2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Anyone here ever done a generator to alternator conversion? After looking through the wiring diagrams and manuals I have, it looks like someone in the past did this, but its using a domestic alternator and wired incorrectly with some janky homemade brackets. I would like to re-do with Toyota parts. Thinking I could use a 20r alternator and voltage regulator? Need to confirm pulley size and see what the brackets look like.

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
On the hunt for original choke cable. Its a solid core type like an older fj40, but it has a gray knob with a C on it. In the pic below you can see where it's missing, left of the T knob, which is the hand throttle.

i-FQDJHn8-L.jpg

This pic is from the internet, someone else's nice stout that has the correct choke cable and also AM radio and speaker too.

i-4jXqPZX-L.jpg

I think I might have that choke cable stashed away. I'll look for it sometime this week and let you know.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
@HDavis , before you did your swap, what were you running for an alternator and voltage regulator?

img_5746-jpg.80308

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
@HDavis , before you did your swap, what were you running for an alternator and voltage regulator?

img_5746-jpg.80308
Funny enough that alternator turned out to be bad and I think I replaced it with a GM one wire. I drove it around for the summer like that and it was fine. I think the one that was bad was a typical 22r 3 wire alternator and random voltage regulator. My truck had the wire harness hacked out and a painless one was wired in with twist caps.... It was a sorry sight.

Here’s are some photos of the alternator I replaced it with.
777FDA47-CF62-45CE-93C1-7929E0793824.jpeg

Attachments

• 55381444-ED46-47DB-92CD-4E15E71265E0.jpeg
    55381444-ED46-47DB-92CD-4E15E71265E0.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 88

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Wish I could have bought that rolling frame and drive train from you when you did the swap! Lots of good parts there! I'm thinking more about pulling the engine and Trans out as every bolt is seized. Will make it easier for the drilling/tapping to come...

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Put in some spare battery cables and hooked up a battery to see if it would crank. Just turned it over momentarily but sounded good and not seized. :thumb:

Tried some of the electrical stuff and have heater fan, wipers, turn signals (kinda) and parking lights. No headlights, hazards or brake lights though.

Still hunting parts and dealing with seized and broken bolts on the cooling and charging system. Found some radiator hoses at local parts store that will work. Drained fuel and was a bit rusty, but nothing a new fuel filter won't handle.

i-9HDGhSP-L.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Spent some more time playing with Godzilla this weekend.

Had to drill out and helicoil the thermostat housing. Pulled the valve cover and radiator to tap it. Checked/set valves cold. Soaked and flushed the radiator in muriatic acid while it was out as advised. Flushed heater core and block with hose while radiator was out and it looked pretty good.

i-V2x8CvJ-XL.jpg

i-4XBpKSL-L.jpg

Re installed carb, cleaned fuel filter housing and added new element, put the old alternator back in but not wired, just to connect belt to waterpump. Bracket bolts are seized, so may need to pull engine later if it runs to drill/tap for new alternator mounts.

i-hxj5v7K-L.jpg

Re installed the radiator and new hoses. Drained fuel again and blew air through system, no blockages. Refilled with fresh fuel. Tried cranking it over again but no fuel flowing to carb line, unfortunately. Seems like fuel pump needs to be rebuilt. On the hunt for parts again. Similar to fj40 fuel pump but not same.

i-Pvn2zDD-L.jpg

To be continued.

Last edited:

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Not sure how to cut those up right, I appreciate it but you should look into swapping something more modern into it. There’s tons of reasonable options that wouldn’t be too expensive and you could have some fun with the truck

subzali

Hard Core 4+
As I feared, finding rebuild parts for this thing is pretty tough. Thinking I should throw in the towel and part it out before I waste too much time and money. @J Kimmel @Danger Noodle looking for body panels for a rock crawler?
Don’t do it Martin! Might help to step away for a minute. Seems so close to running! Something might turn up!

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
That's too close to running to scrap it. Get a Carter electric fuel pump (or even a cheapie vibrator kind) and get the engine to fire up and run. That will lift your 'keep it' spirits!

I used a GM 1-wire alternator on my FJ45 ('83 2F under the hood) and it was slick. $85 at NAPA (years ago) and I wired it through the factory ammeter so that the ammeter worked. Just like a Toyota alternator, except that it actually produced useful current ;-). Obviously, it was simple to wire it up.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
As I feared, finding rebuild parts for this thing is pretty tough. Thinking I should throw in the towel and part it out before I waste too much time and money. @J Kimmel @Danger Noodle looking for body panels for a rock crawler?
I hardly believe you are ready to throw in the towel yet and if you are really there, don't do it! I definitely struggled with the same dilemma. Owners are finding solutions for the hard-to-find parts, and you have most of the really hard to find stuff. You also have your friends here and we are happy to help track stuff down.

In any case, I know it's not exactly your style, but you can do what I did or swap in a Ford 8.5 rear and pair it with any cool Toyota engine.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I think Martin is being facetious about scraping it. I *know* he wouldn't do anything to waste old iron. Parting it out so other Stouts can live on, yeah maybe. But, no offense guys, but stout Stout sheet metal on a 'crawler? That would be cool but seems like not the best use. At least use the original sheet metal to make tooling for replicas.

OTOH, it's a matter of priorities. Machines are machines...tools. Working on something instead of using it is wasting time and the one thing that is it's impossible to make more time. So unless working on old iron is your true joy sometimes tough decisions are obvious.

God love 'em, it's a special person who can drive nothing but old vintage and collectible vehicles. I have too many other distractions to spend all my time working on trucks. I do enough of that keeping mildly old junk I do own running as it is and those are vehicles where it's only the supply chain disaster working against me.

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
It’s just an 80 series frame & LS away from pure joy. Or a long tedious restore. Either way Martin enjoy. It’s a cool truck.
The 80 series swap has actually been done by a guy in Australia. Its very cool and he wheels it very hard.
1662727252817.png