Bourbon Confessions

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I'm drinking the 12 year right now and while its good I think I like the antique 107 better. good thing as I just got a 1.75 liter of it for $36

I still haven't been able to pick up a bottle of the 12 year since that one over a year ago. I can get the green label, but that's about it around my hood. I'll have to check out Total Beverage every once in a while.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I still haven't been able to pick up a bottle of the 12 year since that one over a year ago. I can get the green label, but that's about it around my hood. I'll have to check out Total Beverage every once in a while.

My local source does not put anything but the green label on the shelf. I have to ask if they have the red or black in the back. I might just be that simple. They don’t want one customer buying it all.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Paul the folks up at DaveCo offered to order/store it for me, I didn't take them up on it though as I just wanted to leave right then, it was the night before HIH. But if you go up there and want to place an order, I'd probably take one too. :)

I haven't asked Total Bev but suspect they'd do the same thing.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
The Antique (red label) is just a hotter version of the standard green label. I think its pretty hit or miss, and the last bottle I had tasted pretty young. But if you can get it for retail then it's a good pour. I just can't stand to see people pay $100 for it.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Paul the folks up at DaveCo offered to order/store it for me, I didn't take them up on it though as I just wanted to leave right then, it was the night before HIH. But if you go up there and want to place an order, I'd probably take one too. :)

I haven't asked Total Bev but suspect they'd do the same thing.

That's where I typically go...I've asked in the past and they said they haven't seen the 12 year in a while. Are you talking about the 107?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah if we're going to special order it should be the 12yr... otherwise I'll just drink the green stuff.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well if you could only have one Bourbon, I am not sure it would be Old Overholt. I asked the guy at Total Bev if there were any that were close to Rittenhouse, both taste and price point, he said he'd heard some good things about this one, so I gave it a shot. I will be bringing this one on the post-run campout on 9/15 to pass around.. :D

Yeah it hits a little hot- the nose is almost toxic when neat, reminded me a little of one of those Everclear in a barrel kits... once opened up, it actually drinks ok and isn't necessarily bad, but IMO it's not necessarily that good either. Tastes a little more like a wheat to me, kinda Rebel Yell? But not that good though. even with the nattie chaser..

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 235

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like you might need to bring some ginger ale with it, Matt! Seems like a mixer to me...don't want to get anyone sick :)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Check this out

Attachments

• 90518CB5-BB43-4F57-8881-4531E65CF47F.jpg
    90518CB5-BB43-4F57-8881-4531E65CF47F.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 190

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
This year’s Thanksgiving bottle. Never had it before, I’ll have to report back in a couple days. My local source gave it a good review.

Excellent choice! I started drinking that back when the show "Justified" was on. It was the stuff the Chief Deputy always pulled out of his desk so I Googled it. I thought if it was on a TV show, it had to be good, right?

Sure enough, from the first sip I was in love! It's good enough I can drink it neat.

After reading through some of your posts though, our tastes may not be similar. I see you're a rye guy, which I am not. Blanton's is definitely one of my favorites though if that tells you where my pallet is.

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Check this out

Just picked up a six pack of this last night based on your post, and because of the 40 on the can. It's really good!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Excellent choice! I started drinking that back when the show "Justified" was on. It was the stuff the Chief Deputy always pulled out of his desk so I Googled it. I thought if it was on a TV show, it had to be good, right?

Sure enough, from the first sip I was in love! It's good enough I can drink it neat.

After reading through some of your posts though, our tastes may not be similar. I see you're a rye guy, which I am not. Blanton's is definitely one of my favorites though if that tells you where my pallet is.

I was hoping to pick up a bottle of the 12yr Weller but they did not have any. So this was pulled from the back stash of loyal customer goodies. I’m definitely a rye guy but not sure where the rest of the family tastes lie. So I went with a standard bourbon. Hopefully I like it as it was much more expensive than my standard choices.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Good to know...that may be my nephews xmas present. One down five to go

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Blanton's is good bourbon - hard to find these days so your liquor store did you right. I see you got an "L" on your cork; a true Blanton's connoisseur collects all the letters. :)

I've been enjoying this Four Roses from Argonauts lately.

bbda1a20bfbfe902bbae46f1c02aca4f.jpg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
That single barrel 4 roses isn’t bad either, Matt.