed my oil today which required dropping front skid and cleaning it a bit. Got to see the fresh trail scars I got from Argentine. They might have just paid for themselves. I remember hearing them a little above the deep crossing on the way down. We were kind of mobbing the trail at that point and I think I bounced down on a rock. Those are my first proper battle wounds. Really want to modify this thing so I can get at my valvomax without dropping them.
IMG_20230627_200353976.jpg

Pz10420

Trail Ready
Chasing a parasitic draw on the 80 and hating life. Currently I am thinking its something in the winch.
That's an easy one to eliminate if it is.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Last weekend we drove out to Williams Fork for some road testing, light wheeling, and a run. Amber also got some more manual practice time.

60 did great and pulled over Ute pass like a champ.

Problem 1 - driveline vibration at 55mph. Easy fix two bolts on the rear drive shaft were loose! Checked torque on everything possible for good measure.

Problem 2 - Loose steering and highway wandering. Fixed with a steering box adjustment. Feels as good as the 80 now. Needed a half turn on the adjustment screw.

Problem 3 - Running rich. Need to learn how to adjust a carb. There is a non threades hole on the weber pulling vaccum. Seems not right to me.

Problem 4 - Greasy balls. Left knuckle has some good birf soup. Axle rebuild kit on the way from Cruiser Outfitters.

Problem 5 - High beams only work in flasher mode, not constant. Guessing a bad switch or contact? Will research.

Problem 6 - Moose are loose! Talisker and I ran into a chonky bull on our run which is always a good adrenaline rush. Wish I got a photo but we were about 50 yards away when we saw him coming at us down the trail and we pulled a 180 and scooby doo'd out of there fast.

Anyone got moose tags this year? There are too many now. 6th I have seen this year. Please go eat them.

image.jpg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
That's a good lookin 60!
Ever thought of a holly sniper FI set up??

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
That's a good lookin 60!
Ever thought of a holly sniper FI set up??

I have considered it but have been told it a mortal sin that would preclude me from ever entering toyota heaven.

I will start a build thread soon. Its a good 60 but needs some PM and rust work before the fun stuff starts. We have a quote from rust doctor for a full sandblast and respray of the undercarriage, plus some body work. Once its shiny and dripping with fluid film we can move on to sliders, rear swingout, and all that jazz. Thinking I will drive it most of the summer to iron out any issues before sending to him to work his magic. Then it can be my project for the winter.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I have considered it but have been told it a mortal sin that would preclude me from ever entering toyota heaven.
It seems better to bust your knuckles and test your patience getting some harebrained solution to fix a problem you don't really have but keeps it mostly Toyota than, say, go ripping out its very heart and soul with a Chevy small block or something. Plus there's the Previous Owner issue where you do a non-reversible modification. It's like painting over original patina stained oak trim in an old house. Talk about a fart in church.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

I will start a build thread soon. Its a good 60 but needs some PM and rust work before the fun stuff starts. We have a quote from rust doctor for a full sandblast and respray of the undercarriage, plus some body work. Once its shiny and dripping with fluid film we can move on to sliders, rear swingout, and all that jazz. Thinking I will drive it most of the summer to iron out any issues before sending to him to work his magic. Then it can be my project for the winter.
I guess i'm driving the bus to toyota hell!
The few that i know that have done it love it!

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
It seems better to bust your knuckles and test your patience getting some harebrained solution to fix a problem you don't really have but keeps it mostly Toyota than, say, go ripping out its very heart and soul with a Chevy small block or something. Plus there's the Previous Owner issue where you do a non-reversible modification. It's like painting over original patina stained oak trim in an old house. Talk about a fart in church.

Jeff Zepp hooked me up with a factory carb and air cleaner. Truck already has a weber, headers, and has been desmoged. Appears to be the manafre kit. I plan to keep all the smog equip off and go back to factory carb and intake.

MtnAddict

Rising Sun Member
Lowers are tapped and reinstalled. Death wobble is still there. I put my brothers new wheels and tires on the front. Death wobble is gone. So it’s kinda fixed. I need new shoes for the 80. 😕
I’m not a huge fan of bronze wheels, but they don’t look half bad….
When I was looking for wheels always thought the bronze on green looked great but bronze seemed too popular out there for me. I don't like what everyone has... Looks really good though.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
@CardinalFJ60 i like that idea! If I knew how to wire something like that up, or had the time to learn..I’d definitely copy it!