Minnesota 40

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Needed to finish my rear heater before moving onto the brakes, I realized. Easier to get it up to operating temp by driving it, so brake upgrade is on hold temporarily. After pressure testing my rear cores, 1 was good, so i didn't have to repair, but it was a bear getting it to re-seal. The hoses are kind of dry and I had to resort to regular hose clamps. After hooking it up, I would run the 40 up to temp and check for leaks. After connecting, disconnecting and making a huge ethelyne glycol mess multiple times, it finally was tight and not spewing from the hose junction. I knew I had air in the system so I spent a bunch of time burping it today and letting the new rear core get nice and hot and burn off all the excess fluid. Ready to install the base and fan...

That's when I realized I had the core upside-down... :banghead:
i-6N9pbnL-L.jpg

:homer: Can't believe I did that.. now I get to disconnect it, flip it and start over... might just let it sit back there for now. Was thinking it might make sense to change out the coolant lines since they're showing their age and are the main reason I struggled to get it leak free. Need to track down part numbers...

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
So frustrated that I decided to work on something else and tore into the steering column. I was having issues with the turn signals. I would have to hold the lever in position to keep them blinking turning right, and they don't self cancel. Common problem with early 40's so I had ordered a new turn signal assembly and a new dust boot for the column.

Borrowed a steering wheel puller from O'Reilly and got it taken apart. The turn signal assembly was broken and missing parts and the steering wheel roll pin for canceling the signals was all chewed up.

The original turn signal assembly holds a threaded rod that the column shifter pivots in. I was surprised to see that the new oem replacement part wasn't threaded. Wrong part? Luckily I was able to tap it out and make it work.

i-xpB8gkN-L.jpg

New and old turn indicators. Old one has cool chrome lever. New one just painted black.

i-zJpXwD7-L.jpg

i-8hJK9GL-L.jpg

This is the end of the column shifter that pivots in that threaded shaft. Anyone know if that rubber sleeve is still available?

i-7sfkmFN-L.jpg

My shifter 2as bent, so I hammered that straight again.

Epoxied in a new roll pin on the steering wheel to cancel signals.

i-Xp9p9VN-L.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
While I had the steering wheel and turn assembly off I put a new dust boot on. The old one was toast.

i-VDKFVQG-L.jpg

Old next to new
i-vMfBp36-L.jpg

New installed. Bummer about the paint. Old MC leak ruined it sometime in the past.
i-kZJrnvk-L.jpg

All buttoned up and new signal assembly works great. :)

i-QPbGrDB-L.jpg

Anyone know what the plug upper left from ignition would be for?

i-LDjR5Wx-L.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I didn’t have a hole there on my 1969 Martin..

A16E2E0E-EF21-419C-B275-0C8E537F7C4E.jpeg

But I have seen some with a hole directly above the ignition switch was a brake indicator iirc

But I don’t recall what years had that

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Hmm. I suppose it could be PO damage. Surprised they put a proper dash plug in it. I looked up behind it and didn't see any obvious wiring that would connect to anything there.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Fixed the rear heater. Leak free and running nice and hot now that spring has arrived! :p

i-WN7DTRM-M.jpg

Got it out for a drive with the rear axle relocated. Much better, almost centered in the wheel well, but rear springs still need to settle a bit, it's still kind of stink bug. pic makes it worse - steep iowa downhill grade. ;)

i-fGHtcKw-L.jpg

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
keep going! :bowdown:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Martin, say it isn't so! I'm crying over here... not really sure if I even want to see the pics? :cry:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
what did I miss?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Martin, say it isn't so! I'm crying over here... not really sure if I even want to see the pics? :cry:
Yeah, I didn't even take a pic. I was on my way to get the 60 out of storage, so I just limped it there after getting the wheel back on and put it in the storage unit. I'll need to trailer it home to assess the full damage. Sad part is that I actually thought about grabbing the lug wrench and checking them before I took off but didn't.

I was planning to do some rust repair on the rear sill this summer, but now it's a whole lot more that's needed. The tire came off pretty violently. It was a sickening feeling wondering what the hell just happened as I skidded to a halt and then was passed by my own tire.:oops:

I drove my route afterward looking for the missing lugs and only found 2. Amazing all 6 came off in less than 2 miles.

Last edited:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Hopefully just a few lugs and maybe a drum? Or did the hub take a beating as well?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Hopefully just a few lugs and maybe a drum? Or did the hub take a beating as well?
The drum, hub and studs are fine but the backing plate is bent pretty bad. The aluminum wheel is toast from getting wallowed out by the studs. The tire took out the exhaust system and mangled the fender, which is the real bummer. The fenders were really straight except the rear sill area. Now I need a full replacement on the ds as I don't think it can be straightened. I didn't look closely to see if the wheel well was also bent or not.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Oh man, bummer, but you had me panicked that it was a total loss or something!!!

Hammer it back straight? Adds character?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
The drum, hub and studs are fine but the backing plate is bent pretty bad. The aluminum wheel is toast from getting wallowed out by the studs. The tire took out the exhaust system and mangled the fender, which is the real bummer. The fenders were really straight except the rear sill area. Now I need a full replacement on the ds as I don't think it can be straightened. I didn't look closely to see if the wheel well was also bent or not.
Man...I didn't even think about damage from the wheel coming back into the truck. That sucks.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Oh man, bummer, but you had me panicked that it was a total loss or something!!!

Hammer it back straight? Adds character?
Yeah, i'll try, or just start the cutting sooner than planned.

Edit: Marco, you inspired me to buy some body tools. Going to use the damage as an excuse to try some hammer and dolly work. If it's a fail, have to cut it out anyway.

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Finally had some time to pull the 40 out of storage and trailer it home. I haven't looked at it since it happened. Was fearing the worst.. but got it home and it wasn`t too terrible. Went to work trying to fix the damage.

I pulled the wheel and drum parts off and was able to pound the drum backing plate straight. Got that reassembled and used a ratchet strap, pry bar and hammer to bend the exhaust back into shape. Will need to have my exhaust guy re-weld the muffler to down pipe but it's connected and clears everything.

I hooked the ratchet strap to the wheel and then to the folded fender. As I cranked it down, I pounded on the crease with a deadblow and pulled it most of the way out. Then put my fj60 bottle jack inside the wheel well with a flat piece of wood and pushed it out while pounding on it more. Worked pretty well! There's still some creases, but not bad. No damage to wheel well, tail lights, etc. What a relief.

i-nqk7RZ5-L.jpg

While I was out in Colorado/Utah for Cruise Moab I picked up some correct 40 wheels from Chris Hatfield, he's upgrading to disk brakes and had a set of riveted steel wheels available. Thanks again, Chris! Just cleaned those up and got some 33x10.50r15 BFG AT's mounted up. Was hoping to go with swamper tsl's but they've been backordered for over a year through the usual suppliers. No worries though, these will work fine for weekend duty, camp trips and gravel roads. They measure at 32, which is what I was hoping for. The 255/85r16's from my 60 seemed a bit large on it.

i-SwbCLgm-L.jpg

I just got a set of late oem hubcaps (couldn't afford the early ones) and I'm waiting on a new set of lug nuts to arrive before I mount them up. Excited to get it back on the road after my dumb mistake! ;)

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Finally had some time to pull the 40 out of storage and trailer it home. I haven't looked at it since it happened. Was fearing the worst.. but got it home and it wasn`t too terrible. Went to work trying to fix the damage.

I pulled the wheel and drum parts off and was able to pound the drum backing plate straight. Got that reassembled and used a ratchet strap, pry bar and hammer to bend the exhaust back into shape. Will need to have my exhaust guy re-weld the muffler to down pipe but it's connected and clears everything.

I hooked the ratchet strap to the wheel and then to the folded fender. As I cranked it down, I pounded on the crease with a deadblow and pulled it most of the way out. Then put my fj60 bottle jack inside the wheel well with a flat piece of wood and pushed it out while pounding on it more. Worked pretty well! There's still some creases, but not bad. No damage to wheel well, tail lights, etc. What a relief.

i-nqk7RZ5-L.jpg

While I was out in Colorado/Utah for Cruise Moab I picked up some correct 40 wheels from Chris Hatfield, he's upgrading to disk brakes and had a set of riveted steel wheels available. Thanks again, Chris! Just cleaned those up and got some 33x10.50r15 BFG AT's mounted up. Was hoping to go with swamper tsl's but they've been backordered for over a year through the usual suppliers. No worries though, these will work fine for weekend duty, camp trips and gravel roads. They measure at 32, which is what I was hoping for. The 255/85r16's from my 60 seemed a bit large on it.

i-SwbCLgm-L.jpg

I just got a set of late oem hubcaps (couldn't afford the early ones) and I'm waiting on a new set of lug nuts to arrive before I mount them up. Excited to get it back on the road after my dumb mistake! ;)
Perfect, Martin! New wheels and new tires at the same time is a car guys first wish. Looking good. Going from 35s on the 62 to 33s was a nice performance bump, power and braking. You'll notice something similar, no doubt. Keep having fun.