UCA upgrade!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2016
Messages
2,390
Location
Superior
3rd gen 4runner
I went down the rabbit hole of UCAs. I got new tires and jumped up a size to 285/75R16s with the Wildpeak A/T4Ws. Dropped off for an alignment today, my Camburg uniball on the d side is sloppy. I told myself last time I replaced them that I was going to get a ball joint set up instead of replacing the balls again. So here I am today! Options are SPCs or JBAs. SPCs dont have a stellar track history from friends first hand accounts and is mixed online. Plus they are really pricey and replacements are pricey too. JBAs have less to go wrong and are considerably cheaper. Another problem, the interwebs are saying that either option will require new rims with a different offset or 1.25" spacers. I have always been spacer adverse due to having hub centric rims. They make hub centric spacers but that adds an extra joint (for lack of a better term) to the failure points. Rims are pricey for hub centric and i would need 5. Spacers are cheaper.
All I wanted was new tires since my KM3s were spanked hard and sent to bed without dinner. Now I need to do something more to get them trued up under the truck. Also, the inner tie rods I replaced several years ago... one is bad. $$$$$

So, who has an opinion on UCAs and Tire sizes and rims and spacers? I may just return these and get the next size down to keep from dealing with clearances.
Help drag me out of this rabbit hole!
 

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
14,330
Location
Grand Junction
I have Camburg UCA that use OEM type ball joints. If I knew then what I know now I'd go with JBA. Truth really told if I knew then what I do now I'd have kept stock UCAs and used OME front coil-overs, c'est la vie.

UCA are built fatter than stock for one. Also most of them move the ball joint out slightly because they're building more room inside the arm to fit larger diameter coils. That's why I run the Camburgs, to fit FOX 2.5" shocks with 3" diameter coils.

In my case I actually did not need any more space, stock wheels worked but I was running 235/85R16 skinny tires. I was lucky on a 2nd gen Tacoma that running wheels from a 3rd gen 4Runner got me an easy 0.75" of backspace clearance without needing spacers. That's what I have now with 265/75R16 and I can fit tire chains if I want. I did not like the change in steering geometry. I'm used to it now but at first it felt odd, sluggish I guess I'd say. Hard to describe.

You want $0.02, I'd stick with stock-ish sized tires if larger ones don't fit without a bunch of specialized fitting. That's just stuff to fail and what if you need to swap a tire with someone or break a wheel or spacer 1,000 miles from home and need to find one?

Be honest with yourself, are you going to be able to drive a trail with 285s that couldn't with 265s? Very unlikely.
 
Last edited:

brettf

Lifted
Joined
Feb 13, 2017
Messages
160
Location
Golden
@On the RX
FWIW I ran Total Chaos UCAs with uniball (some people love it, some don't) with stock LCAs for a long time. This is a first gen Tacoma, so should be a valid comparison for you. 33x10 15" stock (99' Tacoma SR5) wheels with 1.25" spacers. I ran same setup with 2013 4Runner SR5 17" wheels as well, with no spacers I had a 265 and a 285 tire stuffed in there. All combos fit great, but admittedly all on the narrow side for tires. I couldn't tell you backspacing on those wheels without digging up homework. What clearance issues are you worried about? I think my tires turned into the frame at near full lock and that's where the spacers came in for the 15" setup. There are so many different variables; you almost just have to try it to know.

One gotcha that caught me was manual hub complications on 1G tacoma/3G 4Runner. If you don't have manual hubs, this shouldn't be an issue, but manual hubs have little protruding studs that cone washers and nuts live on attaching the hub body to the knuckle/spindle. Those stick out too far and require a TINY shave to the spacers. Some people freak out at this point, others use a die grinder to remove a tiny amount of material from the spacer to accommodate each stud. I went the second route without issues.

I'm in the middle of a huge front end refresh/upgrade on that truck, so it's all front and center for me. I am no longer nervous about 1.25" spacers on this platform. Wider spacers, bigger trucks, more power, more weight; all those things would probably change the equation for how I feel about spacers in that application.

Just more data points to muddy the waters for you ;)

Edit to add opinion on TC UCA - very happy with uniball UCA I have to clean them occasionally and spray them with a dry lube or they get noisy, but this is about the easiest thing on the planet to do. I probably should grease the bushings at more frequent intervals, but.... life.
 

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
2,222
After having All Pro UCAs on the FJ Cruiser for a few years I am not a fan of open uniballs or spherical bearings. When I had that setup I also had shocks with a similar Teflon lined spherical bearing for the bottom eyelet.

They helped with alignment but were always noisy. I had enough slop in them after each winter to replace them every spring as regular maintenance. They aren't cheap, but the job itself is pretty easy. The mag chloride really seems to eat them up. Sounds like you had the same experience. There are definitely benefits but the drawback is the additional maintenance. Same for spacers. I ran spidertrax 1.25" and, properly installed and torqued with red lock tight, they never gave me an issue or felt unsafe. It did add an annoying maintenance step anytime you needed to get into the knuckles.

I am also looking at tires right now and have to keep talking myself back from going bigger. Next build is sticking with a 33" max and I am at a point now where I am okay running the winch every now and then vs dealing with all the extra headaches and constant tweaking that results from complicating suspension setups for tire clearance. I keep adding 285/75/17s to my shopping cart with discount and then back to a 285/70/17. That extra inch on the taller option is going to cost me $500 upfront just for the rubber, and more hassle over time.

But bigger tires are so cool.....
 
Last edited:

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2010
Messages
1,080
Location
West Denver
I was able to upgrade my SPC UCA through the issue that they had with the UCA's. My 285's were rubbing on the UCA's a lot and was very annoying. I went with the ATW4 in a 255-85-16 and am not having any rubbing. I was also told that the TRD rims from 5th gen runners will help the rubbing as well. I like that they are a load range C tire. They performed really well on the Slaughter House a couple of weeks ago. Hardly spun a tire. They maybe a little lighter than the 285's which I've heard have hurt mileage.
 

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2016
Messages
2,390
Location
Superior
After much back and forth, mathing and picking brains, im going back to the 265/75 r16s in E range for the extra protection. That size worked good even though it still left me wanting lower gears. In theory it will fit with the JBAs and I don't need to buy a 5th tire for a spare. I'm blown away that discount tire will exchange them and also that I am just learning about that policy!
Thanks for all the input, it was quite helpful!
@FJCDan, I did consider the 255s but went for something more geared toward I70 pass driving.
 

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Messages
1,440
Location
Arvada
Icon seems to have added UCA's for the First/Third gens. Do not think these came up when I was looking back when I lifted the Tacoma.
 

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2016
Messages
2,390
Location
Superior
I didn't see those either. Price point is better on the JBAs and you can toss in a gm ball joint in a pinch if needed. Ordered and they are 6 days out. Ill let you all know when the install day is in case you want to see me cuss out the long bolts!
 
Back
Top