2024 Land Cruiser "250 series"

Heckraiser

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
These trucks I think are better looking by not really looking like anything, unlike the big grills they're putting on Lexus, for example, or the Fu Manchu moustache bumper on the 4Runner.
That's a good point. It looks like it would be relatively easy with the new Land Cruiser to remove the front bumper and install a steel winch bumper from your favorite manufacturer (once they become available).

A lot more straightforward than figuring out how to chop the grille and put a bumper on this thing:
Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 1.12.13 PM.png

Crash

Rising Sun Member
That's a good point. It looks like it would be relatively easy with the new Land Cruiser to remove the front bumper and install a steel winch bumper from your favorite manufacturer (once they become available).

A lot more straightforward than figuring out how to chop the grille and put a bumper on this thing:
View attachment 130608
Fugly!

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member

View attachment 130608
Good point. If you look at the 550 and LC, Toyota made some intentional efforts with better cut lines to make aftermarket bumper installs look better and easier to install.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Good point. If you look at the 550 and LC, Toyota made some intentional efforts with better cut lines to make aftermarket bumper installs look better and easier to install.

When the FJC design team from Japan and from CA met with Rising Sun members in 2005, they said that while a solid front axle was not going to happen, they said that they knew they had to be "easy to modify" regarding armor and bumpers and such. I think we were the ones that convinced them of the importance of sliders, which they called "rock rails".

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
When the FJC design team from Japan and from CA met with Rising Sun members in 2005, they said that while a solid front axle was not going to happen, they said that they knew they had to be "easy to modify" regarding armor and bumpers and such. I think we were the ones that convinced them of the importance of sliders, which they called "rock rails".
My assumption for that is safety and ease of maintenance for their techs?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
My assumption for that is safety and ease of maintenance for their techs?

No, not for their techs. The lady from the Torrence design center said that they wanted to make them "easy to modify" for people who wanted to put aftermarket bumpers and suspension on so they could sell more. If you are considering buying a particular rig and intend to modify it, that would factor in to your decision on whether to purchase or not.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The intended markets must factor in. Like the target Lexus buyer I doubt is thinking much about modifications at all. Plus Lexus itself isn't sold in every country globally. Isn't it really only to North America? I'm honestly not sure.

Unlike a Land Cruiser or indeed Prado/250/Hilux/etc really, too. As crazy as U.S. enthusiasts are we're nothing like our brethren down under or elsewhere when it comes to modification right off the showroom floor. And most places are arguably much more demanding that those mods be actually functional over cosmetic. I mean, these are places where Toyota itself puts on bull bars and stuff right at the dealer.

Supporting Jeff's point, the FJC was a global model, too. And it was sold to people very likely to make a lot of mods.

Last edited:

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
No, not for their techs. The lady from the Torrence design center said that they wanted to make them "easy to modify" for people who wanted to put aftermarket bumpers and suspension on so they could sell more. If you are considering buying a particular rig and intend to modify it, that would factor in to your decision on whether to purchase or not.
Sorry I meant in regards to the hard no on a solid front axle. I feel like that’s easier to mod vs. ifs

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Sorry I meant in regards to the hard no on a solid front axle. I feel like that’s easier to mod vs. ifs

That’s how I took it too. I bet you’re right about the ifs vs solid axle.
Ifs maintenance consists of replacing worn/broken cv axles and greasing bearings. Solid axles require more in depth maintenance.
I’m curious to know why it’s standard on the 70 series, but they refuse to give North America any options. Does Toyota think we can’t handle a solid axle? Sarcasm.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
That’s how I took it too. I bet you’re right about the ifs vs solid axle.
Ifs maintenance consists of replacing worn/broken cv axles and greasing bearings. Solid axles require more in depth maintenance.
I’m curious to know why it’s standard on the 70 series, but they refuse to give North America any options. Does Toyota think we can’t handle a solid axle? Sarcasm.

The lady from the Torrence Design team (sorry I forget her name, that was 19 years ago) stated that it was specifically because of NHTSA rules regarding rollover potential. This was in the aftermath of the Ford Explorer debacle and most automakers were wary of the rollover potential of their SUVs. Obviously J**p said "FU" and kept making solid front axles J**ps and didn't get sued like Ford did, but that was kind of the background to this 2005 conversation with the FJC designers. Solid front axles on 70 series that are sold outside the NA market aren't subject to NHTSA rules, or USA lawsuits, so Toyota can sell what the market wants without government regulations or lawsuits dictating what they are permitted to or are willing to sell.

The other thing about Toyota selling IFS versus SFA has much to do with the market. In the USA, and in Europe, we have mostly paved roads that whatever vehicles are likely to drive on. South of the equator, there are fewer paved roads, and that's where you'll see more SFA Land Cruisers and Hiluxes.

As far as maintenance, south of the equator, it is doubtful that any vehicle receives much maintenance. My friend Dom from Namibia told me that pretty much all he and his company did on his fleet of 60s and 70s that he used for his safari company was change the oil and change the tyres (he had split rims and would change out the inner tube when they'd get a flat). Flat tyres were his biggest issue.

He also told me that elephants were the most deadly creature in the jungle. Forget about lions and baboons, elephants will kill your ass.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
The lady from the Torrence Design team (sorry I forget her name, that was 19 years ago) stated that it was specifically because of NHTSA rules regarding rollover potential. This was in the aftermath of the Ford Explorer debacle and most automakers were wary of the rollover potential of their SUVs. Obviously J**p said "FU" and kept making solid front axles J**ps and didn't get sued like Ford did, but that was kind of the background to this 2005 conversation with the FJC designers. Solid front axles on 70 series that are sold outside the NA market aren't subject to NHTSA rules, or USA lawsuits, so Toyota can sell what the market wants without government regulations or lawsuits dictating what they are permitted to or are willing to sell.

The other thing about Toyota selling IFS versus SFA has much to do with the market. In the USA, and in Europe, we have mostly paved roads that whatever vehicles are likely to drive on. South of the equator, there are fewer paved roads, and that's where you'll see more SFA Land Cruisers and Hiluxes.

As far as maintenance, south of the equator, it is doubtful that any vehicle receives much maintenance. My friend Dom from Namibia told me that pretty much all he and his company did on his fleet of 60s and 70s that he used for his safari company was change the oil and change the tyres (he had split rims and would change out the inner tube when they'd get a flat). Flat tyres were his biggest issue.

He also told me that elephants were the most deadly creature in the jungle. Forget about lions and baboons, elephants will kill your ass.
That’s kinda what I was thinking about sfa. I didn’t know the back story with ford though. But I know that jeeps biggest flaw safety wise is the rollover potential which has been attributed to the sfa. I feel like Toyota prides itself on safety, at least here in the NA market so it makes sense that a huge contributing factor to them only offering ifs is that increased safety with it.

Heckraiser

Does anyone know if a 17" wheel will fit on one of these? Stepping down from 18" to 17" was a big part of the bonding process with the LX :eek:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Update