What have you done to your rig today?

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Located the source of my exhaust smell in the cab.
20230502_094447.jpg

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Swapped the locking axle into the '99 LX 470 today. Took me from 2pm-9pm, with 1 hour out for dinner. A good workout - working alone, with come-alongs, pry bars, hammers, etc. The new junkyard axle seems quiet, brakes work well, no ABS lights, etc. Now, to install the locker wiring.

You might be a redneck if the 'lower miles' axle going into your truck only has 201K, vs. the 311K on the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Put a new head unit in the truck. It's only going to live in the normal din slots until I complete my head unit relocation project but I really needed something considering the mic on my alpine crapped out on me.

Head unit was incredibly simple swap. Last owner left a metra harness that hooked up to the factory amp (I don't need anything fancy, the only music I really listen to is classical) and it was dead simple to swap it with the new radio harness.

The backup camera however was a whole other story. Took a while to get panels off to prepare for wire routing and I figured I should get the camera hooked up and tested out before I button it all up. Took ages just to figure out how to get the darn cord to go in the same hole that my license plate lights go. Got it through and my suspicion that the first cord coming off my camera was not long enough was founded. I got one of those cameras with the very slim 4 pin connectors because I knew pulling an RCA through the rubber connection from the hatch to the body would be a pita. Unfortunately the initial piece that this connects to is far from slim as it has the a module to convert the slim connection signal to RCA signal as well as the power wire and the ground wire. As far as I can tell that ground wire has to go in the body as I don't think the hatch is physically grounded unless I wanted to tap into one of the ground wires for any of the hatch accessories. Thankfully I found a source that appears to be the same 4 pin in a 6.5' extension cord format so that I can get that nice slim connection into the body. Will be here Friday and I'll make sure to test it before routing it. Really stoked on this whole setup as the head unit I bought has live rear view which could be handy while wheeling as well as a front camera input so I will be able to hopefully use that for self spotting. All of this is controlled from a remote mounted to my wheel. Also just plain looking forward to having a backup camera period. Always so paranoid with how high my truck is that some kid is going to sneak up in back of me in a parking lot, not to mention it will be handy when I have to back off an obstacle or away from a snow drift.

Once I get the cable situation sorted I also have to figure out which wires up in my kick panel are the hot reverse light and the hot tail light so I can tap them for auto backup cam and the dimming function on the headunit. There's so many damn wires in the harness that feeds the back ><

Anyway here is the head unit still with the shipping wrap on it lol (it came with a screen protector that I need to put on now that I've verified the unit is working properly). Can't wait to get the relocation done as my climate controls are rather hard to access right now >< Love the size on this screen though and the attachment point for it is rock solid so I'm not worried about it flopping around while wheeling.
IMG_20230511_005814427.jpg

Here's that harness that would not have fit through the rubber hose that goes from the hatch to the body.
IMG_20230511_010008144_HDR.jpg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Got the backup camera running with a temporary setup until the slim 4 pin extension wire comes in. Ended up running wires all the way to the taillight harness so I knew for sure what I was tapping in to. I tried tracing wires up to the front and there are two harnesses between the taillight and the front kick panel. I saw some wires change color twice on the way to the front and the harness by the back seat made no sense (the same pins weren't used on both sides of the harness) so I gave up on trying to tap the reverse and taillights up there. Cam works great and dimmer function works great. Can't wait to get it all buttoned back up though. Didn't have time to get any of the trim panels put back in.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
It’s not something I did but someone tried to open the side of their Chevy Cruz with our Bio rear bumper.. they ran too so if you see this thing, let me know.
CF4F7EEC-B684-4FF9-85A9-B73831DC090B.jpeg
BCA3DA43-FB21-44BD-81F4-AEF66618FA1A.jpeg
2CFC7880-4530-4E3B-8B94-4695766103D7.jpeg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Wow that bumper ate that freaking car for lunch and is barely scratched. Is your frame all gravy from that?
The frame is fine from my first look. The main damage to our car is barely visible, but I imagine insurance will total it. When their windows exploded it peppered the quarter panel like someone started to blast it with glass beads. You can sort of see it in the photo, and it goes down to primer/bare metal.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
@HDavis Looks like my old neighborhood. Sadly these things have become way more common lately. I know not everyone has the option, but I avoided street parking like the plague. Glad it held up!

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Success! Started right up. Not codes. Lockers work. No leaks. D-light illuminated! Dobinson's rear springs are way to high. Bought them used and they were supposed to be 2" but are more like 4". I guess I need some weight back there.

pic 1 5.14.23.jpg
pic 2, 5.14.23.jpg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Success! Started right up. Not codes. Lockers work. No leaks. D-light illuminated! Dobinson's rear springs are way to high. Bought them used and they were supposed to be 2" but are more like 4". I guess I need some weight back there.

View attachment 115332View attachment 115333
You made real quick work of that! 80 looks great!!

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Finally solved the misfire issue on the 80. After it threw a P0125 code which was diagnosed and solved by discovering zero signal from either oxygen sensor, both sensors were replaced and the signal was good from both with no more P0125 code. Still idling rough and misfiring with an occasional P0303. Figured the spark plugs were overdue, so I went to replace them and #3 was literally finger tight. Replaced all 6 and now she is purring again.

I swear every time I have an issue I expect some catastrophic failure that is going to be super expensive. Then it turns out to be the simplest thing. Land Cruisers are frickin awesome. :headbang:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+

View attachment 115332View attachment 115333
I need to paint my wheels that color. Is that the Duplicolor wheel paint?

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Yup. Graphite Grey with Gloss Clear. Lays down real nice.
That stuff looks and works great. I painted our 100 series wheels that way 4 years ago and It still looks good.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Finally solved the misfire issue on the 80. After it threw a P0125 code which was diagnosed and solved by discovering zero signal from either oxygen sensor, both sensors were replaced and the signal was good from both with no more P0125 code. Still idling rough and misfiring with an occasional P0303. Figured the spark plugs were overdue, so I went to replace them and #3 was literally finger tight. Replaced all 6 and now she is purring again.

I swear every time I have an issue I expect some catastrophic failure that is going to be super expensive. Then it turns out to be the simplest thing. Land Cruisers are frickin awesome. :headbang:
Great to learn that Dan! Did you replace to O2 sensors yourself or pay someone else to do it.? Usually they are rusted in to the exhaust bungs and super hard to remove.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

Just get bigger tires 😉

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Great to learn that Dan! Did you replace to O2 sensors yourself or pay someone else to do it.? Usually they are rusted in to the exhaust bungs and super hard to remove.
Yeah I paid Joe at CTS. He had the whiz bang diagnostic computer, so I let him have the pleasure of dealing with the sensors.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
IMG_20230515_212001055_HDR.jpg

Got the front camera hooked up this evening. It's currently on my front license plate which I think is a bit too low. Feels like warp speed even when crawling in 4lo 1st gear. I guess most vehicles that have them stock must have them up in the grill.