• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

What have you done to your rig today?

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Sold it on BaT this past weekend. Yes, the sale price was embarrassingly high: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-toyota-4runner-76/

I've had it 17 years and 160K miles, and it was my trusty DD. I will miss it in some ways, and am glad for my '99 LX470 in others.
Jesus that’s ridiculous. Great for you though that’s so awesome. I’m still blown away by the stupidity that older Toyotas get on BaT

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
You think? I was not sure with the slots. I’ll grab some and find out. That’s a good suggestion thanks.
Just use metric hardware. M12x1.25 or something like that. If you can, get grade 10.9.

Edit: can't remember what size hardware...M12 or M14. Ill look it up.

Edit again: Looks like M12x1.50 about 28mm in length.
These are cheap:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Looks like the call on the studs is a good one. The knurled end should bite and hold
I wonder if it might be a good idea to put a fender washer on the back of those to give something to spread load to the plate and level out the studs

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Oil change, spark plugs and air filter over the weekend. Surprised-AF that it passed emissions. It didn't pass the first roll test, and I just figured I would be back... Dude calls "Land Cruiser" and I do the walk of shame. Doesn't say anything, just "that will be $25". Runs my card, prints out page. You passed.

Thought he was F'in with me for a split second.

First time since owning her she's passed on the first try. PAIR system removed, O2 sensors in PAIR ports. Was worried they were going to tug on the one original O2 sensor cable I shoved into a hole. Do not think they even popped the hood.

Rotated the tires today and got her registration up to date, finally. Our out of control government would not "transfer" my perfectly fine Support the Troops plates since I was >13 months out. So had to buy new plates. Quite displeased that we the people keep getting the shaft. (n)

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Replaced my Hella fogs that probably came stuck on my truck with some double wide spot/flood pods. Came out really good and was super easy since I just swapped the harness over to the pods and used all the other existing wiring.
IMG_20230603_214357548.jpg

IMG_20230603_214422028_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230603_214527407.jpg

IMG_20230603_214535829_HDR.jpg

Literally night and day difference, they completely overpower my normal headlamps and even the street lamp I'm under.

4runmor

Brand New
I did the poor-mans front bumper mod to increase approach angle until such time (or such finances) allows to get a proper armor bumper. (see before/after.

Attachments

• cchopped.jpg
    cchopped.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 52
  • chopped.jpg
    chopped.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Big thanks to @SteveH for helping me press on caster correction bushings on the FZJ80 control arms last Saturday. Noticeable road manners improvement.
Also finished raising the rear spare mount mod. Gained about 2.5" which I think is about the max one can get due to the rear body seam below the tailgate. Thanks @Johnny Utah for the spare tire bro deal!

tire hoist.jpgspare tire.jpg

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Big thanks to @SteveH for helping me press on caster correction bushings on the FZJ80 control arms last Saturday. Noticeable road manners improvement.
Also finished raising the rear spare mount mod. Gained about 2.5" which I think is about the max one can get due to the rear body seam below the tailgate. Thanks @Johnny Utah for the spare tire bro deal!

View attachment 116375View attachment 116376
Lets talk about how nice that frame looks. POR 15? I want to do the 80 and might experiment on the truck first.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Got a call from the shipper with our 60. He overheated coming up 60 and was suck im georgetown. When we got there was a dead vehicle on the truck behind the 60. Pushed it off then winched it back onto another spot. Felt pretty bad for the guy as he was having a rough day after leaving TX at 6am.

45 seconds of ownership and we already were involved in a recovery.

20230609_220243.jpg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Installed the LCE short throw shifter kit today. Insane how much it shortens the throw. My elbow never has to leave the console rest now! Almost seems too short but I'm sure that feeling will subside with use. Feels like a race car almost if it wasn't for the fairly gutless 3.4. Also nice to have the bushings refreshed in there. There's so little slop in my shifter now.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Built and installed a new winchline. 115’ of Amsteel 3/8”, new eyelet, reused old hook. Used a “grabber” from BubbaRopes to secure it to the drum. Warn M12000 for reference. Prior to this I replaced all the solenoids, relocated the solenoid box as it was blocking airflow to the radiator. And repainted the drum.

IMG_8705.jpeg

Deep bury with lock stitch.

IMG_8711.jpeg

“The Grabber” by BubbaRopes

IMG_8706.jpeg

115’ on the drum

IMG_8716.jpeg

More than a 20° drop in coolant temps towing with solenoid box no longer between the lights.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Thats unreal a 20 degree drop! What were you running at before and after? Im thinking of moving mine now.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thats unreal a 20 degree drop! What were you running at before and after? Im thinking of moving mine now.

My AC would turn off on occasion so over 226. The highest I saw driving to the Train Run was 206 and I stayed in the throttle just to see.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Changed the valve cover gaskets on the LS and started tapping my control arms.
Still need to finish the arms, but they are started.
IMG_8522.jpeg

Last edited:

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
The expensive project begins! Lots of good but some warts for sure.

Replaced a brake line on the 60 last night. After inspection I noticed some corrosion on the hard line running to the rear. The other hard lines appear to have been recently replaced along with the booster.
20230621_131910.jpg

Glad I swaped it as it snapped easy coming off! SOR got one here in 2 days.

Also got a quote from the rust doctor for a full refresh. Decision time.....