• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Welder Help Educate me. I know it isn't an easy thing to do :)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Generally speaking, if you just clamp the small item in a vice and attach the ground clamp to the vice you can get a decent circuit/weld. There is also a ton of useful, folding welding tables on the market. I have an old Black and Decker "Shopmate" folding bench I use.

Thanks Paul

Well unfortunately my first stab at welding was unsuccessful. I had hollowed out the bolt with the reverse drill bits and easy outs so there wasnt enough to weld to. I did try and see if I could fill the cavity, but that didnt work.

Was using 110V since my 6/3 wire is here yet to wire the 220V

So I likely will have to run with just one recovery point and a winch. I think I have tried the gamut on what I can do

My wife asked if I was going to return everything since I didnt accomplish my goal. I said of course not. Tools provide capabilities that is always good to have :)

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Sorry to hear that.....Welcome to the known science/unknown magic of welding. Can you post a picture of your predicament, maybe the group can help with some suggestions.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Good choice. Hobart is made by miller and all Miller parts work on the Hobart, from tips to drive rolls.

Regarding your predicament of the bolt, I’d drill it out fully, retap, and use a bigger bolt at this point.

For other questions in the thread, ESAB is great, comparable quality to Miller and Lincoln. Never use brake cleaner, chlorinated or otherwise to clean your metal. For MIG welding, you are best off cleaning the metal with your grinder. Brake Cleaners don’t take off mill scale. With an S6 wire (The most common mig wire), cleaning mill scale isn’t necessary but it is very helpful to do so when you are learning (and in general) as it will give you the most consistent welds and Best feedback on your welds.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Good Idea Issac. I doubt my drills will be able to do that. I can do that kind of work on my drill press but that wont work here. I do see they make things to give your hand drill 5 times the leverage and stabile like a press. Pretty pricey

Know any shops with a drill press that works from the underside?

Anyone have one of these? Not sure it would work is it depends on something behind it to provide the leverage

https://www.amazon.com/Rapidrill-Slim-Attaches-additional-leverage/dp/B074TJ2HW5

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
You need a mag drill. These can be rented from places like Sunbelt Rentals. It’s basically a mini drill press with a big ass switchable magnet. I can’t remember what the price was when I rented one a couple years ago but I want to say it was under 100 bucks for the day. It’ll attach to the frame and drill upside down like a drill press.

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Ken, speaking of switchable magnets, and in the spirit of "I-got-a-new-tool, now-I-need-accessories-for-it", a switchable ground clamp like this is the bomb, particularly for on-vehicle welding. There are cheaper non-switchable ones, but they are awful.

Mark

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
cool, thanks Mark

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Just saw this thread. My Millermatic 135 has been an indispensable addition to my garage. Everything from sheet metal to bumpers and sliders, and yes, even welding nuts on to the end of broken bolts. And since it's a 117V machine I didn't have to modify my panel. I have welded >1/4" with it, you just have to be patient and use prep and good technique. I remember running out of 75/25 gas in the middle of a project and having to switch to flux core to finish. What a mess! I hate flux core almost as much as I hate mud. But yeah, practice practice practice. And your angle grinder is your best friend LOL! Oh and your auto-darkening helmet...