• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Bourbon Confessions

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I've shared bourbons with a lot you around the campfire, but I suspect there are some other folks in the club that enjoy a good Kentucky spirit. Whatcha got at home? What are you enjoying right now? Who's making white dog? ;)

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Enjoying a bit of the Rock Hill Farms tonight. I opened it last weekend and its pretty delicious.

45b812964851c560a0848f5340ef4950.jpg

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Breck

You got me started on Breckinridge a year or so back in the maze. :)
I flip back and forth between that and Makers most of the time, but will order risky stuff out on biz trips. Had Basil Hayden in Malibu a week ago. Meh...not bad but not my fav.

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
I'm a Whiskey guy for sure and I don't limit myself to one type or another. About a month ago I had 7 different whiskey's on my bar. Yum...

Here's what I've got right now.

Attachments

• image-1526669242.jpg
    image-1526669242.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 554

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
If you are new to whiskey or need options I use an app called Distiller. It has reviews, tasting notes and ratings. It's an awesome way to find money to burn (or drink). My favorite right now has to be A.D. Laws: Four Grains Bourbon or the Secale Straight Rye are unbelievable.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I will gladly accept Rye's into this thread, but please, no Scotch or Irish peat moss whisky. :D

The Basil Haydens is tasty and smooth, but cut down to 80 proof it lacks a bit of the "heat" I'm trending toward these days. But its in my cabinet for sure.

Squishy - I'm kind of excited about the Law's stuff myself. I like that they're distilling and barreling here in Denver rather than outsourcing all their supply. It would be fun to go take a tour of their facility.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
working my way through a christmas present of knob creek single barrel

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Four-Roses-Yellow-Label-I-Bourbon-Intelligencer-e1405734016163-282x300.jpg

For reals, looks like it should be terrible. But it's not. Then again I go about waist level shelf, so take it with an ear of corn.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I prefer the clear likker. Keeping the home state distillers in business
6746ce4d275a5f2b3e36f96b92c094d0.jpg

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I can't wait till it warms up a bit so I can continue to work on my recipe.. Two 20 gallon fermenters don't work in the cold barn.. and I ain't payin' to heat it or bringing them inside. Supply's runnin' low too... even though it's 160 proof it seems to go quick. Started with 5 gallons back when the weather turned.

Attachments

• IMG_5563 (1).JPG
    IMG_5563 (1).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
What would you guys and gals suggest as a good starter? It's mind boggling to walk into a store uneducated and try to pick something.

I've enjoyed a drink here and there but what is a good staring point that won't break the bank.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I find that the $40 mark is where I generally like most offerings. Below that it is really hit and more miss. A good liquor store will have employees that can point you in the right direction.

Templeton Rye is really good at $40. The BH I previously mentioned is in the same price range.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Just head over to Marco's garage - that's a great place to start. :lmao:

I'm sure lots of folks will have opinions, but for me I think the lower proof, wheated bourbons are a good place to get started. They tend to be a bit more balanced and sweeter than something that is higher in rye. I really like the Weller Special Reserve - it's under $25 and has a nice sweetness to it. Larceny is another good one. Maker Mark also fits into the wheated category.

Then you can try and compare it to something with a bit higher rye. I really like Elijah Craig at around $30, and the Eagle Rare 10 is a nice balanced bourbon with rye adding a bit of spiciness. Basil Hayden's was also mentioned earlier and is a really tasty choice for a few more $$.

And if you want to try a bunch, then check out the airplane bottle section and buy a few for $2-3 a piece. You can get Larceny, Makers, Knob Creek (also really good) and a few others that you can compare against each other.

ToyodaTocco

Hard Core 4+
Awesome thread! Keep the suggestions coming.

What would you guys and gals suggest as a good starter? It's mind boggling to walk into a store uneducated and try to pick something.

I've enjoyed a drink here and there but what is a good staring point that won't break the bank.

I like Bullitt rye for a everyday drink. I find that it taste good and won't break the bank but I'm not connoisseur with a sophisticated palate by any means.