What have you done to your rig today?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So I rotated my tires yesterday. Nothing major to report other than the head slap that I've been taking way too long to do this in the past. My standard method was to find 4 jack stands, go around and lift the whole truck up and get all 4 wheels in the air. Then proceed to run around and rotate them per standard 5-tire rotation.

I decided yesterday why not just do one corner at a time, remembering when we were kids and my dad had my brother and I rotate the tires on our Jeep using only the factory bottle jack and lug wrench. I couldn't believe how much faster it was going kinda old school here.. I didn't spend nearly as much time walking around the truck to get tools, didn't spend nearly as much time raising and lowering the truck either. I trust my floor jack enough to hold one tire up in the air long enough to swap a tire, so I didn't even mess with a jack stand. Can't believe I've been taking so long to do this, past 20-30 years or so.. no need to get fancy here, my dad was right.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
With 5 tires I've always just done one corner at a time. Big floor jack and impact make it quick
the only thing I can't do with this "new" method is put everything in neutral then spin the driveshafts by hand, to access all the grease zircs. So I still need to find a way to do that, maybe a different gun tip or something. I can't believe it's snowing again. :banghead:

And my impact is a cheap Ryobi.. which is perfect. I first have to bust the nuts free with a big wrench, but then the little guy spins them off and on again, until about 50 ft/pounds. Then I top it off with the torque wrench. I like the lightweight low power impact as I don't risk damaging stuff so much.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
the only thing I can't do with this "new" method is put everything in neutral then spin the driveshafts by hand, to access all the grease zircs.
Ancient tech part time 4wd FTW! My front shaft always spins freely in 2wd and I only need to lift one tire in the rear for the rear to spin. The only gotcha is that I have to rely on wheel chocks since I have to leave the parking brake disengaged.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Are those Hutchinson beadlocks?
Yea, leftovers from muh crawler 80. I got a great deal on the tires, and they are 17’s…. So had to blow the dust off of the only 17’s I had.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Goodies from everyone's favorite toy store in Golden. Now to decide if I want to put these in ASAP or wait until I'm replacing the LCAs anyway.
IMG_20230405_130307117_HDR.jpg

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Started a project at 2PM fully intending to wrap up and be at the meeting … but y’all know how projects go. I ended up having to re-engineer some things, and fishing wires through the upper hatch is a chore. But I’m done .. I except for I forgot a switch. I’ll need to buy one and install it later.

I present my camp kitchen (tailgate) lights:
CE2F58C9-9155-4B76-A642-51DE0F81DC9E.jpeg

Fed from an Aux fuse panel I installed on the kick plate by the clutch pedal. Power runs to the back for waterproof distro. Both power and ground busses are on a piece of ABS floated off the back of one of the ABS cargo panels I make.
94F3D536-8419-409A-9155-5FE552D7BA12.jpeg

Pretty clean forward-facing install. Stuck a USB charger on there while I was at it. I’ll mount a switch in there too, and eventually I can add a socket to power a fridge if I ever go down that road.
1DE8E59B-70D7-4F1F-A4BF-E7128960DF54.jpeg

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
My shifter lights aren't working. Of course this turned into a day long project because I decided to clean 20 years of filth out of the console. Did not fix the lights, still working on that, haha.

Attachments

• 20230405_151340.jpg
    20230405_151340.jpg
    958.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230405_131808.jpg
    20230405_131808.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
My shifter lights aren't working. Of course this turned into a day long project because I decided to clean 20 years of filth out of the console. Did not fix the lights, still working on that, haha.
Does that entail having to resolder new LEDs onto that board or have you determined the fault to be upstream of that?

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
Does that entail having to resolder new LEDs onto that board or have you determined the fault to be upstream of that?
I am not sure yet. The position indicator lights all work, but the three that light up the gear pattern in the center are the ones that aren't working. So either all three of those LEDs are bad or something else is wrong. It's strange to me that it's isolated to those three.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Way to dig in there.. center consoles (underneath) can have some scary stuff lurking in there. Mine had a surprising amount of Doritos, dog hair, and coffee

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
Way to dig in there.. center consoles (underneath) can have some scary stuff lurking in there. Mine had a surprising amount of Doritos, dog hair, and coffee
The amount of brown sludge was just disgusting. 🤮 I was expecting it to have corroded some connection somewhere, but I didn't find anything obvious.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Surprisingly when I got into mine to take my radio bezel off there was just some hair and a french fry in there. Way cleaner than I thought it would be.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Got my exhaust leak sealed up today! Love it when a plan actually works. At some point a few years ago I tagged a rock with my exhaust and it caused the mid cat flange to bend..causing the leak.

One of these days I’ll get a real torch setup
0FB9C2F2-8356-4701-AD5C-3642BE47768F.jpeg
F34129B0-7D37-4628-9EB6-7A83BA944341.jpeg

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Picked up the 4runner from @envisionfabrication yesterday. Pretty dang excited with the work they did:cool:.

Will get the 4runner to a shop for engine woes after Cruise Moab.

Finished rear bumper.jpg

:beer::beer: