Welder Help Educate me. I know it isn't an easy thing to do :)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have a bolt that broke I need to weld a nut on and try and get it out. Yes I tried easy outs and reverse drill bits, have a whole new set of different kinds :) Not an urgent thing, but it got me thinking. Kurt helped me out the last time this happened and I was thinking this would be a great tool to have. I do have a spare slot in my garage 90 Amp sub panel (220 Amp main) so could add 220V outlet which I likely will do no matter what I do here. I already bought the 50A Breaker and socket, just need the wire.

I have been searching and reading for days

I get that the 220V have more power. I see ones that have dual 110 or 220V as able to go to help others out of needed. Being a Dad I do that a lot :)

I see that the MIG welders with the gas and gasless Flux capability are best for home use projects. Going the Gas route is much preferred due to less splatter, but gasless may be OK for quick small things.

From all the reading the best brands are Miller, Hobart and Lincoln

I see a majority opinion that the Millermatic 221 is probably all anyone doing home stuff would ever need

Yeah if I had a need for a lot of welding for me I would go get the Miller 221

At almost half the price is the Lincoln easy 180 and the Hobart 190, both 220V machines. The reviews indicate the Hobart is better as it has 2 more power settings and a slightly wider power range. The Lincoln seems to be better setup if you want to do a quick gasless weld (not clear on this). These are both half the price of the Miller 211

There are differing opinions on if the 180 or 190 is strong enough for all auto projects like working on the frame, sheet metal or even building a trailer frame. Though I did see one video review with a guy using the Lincoln 180 to build a trailer frame

They key things is what do I intend to use it for. The broken bolt for one thing, but I can easily get help with that. I don't really have anything on the agenda, but would like something that can build a trailer frame or work on the trucks, not build a bumper but be able to weld sliders on or stuff like that. See I really don't know what I am talking about

I do this a lot, get a bug, research and educate myself and sometimes pull the trigger and sometimes decide I don't need it. Though, having tools is always a good thing arg arg arg

I do intend to take a class as I have always wanted to learn how to weld, I just dont have any projects in mind at the moment. Since I am a believer in buy once cry once, If I get a welder I would want it strong enough to do what I ever I might want to do in the future.

I understand I can do it all with the Miller 211

I think I could do it all with the Lincoln 180 or the Hobart 190, but there are conflicting opinions on the internet if one or both are powerful enough

Then cutting the price in half again there are the 110V 140 MIG welders. What related to our hobby can you do and not do with those? I think Kurt used a 110V unit to help me with my bolt issue last time

Keeping an eye on Craigslist for used ones. Its interesting some are within $50 of a new one

So, please give me a 101 on what you can and cant do with a;

110V 140 Amp Welder
220V 180 Lincoln or 190 Hobart Amp Welder
220V 210 AMP (Hobart or Miller) welder

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I did something similar last year. Researched Drones you may recall. Spent a lot of money on a DJI Mavic Pro 2 brand new with a case extra batteries the upgraded controller with the screen. Wanted to learn how to use it in my yard and can't even use it because the GPS detects its in a no flight zone. I am 400 feet from a helipad at Centennial medical center. Been intending on going somewhere I can use it but havent. I was going to take it to the Maze and found out Drones are banned there so left it at home.

I do want to learn how to weld and have that capability, so it is a bit different

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I'm just a hobbyist with a couple of classes under my belt, dozens of projects completed and hundreds of mistakes.....

I learned from my dad on a Lincoln tombstone stick welder. Welded a ton of fire escape stairs on his apartments but was never really that great with it. But got the bug. Started mig welding with a 110 Campbell Hausfield flux welder. Worked great for light weight materials. Rebuilt the rear swing arm frame mounts on my TR-6 with it and still solid 20 years later. Flux sucks if there is any wind that disturbs the shielding gas and the wire/core can get old and gas doesnt seem to work as well. I still have that machine and use it for field work (lake cabin to repair a dock) since its light, easy and will work off a small generator.

I eventually upgraded to a Millermatic 140 mig maybe 10 years ago. Still just 110 and limited on the thick stuff but its done everything Ive needed. Its an older model and wont accept a aluminum spool gun but I've managed to push aluminum wire through it with some success.

I'm wiring the new shop for a 220 welder but haven't figured out which one to get yet.

Couple of things.....

Use an automatic hood. They are cheap and make life much easier.
Always wear heavy cotton clothes. stay away from nylon and flip flops.
Always lube your nozzle on your gun, it will make your nozzles last much longer
Buy a good quality pair of welding pliers/tool. You'll always be using them
Buy the best, most flexible leather gloves. Makes life much easier.
Always have spare tanks, wire, etc.....guarantee you'll run out in the middle of a job.
Get the cart...much easier to move the welder and tanks around the job!
Use good quality clamps/magnet clamps and have several sets....you'll need them all.
Have a couple of fire extinguishers and welding blankets...it's amazing what catches on fire.
.........A welder is like a truck....once your friends hear you have they'll be asking you to help them move (weld)..

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
You might be overthinking this. IMO, you need a 220v welder with gas. I have used flux-core 110v welders and they made a mess and blew the circuit breaker frequently, based on my crappy skills. I would avoid Harbor Freight stuff. You will always get your money out of a good welding setup - which means Miller or Lincoln.

I have a Miller 175, 220v, with gas. Not a pro-grade welder, but I have restored several Toyotas with it - extensive body metal welding. And I have welded up to 1/4"+ without issue, and you will find that once you have a welder, you will weld all sorts of stuff you never though about - snow shovel handles, your neighbors riding mower, stuff for charities, art fabrications, trailers, tractors, brackets, 4H projects, etc. I enjoy this stuff. You can weld stuff otherwise not worth repairing.

This (with gas) should be enough welder: https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/d/commerce-city-mig-welder-180-lincoln/7194604603.html

Best thing to do is find a Rising Sun guy with a welder, and ask him to play with it - weld some scrap together - turn up the current, turn down the current, blow holes in some metal by accident. Get addicted to the fun.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
This (with gas) should be enough welder: https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/d/commerce-city-mig-welder-180-lincoln/7194604603.html

Best thing to do is find a Rising Sun guy with a welder, and ask him to play with it - weld some scrap together - turn up the current, turn down the current, blow holes in some metal by accident. Get addicted to the fun.

Thanks Steve I saw that one, but can get a new one for $660, so if I went with that model I would get a new one. The Hobart 190 is in the same price range

Sounds like the 180 will let me do anything I may need is what I am getting from your input, no need for the 211

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Regarding 220 vs 110 there's no question, use 220V if at all possible. In my mind having a dual voltage machine is worthwhile, though, so that you can use it anywhere in a pinch. Even on sub 3/16" material my machines just seem to run smoother on 220V. I've never done head-to-head 110V against 220V welding razor blades though so it's completely a subjective evaluation.

Miller vs Lincoln is like Chevy vs Ford, essentially a question of religion. Hobart is owned by Miller, but I don't know how similar they actually are in design or construction. I have a Lincoln Square Wave 200 and a Miller Multimatic 215 and I feel like Miller is giving you a bit more for your money. You pay a bit more I think for the Lincoln name. In the end buy on features and price that best meet your budget and don't get hung up on color of the paint.

As said don't forget to factor in ancillaries, good gloves, consumables. Keep a note book.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Out of curiosity, what does everyone think about ESAB (I think) welders? I think they are newish, but supposedly pretty nice. I’m in the same spot as Romer. Want to learn more, and once we have our garage, I want to buy a nice welder.
Thanks!

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
A brand name machine with support, parts and supplies will serve you well. Also, being close to a real gas and welding supply store will also make your life better when it comes time to grab tanks. IMO, don't get too caught up with minute setting difference on these consumer machines, I've yet to see a huge difference between speed and power, most of that can be played with while laying down the weld. Probably not what an instructor or pro would say, but I'm not sure I've adjusted the settings on my machine in years.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
You like the Lincoln because it is red like your 40. :)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big three; Miller, Lincoln and Hobart.

My first welder was a mm135. I upgraded to a Hobart 190.

While I don't do much welding it is nice to have it around to use when the need comes up.

Try not to overthink it. Buy a machine and give it a go. If you buy 110 and decide you want to upgrade, selling your 110 machine won't be hard to do.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Depending on how much and what you think you want to do you might look at some of the combo welders out there as well. A combo unit that will run MIG, TIG, or Stick from a lesser know brand might be fun. That's what I did, I have a Tweco 180 multiprocess unit, kinda like this: https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/tweco-181i-mig-tig-stick-welder-pkg-w1003181-with-w4013802

I can run flux or gas mig (built my 4x4 labs bumper kit and a bunch of other stuff with this) or DC TIG which is awesome for stainless steels for example or lighter gauge steels (which is way more fun than any MIG work to me).

I'm surprised with how well this thing works but I haven't used a real nice MIG very much before to compare against. Scratch TIG works great after some practice.

Just another idea to keep in mind. Otherwise, either the Lincoln or the Hobart will probably be more than sufficient for what you are asking for.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
With respect to your 101 education request. Others with more experience will likely chime in. From my perspective and experience itbreaks down pretty simply.

1/4" is about the thickest I would ever need to weld and for that the machine needs to be a 220.

Metal thinner than 1/4" the machine can be a 110.

I did a bunch of stuff with the mm 135, but it did not do the job when I build an SST for replacing the rear wheel bearing on a Tundra. That SST was build using 1/4" plate and was why I upgraded to the Hobart 190.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the inputs. I see Lowes has the same Lincoln 180 with a slightly different name for $699. I also normally dont go for Credit Card deals, but if I get their credit card I can save $100 by the end of the year https://www.lowes.com/l/Credit/new-account-promo-tandc.html

It looks like the same unit with a slightly different name. I read they do that to avoid price matching. Same voltage, duty cycle and dial settings. Even same picture except the name on the unit says Pro vs Easy

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lincoln-Electric-230-Volt-180-Amp-Mig-Flux-cored-Wire-Feed-Welder/1072947

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Last thoughts.....

Buy lots of tips. In the sizes of the wire. they're cheap and as you learn you'll melt a few.
Buy really good quality metal brushes for pre-weld cleaning and post weld slag cleaning.
Have several cans of cheap walmart brake cleaner and rags to clean the oils off the raw metal so yoie weld doesnt get contaminated. (watch that stuff....very flammable and let dry before hitting it....)
Get several DeWalt angle grinders. They're cheap now a days. Have one with a cutting wheel for cutting your metal stock/design. One with a metal cup brush for cleaning the metal of rust, edges and slag. One with a flap sander or grinding wheel to edge the two pieces your going to weld for better penetration and to grind down the weld. This will save time and hassle of having to constantly find the wrench and change out cutting/sanding/grinding wheels.
Go down to the local metal scrap yard and pick some fun looking "drops" and play/practice/burn shit.
....Did I mention wear only good heavy leather boots....tennis shoes and flip flops don't work so well...from what Ive heard.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I bought this guy earlier this year and I'm really liking it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GWBK5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not a welding expert by any means but I've used several machines, Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart to build different things. Every place I've worked for the last 10 years has had nice machines that I've had access to after hours and that is how I built my swing out tire carrier, sleeping platform and a variety of other projects and this Weldpro "feels" as nice as anything I've ever welded with. It lays a bead down nice and I've really liked using it so far. I really just bought it to get me through the redneck resto on the 4runner so I wasn't setting my expectations too high when I bought it. However, it is what I'm using to weld my trailer modifications and I'm feeling good about the integrity of the welds. ( I take a heave sledge hammer and hit the shit out of the first welds I make to make sure I'm doing it right and/or the machine is acting right)

So far I'm just using 110 as I don't have a 220 outlet in the garage and it would be nice to have it run on 220. Although I'm pacing myself when I lay a bead, the machine has tripped the breaker a couple of times when I push it.

I know this isn't one of the top 3 but it is an entry level option that could at least get you going at a real entry level price. I'm pretty confident it is as nice as an equivalent Lincoln and for a bit less.

Last edited:

Sean Solo

Rising Sun Member
Out of curiosity, what does everyone think about ESAB (I think) welders? I think they are newish, but supposedly pretty nice. I’m in the same spot as Romer. Want to learn more, and once we have our garage, I want to buy a nice welder.
Thanks!

While not in the price range being discussed here, ESAB is developing some great welders. My friend was the development manager for the EASB Rebel and I did some over flow Industrial Design on the project. ESAB did a lot of research with users and really fine tuned the electronics to make beginner welders - good welders and good welders - great welders. There is a lot of control over the machine and once you know what you are doing with the controls you are off and running.
Miller welders are good too. My only experience with them is at a company that makes "Physical Vapor Deposition" PVD coating equipment. Nothing like seeing 16 Miller welders all linked up together to blast a rod of coating material with lightning in a zero atmosphere chamber. It is basicly what is used to put that chrome finish on your Delta faucet.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I bought this guy earlier and I'm really liking it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GWBK5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not a welding expert by any means but I've used several machines, Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart to build different things. Every place I've worked for the last 10 years has had nice machines that I've had access to after hours and that is how I built my swing out tire carrier, sleeping platform and a variety of other projects and this Weldpro "feels" as nice as anything I've ever welded with. It lays a bead down nice and I've really liked using it so far. I really just bought it to get me through the redneck resto on the 4runner so I wasn't setting my expectations too high when I bought it. However, it is what I'm using to weld my trailer modifications and I'm feeling good about the integrity of the welds. ( I take a heave sledge hammer and hit the shit out of the first welds I make to make sure I'm doing it right and/or the machine is acting right)

So far I'm just using 110 as I don't have a 220 outlet in the garage and it would be nice to have it run on 220. Although I'm pacing myself when I lay a bead, the machine has tripped the breaker a couple of times when I push it.

I know this isn't one of the top 3 but it is an entry level option that could at least get you going at a real entry level price. I'm pretty confident it is as nice as an equivalent Lincoln and for a bit less.

That looks pretty nice. 40 lbs lighter and dual voltage. Thats one thing I really liked about the Miller is it was only 40lbs vs the 67 for the lincoln. This is even lighter than that

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I have used many different welders over the years and have had a Hobart 140 as my at home welder for four years. For a 110v welder it rocks and i would say its inline with what lincoln and miller offer in that category. I also would not hesitate to buy the Hobart 190 as its the 220 version of the 140. With that said the multi process welders have come down in price and would be a good value if you were at all ever interested in learning TIG.