Switch Panels - who’s using what?

Corbet

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
10,446
Location
Durango, Colorado
Well I’m deep into it now.

IMG_3086.jpeg
 

Corbet

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
10,446
Location
Durango, Colorado
Looking clean. @Corbet Is breaking out with barrier terminal strips the way the manufacturer intended?
I don’t understand your question. They meet the current demand specs.
 

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
14,344
Location
Grand Junction
I don’t understand your question. They meet the current demand specs.
I don't know the current demands of a switch panel. That might be true. I thought they usually used sealed connectors, Metripack and what-not. Seemed odd they'd put a sealed connector on the ganged side is all. Guess that makes sense if this is one of the panels that uses FET switches and they potted the unit.

Edit to add:
Up to speed now. Looked up the SP9100, the single wire circuits are 20A and the double wire are 35A. Barrier strip should be fine for normal aux loads, rated for 20A. Didn't know that. Those switch panels seem tidy.

 
Last edited:

Corbet

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
10,446
Location
Durango, Colorado
I choose barrier strip as a way to terminate the circuits from the switch-pro. I only have use for two switches currently and didn’t want a bunch of loose wires for the foreseeable future. The strip is a Blue Sea unit rated at 65amp per circuit.
 

Rlong

New-ish
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
11
Location
Fort Collins
I like the buss bar / barrier strip, clean and easy as you add circuits, easy to troubleshoot. If a buss bar is good enough for my early OEM 62’ FJ40 and 63’ FJ45 front light harness’ it’s good enough for this. 😀👌
 

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
14,344
Location
Grand Junction
Gotcha @Corbet. Blue Sea seems to sell 3 versions, the #6 screw (like I found on Mouser, those are 20A), a #8 (30A) and #10 (65A) like you're using. All squares with the OEM.

Was curious because you can sometimes find them cheaper (like the Littlefuse 880159 model of the Blue Sea 7620100 ML-ACR used to be about $50 cheaper) and they sometimes sell accessories Blue Sea doesn't. Like a terminal cover.

92121949.jpeg

The Blue Sea 2608 is probably the Eaton TB400-08, but unfortunately Eaton don't make a cover for it. FWIW, Eaton rates them for 75A per pole, so that's nice.

eaton10-18_tb400.png

Another FWIW, when trying to figure out what they recommended for over-current came across this disclaimer, which is a round about way of saying what I was asking. When you expose the ends of the wire moisture and corrosion can creep up under the insulation and get inside the device.

Screenshot 2026-09-13 at 15.54.51.png

As you know they say they don't need them. Having designed my fair share of over-current and inrush limiting I don't 100% trust it under short circuit (FETs tend to fail shorted first, which avalanches to large current that cooks them into blowing open). So belt-and-suspenders here and usually put fuses or breakers anyway...
 
Last edited:

Corbet

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
10,446
Location
Durango, Colorado

nakman

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
15,720
Location
north side
no trigger circuits here.
 
Back
Top