• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Minnesota 40

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Not sure this will be much of a build thread, but maybe a place I can keep track of stuff I'm doing, and ask questions about this cool capri blue 1969 FJ40 I just acquired up in Northern Minnesota. Ive been looking for another 40 ever since I reluctantly sold my '73 prior to our move from CO to IA in '14. Kept my FJ60, but still missed having a 40 and I've been hunting ever since, but they are rare out here as most have sadly rusted away. I always scan Craigslist and this one popped up in Rochester MN about 3 hours away (I thought) and it looked pretty clean. Unfortunately, the ad got posted on MUD by someone before I had a chance to call, and when I did, the seller was overwhelmed with lots of calls coming from all over... luckily for me he was an honest guy and was more interested in selling it to a fellow cruiserhead than to someone willing to buy sight unseen or those who sounded like they didn't know much about 40's.

This thing looked clean, and his description intrigued me even more.

00u0u_1hN3eOgW5AUz_0lM0t2_1200x900-L.jpg

Catch was, the 40 lived at his cabin way up in Northern Minnesota, 6 hours away, not in Rochester where he lived, but I was willing to make the trek and I headed up to meet him with my trailer in tow. It was a couple of weeks ago and the temps were sub zero, but clear, so I was looking forward to a nice drive Up North. I left at the buttcrack of dawn and figured I could make it up there, check out the 40, load her up and be home before dark. Unfortunately, my trailer blew a wheel bearing and I didn't notice it until I hit the 20 miles of dirt roads leading to his cabin. When I got to his cabin I was relieved to find he had a nice sized outbuilding, which is where the 40 had lived the past 20+ years, and which would also be a convenient place for me to fix the wheel bearings on my trailer. :) I ended up spending all day with him checking out the 40, and then driving around small town Northern Minnesota gathering the parts to fix my trailer. We made a deal on the 40, I loaded it up and drove back to Iowa. 18 hour day, 14 hours of driving, but probably the most fun I've had this whole stupid pandemic. ;)

20210122_140639-L.jpg
20210122_173325-L.jpg

Tony was quite the kindred spirit. He and I had a lot in common. He was a Michigan guy like I am and had moved to Colorado when he was younger. Had a Scout and a buddy of his owned this 40. Had lots of tales driving trails in Colorado back in the day. He had told his friend that if he ever wanted to sell the 40, to let him know. He sold it to him in '93. Around that time, Tony moved to Minnesota and the 40 went up North to his lake property where it was used for weekends, fishing trips, launching the boat, beer and bait runs, etc. Tony and his family had a lot of great memories with this 40. After a bad car wreck, retirement, a divorce and kids moving out on their own, he was ready to start selling some stuff and simplify I think.

Here is Tony giving it a kiss goodbye :cry:

20210122_174955-L.jpg

The 40 was purchased new in Longmont CO at Bob's Toyota. It still has the original key chain, manuals, stickers and service book and tool roll. No idea what the mileage is but it's only been a weekend truck while Tony has owned it. He claims the Ramsey winch and roll bar were dealer installed. It has it's warts and the rear sill needs replacing, upholstery and headliner are rotten, some electrical components need help, but overall, it's pretty darn clean and I'm excited to get it sorted out.

Here's the tool roll. I'm missing a hammer and a screwdriver if anyone has an extra:

20210126_135928-M.jpg

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That is a perfect story that couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Safe to say you earned that 40 the hard way bro.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm in the process of swapping out the weird original 3/69-9/69 carb with the late 69 early 70's carb that will work better with the vacuum advance distributor on it. Also need to put in a new water pump and replace the metal 4 blade fan and go through the cooling system while it's apart.

The ignition has some non stock wiring in place which I'll replace, and the front turn signals are wired into the bib lights, and the turn signals are some weird aftermarket brand wired as running lights. The wheels are non stock so I'll get some stock steel wheels and hubcaps and new rubber. New upholstery, headliner and hopefully get the rear sill and rust spots on the rockers repaired, but keep as much of the original paint as possible. Has some "ventilation" holes in the hard top too, which shouldn't be too hard to weld up.

mostly just want to get it running well to drive it. :)

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Martin - a very cool story and a cool truck. Best wishes in your efforts to get it where you want it. What a find! (for being in the midwest).

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
sweet score for sure!
Congrats!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Guys!

I have some parts on the way. Weather is terrible here this time of year, but doing a little here and there on it. Looking forward to Spring so I can get it back on the road.

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
Congrats! Cool story. Can't wait to see the progress on this. That GMC RV he has in the background is cool also. One of the only RV's actually ever produced as a complete vehicle by a major vehicle manufacturer. I knew a guy that owned one an he loved it.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Capri Blue! Such a great color! Congrats Martin. That thing needs to find it’s way back to CO!

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
I'm not getting pics!! UUUGHHH!!!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Awesome! Flip the bezel and I'll see if I have a hammer and screwdriver for you. Just messing with you. You can run it anyway you like :) I have reproduction white pyramid rubber for your steps too.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Awesome Martin! Congrats on the find and look forward to the build.

:beer::beer:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Wow, great provenance for a neat old 40. Really sweet find, Martin!

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Wow Martin
Great find and nice story.
Seems like a bit o’ destiny in that one.
I am fond of Capri blue especially on a 69!!

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Nice!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Awesome! Flip the bezel and I'll see if I have a hammer and screwdriver for you. Just messing with you. You can run it anyway you like :) I have reproduction white pyramid rubber for your steps too.

Thanks Mike! Yeah, I flipped the bezel as soon as I got it into the garage. ;) Still had a couple of the original rubber oring spacers behind it too.

So I got a hammer for the tool roll on the way, but if you have the big screwdriver, let me know, that completes the set.

Definitely interested in that white pyramid rubber too. You can still see some of it under the retaining strip, but I imagine the rest crumbled away.

i-GTf7pxP-M.jpg

I'm also on the lookout for an "H" knob for the rear heater blower switch. One of mine cracked apart. Going to try to epoxy it back together, but if anyone has one for a reasonable price, let me know. Apparently they're unobtainium and the few I found on MUD and Ebay were $toopid expensive.

i-3pfBBGW-M.jpg

Does anyone know if this mirror arm is correct? I don't have anything to compare it too but it seems bent and no matter ho I adjust it, it I can only see the ground. :unsure:

i-hHdfjmB-M.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Working on the wiring issues now. There is an intermittent starting problem where I get no spark. PO said it happened occasionally and if he jumpered from the battery to coil, it would start. I started looking through the wiring and noticed that he had ran a new wire from the ignition to the coil, bypassing part of the harness, but I don't see any problem with the original harness, so I'm going to reconnect it. I have a feeling the coil might be bad, and I'm going to go ahead and rebuild the battery wires and terminals. No fusible link on this old setup! Currently there is no power to the cigarette lighter, heater blowers and horn, but I think once I connect the ignition properly, it will fix the issues (I hope).

He gave me some original FSM's, and the manual has a great wiring diagram:

i-mtjXJzT-M.jpg

Check out the dealer sticker on the manual:

i-6TDstPF-S.jpg
i-BBVh7c5-S.jpg

Have to love the simplicity:

i-XDszVDV-M.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Take the fuse block out and douse it in a vinegar bath for an hour or so then clean the fuse holder tabs and wire terminals. Might Be surprised at the good impact it has on it.
It fixed a couple of my problems

A69DF6C8-F300-45C0-BB27-FFEE1A9EAD0A.jpeg

AF737A50-E207-42C0-A07C-8EAEDFC92DF0.jpeg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Good idea, I want to go through it and double check all the connections to get it to match the diagram, so I`ll clean it while its out. Mike, on yours, I saw you had new terminal blocks on the front fenders. Where did you get those?