• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Bourbon Confessions

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Broke it open tonight. The bottle might not last the evening. It’s delicious. And yes I read that about the corks. As I gave the bottle to my brother in law it’s his cork to keep.

Glad you liked it! I've never heard a negative word about it and I'm curious why it's not more widely distributed. I'm sure it has to do with their capacity and being selective on the markets they sell to.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
So I stepped out of my normal pricing comfort zone tonight. Let’s call it a Christmas present to me. Pretty happy with it so far. Probably add some ice for the 2nd half. Definitely has some burn.

Attachments

• E116AEDE-804E-47AD-A8D8-A4567E1A8C5E.jpg
    E116AEDE-804E-47AD-A8D8-A4567E1A8C5E.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 200

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Whoa! At nearly 130 proof it has got to be plenty "hot". Most Cask Strength editions are around 95-108 proof, and IMO need a splash of water to give it better drinkability.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Corbet...you are definitely a mountain man to even try that one neat! Glad it’s yummy!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Corbet...you are definitely a mountain man to even try that one neat! Glad it’s yummy!

Admittedly my lips were still a little numb yet this morning. But that was probably form all the pepper. Neat was not as rough as you'd assume given the proof. It was still very smooth, but definitely not for everyone. On ice I did not like it as much. I need to try just a splash of water next time. That was a healthy dose last night as a trial run, combined with the nitro porter it accompanied, my back pains were definitely masked for a while :D

Looking at it online the 2nd market pricing is crazy on it. Please don't think I stepped up to that kind of price. My supplier gave to me for just under a C note. Now its back to $30 bottles until next year's holiday season.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Somewhat on topic, are there certain brands, or types of bourbons that give you guys indigestion? I'm starting to notice a trend with certain brands and I'm not savvy enough to know what's causing it.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Bourbon later at night is best with some crackers (something bland) to soak it up a bit. Heartburn ensues if not (for me). I don't find that brand makes a difference, but careful dilution with water can help a lot - esp. if higher proof (Bakers 107 for instance). I have a fragile constitution, apparently.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Ahhh, good to know. I get a little bit regardless of which brand but I like the taste of the bourbon too much to give it up. A couple of Alka-seltzers before bed and I'm usually GTG.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
Perhaps the wheat? Have you noticed any issues drinking heavy wheat beers? There are plenty of beers I stay away from (most of new Belgium) because they cause issues. Much like wine, ingredients matter. Some wine will immediately congest me and give me a headache and others no issues. Try an old scotch and see if it bothers you.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Jeez Corbet. Scoring a Handy (upper case, not lower case) is a big deal. Your local store did you a favor. Anything in the BTAC lineup is highly allocated and hard to come by these days.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Jeez Corbet. Scoring a Handy (upper case, not lower case) is a big deal. Your local store did you a favor. Anything in the BTAC lineup is highly allocated and hard to come by these days.

Yah he takes care of me. He is a client of mine and really appreciates my marketing work. He had two bottles of the rye and a single of I think the Stagg. (everything had fancy tissue type paper wrapped around it) Then a couple other limited edition offerings form other distilleries to choose from.

This bottle will get pushed to the back of the cabinet for special occasions. It needs to last until next season. I'm not getting in the habit of this class of beverage regularly. Here is the info from Buffalo Trace https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/letters/2018 Thomas H. Handy Sazerac.pdf

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Perhaps the wheat? Have you noticed any issues drinking heavy wheat beers? There are plenty of beers I stay away from (most of new Belgium) because they cause issues. Much like wine, ingredients matter. Some wine will immediately congest me and give me a headache and others no issues. Try an old scotch and see if it bothers you.

Huh, that's funny you mention New Belgium as all of their beers give me indigestion as well as a bad headache.

Thanks for the tip! I'll start looking at the ingredients more closely now.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

OMG I just spit coffee out.. :lmao: lower case doesn't feel too bad either! reminds me of the pull pall discussion we had at the club campout. :bolt:

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Just uncorked this bottle of Widow Jane rye mash aged in oak, and apple wood. It’s got the nice rye taste with a little sweetness from the apple wood. Not real sweet like the bourbon corn mash, just nice.
8E318DE3-BECC-47C7-89B1-9A72624C201E.jpeg

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Just uncorked this bottle of Widow Jane rye mash aged in oak, and apple wood. It’s got the nice rye taste with a little sweetness from the apple wood. Not real sweet like the bourbon corn mash, just nice.View attachment 76983
Interesting. Haven't seen that one before.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
A few that I've picked up this fall but haven't opened yet. The Fitz was in a raffle at my favorite local store, and the other two were focused finds.
5FDC3EAF-7305-4968-8D21-F4CFA3E94670.jpeg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
you guys gotta see this...

who's the killer now? :lmao:

also is there a new way to embed youtubes now?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Matt...you’ll have to report back on the Parker’s