so who's ordering a Rivian?

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Good lord, that sounds like a deal. I'm paying $250/mo. for premium gasoline for my 10-year-old Infiniti. Maybe I should buy a Tesla!

You're welcome to come check it out and take it for a spin, but I'm warning you to be ready to pull the trigger on one if you do. Not even joking :D

@MTSN , so reading all of your numbers, and then sort of guestimating the same approach with the Rivian in a few years, a trip to Moab would be cheap AF!!! The Rivian will supposedly have a range of around 410 miles and it's 350 miles-ish to Moab. So you drive out, charge up while you sleep that first night, run trails, charge, repeat, then drive back all for like $40 - $60!! This thing is going to be a game changer!

Exactly! And you combine that with the autonomous driving on the boring stretches of road, and you have a heck of a sweet trip. Autopilot and the very advanced adaptive cruise control has already lowered my stress level in painful commute, and I think for longer trips it will really take the wear and tear off the brain and body.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'm really trying to figure out how to justify the cost of the Rivian. It checks off pretty much all the boxes of what I need and then some. But at an estimated $100K price tag on the long range model I can't see how the tax cuts and reduced price per mile driven can offset the upfront purchase price. Maybe the short range version at $70K?

Right now I'm considering a $45K Honda Ridgeline as my new daily driver. So that is kind of the benchmark. I'll keep my 80 series long term for wheeling and expo travels. I daily drive about 18K miles per year. The other potential problem is service on any new EV. I don't see Durango getting a service center from any of the coming truck options be it Rivian/Tesla/Atlas.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
30 MPG, just say'in.. Of course I might like the Tesla Roadster
2011 Z4 7.JPG

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
If you guys want a chuckle, go to instagram and look at liftedtrucksmatter, they posted a picture of one the other day, click on that and read the comments. Somehow that made it to my instafeed...

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
If you guys want a chuckle, go to instagram and look at liftedtrucksmatter, they posted a picture of one the other day, click on that and read the comments. Somehow that made it to my instafeed...

Those comments are hilarious! It reminds me of a phenomenon I've learned of recently called "iceing" where idiots park their trucks in front of Tesla superchargers blocking access. It is illuminating to me how close minded, unintelligent, and quite frankly moronic people are when it comes to feeling the need to interfere with others who are responsibly minding their own business. It takes a particularly fragile ego and low self esteem to pull off stuff like this.

ice1.jpg
ice2.jpg
ice3.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You know what's also interesting is Ford has entered an agreement with VW to build mid sized trucks for each other, which goes with something I've thought lately that Ford is doing more Toyota than Toyota lately with their trucks. Back in the 1990s it was Toyota that built pickups for VW, which they learned from and applied to build the Amarok eventually. That truck is supposedly a pretty solid vehicle now and it's the Amarok that will be shared production with the next generation Ranger. Toyota is looking more like GM these days, losing out to Ford on Rivian, stale products that are neither innovative nor within their tradition. Just a bunch of "meh".

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
GM was in negotiations with Rivian, but ultimately that fell through.

I agree that Ford is on their game these days. There have been several times that I have thought about procuring a Raptor. Especially with the Ecoboost motor. That motor is just a beast. I look forward to seeing what Ford has in store for the next gen Ranger.

satchel

Rising Sun Member

The video looks like it's been cgi edited or something, but if this is a real feature it's pretty cool.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member

The video looks like it's been cgi edited or something, but if this is a real feature it's pretty cool.

It does look CGI, but I would not be surprised if something like that is being worked on. With each wheel having the ability to have independent control and monster torque at the first revolution, I can see it being possible...and a lot of fun :headbang:

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I test drove a Tesla Model 3 over the weekend. Enjoyed that a lot. Sales person indicated the truck should be revealed in 3rd quarter of this year. I plan to make one of these EVs my next DD

I bought a Model 3 Mid Range RWD for my daily back in March. I don't like it, I absolutely love it - more than any vehicle I've owned. In fact, I like it so much that I just bought a Model 3 Performance AWD that I pick up next Tuesday :ROFLMAO: I'm trying to convince my wife to sell her DD Honda CRV and take the MR, but she works with at risk and homeless people often and already stands out more than she'd like in the CRV. The good news is I have an offer to buy my existing car for $260 less than I bought it for in March and after I've put almost 5k miles on it. The overall cost of ownership is unbelievably cheap - I've spent about $0.02/mile in electricity to operate it so far in mixed driving (my LC is literally 10x more expensive in fuel), $0 in maintenance (insanely cheap over the lifetime of the car), $450/year full coverage good insurance, and obviously very little in the way of depreciation. It would make sense as a purely low cost commuter car, but it's also faster than almost everything on the road, is the safest car ever made and feels like a rolling tech gadget...oh and it gets updated over the air for free constantly making it better. Its performance isn't affected by altitude like ICE cars as well...I could go on :hill:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'd have the 3 already if not for where I live. I'm a little scared if its lack of ground clearance. Lack of rear leg room behind my seating position. Then where do I put bikes and such on it. I know they have a roof rack but but I don't want a fork mount. Waiting on the sales guy to determine if a receiver is even possible so I can use a rear bike rack.

Reality, wait for the the truck. It's what I really want, well truck like. I love this Rivian but hard to stomach nearly $100K for extended range even if the other costs are so low. Hoping Tesa delivers on the sub $50K MSRP. My baseline cost of ownership is a new Honda Ridgeline as that is what I'll buy to DD if I have to go gasoline.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I'd have the 3 already if not for where I live. I'm a little scared if its lack of ground clearance. Lack of rear leg room behind my seating position. Then where do I put bikes and such on it. I know they have a roof rack but but I don't want a fork mount. Waiting on the sales guy to determine if a receiver is even possible so I can use a rear bike rack.

Reality, wait for the the truck. It's what I really want, well truck like. I love this Rivian but hard to stomach nearly $100K for extended range even if the other costs are so low. Hoping Tesa delivers on the sub $50K MSRP. My baseline cost of ownership is a new Honda Ridgeline as that is what I'll buy to DD if I have to go gasoline.

I've seen a few with hitch mounted bike racks. Tesla sells a hitch in Europe as a factory option, but they're hard to get standalone here in the US. There is at least one aftermarket option which works quite well according the forums. My only regret with going electric is that I didn't do it sooner if I'm being honest. Although waiting has been worthwhile in terms of the cost of the vehicles coming down significantly. They did a small limited run of the AWD Performance cars a couple weeks ago (when I placed my order) for $49.9k - that gets you 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, 11.7 quarter mile, right on par with a BMW M2 Competition around a race track, $0.02/mile cost of "fuel", AWD, one of the best sound systems I've ever heard, etc. etc. My vote is - don't wait! :D Any depreciation you incur while you wait for the Rivian or Tesla truck will be offset by the lower operating costs and smiles per mile which is off the charts!

review-saris-hitch-bike-racks-2019-tesla-model-3-sa775_644.jpg
Capture.JPG

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Well I found out my in-laws are getting a Rivian in Sept(if the release happens on time)they put a deposit on one of the first to come off
the line. Yes they can afford it. Be fun to try it out when it get here. I believe they are getting the SUV, not the truck.