2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
You take that back! Like Dean’s 40, play it as it lays and it’s all good. Ige’s 25 comes to mind.
I bet Dean would approve of my treatment of this Stout. Makes me smile to imagine him trying to drive it. His knees wouldve been above the dash! :)

I agree with what you guys are saying about keeping an old fleet running. You have to love wrenching on them as much as driving them, and they need to be driven. All three of mine need repairs right now, but are still driveable. :hill:

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I bet Dean would approve of my treatment of this Stout. Makes me smile to imagine him trying to drive it. His knees wouldve been above the dash! :)

I agree with what you guys are saying about keeping an old fleet running. You have to love wrenching on them as much as driving them, and they need to be driven. All three of mine need repairs right now, but are still driveable. :hill:
Was in Trusty, no longer rusty, yesterday and the ’80 Hilux is a bit cramped for me. Remembering Dean and Natalie sitting in the truck, they always looked snug as a bug in a rug. Dean always had a big grin looking like there was no other place to be. He would’ve been just as happy sitting in your Stout, Marlin.

Last edited:

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
Yeah that one is super cool.:cool:

Sooo many are getting their guts ripped out and engine swapped, or body swapped though. I get it, but I I just really like the simplicity and quirkiness of them.
Mine seems like its one of the very few stock, running Stouts left. :zilla:

I won't lie, though, I've been thinking about dropping it a couple of inches. ;)
I am in the business of preservation. Give me a carburetor and I am happy, love keeping these stock or close to stock more and more. With that said and having a number of cruisers I feel like a full time fleet mechanic.

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I am in the business of preservation. Give me a carburetor and I am happy, love keeping these stock or close to stock more and more. With that said and having a number of cruisers I feel like a full time fleet mechanic.

My dear friend Wayne Smith from Calgary, who owned and operated a Land Cruiser business for many years, had words of advice that ring true today: "The farther away you get from stock Toyota Land Cruisers, the farther away you get from that legendary reliability".

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
My dear friend Wayne Smith from Calgary, who owned and operated a Land Cruiser business for many years, had words of advice that ring true today: "The farther away you get from stock Toyota Land Cruisers, the farther away you get from that legendary reliability".
I am in full agreement.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Haven't been able or in the mood to do much with my old trucks lately with all the divorce stuff happening. But it was 75 and sunny today so I decided a little wrench therapy was in order on the Stout. I have still been having some rough idle issues and it needed a bit of choke to keep idling after warmup. So today I finally bolted on the glass site window Nikki carb I rebuilt awhile back to see if it would run any better. The float bowl overfilled immediately. Seemed like a stuck float valve. I reused the original because it looked really good, but I had the new valve that came in the kit so I popped that in. Fired right up and idled great!! Must have been the idle circuit in the other carb. even after warm up with zero choke it idles fine and runs smoother. What I thought was a misfire must have been a carb issue.

Here's the nice OEM glass site window carb in place.
(Now I need to make a new bling fuel line to match)

i-244VLg6-L.jpg

I got a new rubber carb to air cleaner gasket/seal from my 3R parts guy too.

i-6cndrGw-L.jpg

With the new float valve it was still slightly overfilling. The Nikki carb has an interesting adjustment compared to the Aisin carbs I'm used to. On this one, you can remove the float valve without taking the air horn off or opening the carb. Just disconnect the fuel line and unscrew it. There are thin copper washer/shims under it. You add/remove the shims to make small adjustments to the float height. Pretty cool.

i-C2WcXsk-L.jpg

i-KFD9rQk-L.jpg

i-3ZKcCgJ-L.jpg

All buttoned up and I drove it around this afternoon. Small coolant leak from the coolant shutoff valve I installed on the rebuilt head. Will have to drain it down some again and seal that better. Once that's done it's time to take it in for a new exhaust system now that it's finally running better. :thumb:

Last edited:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
That’s so cool Martin. Love those fresh and shiny parts. Sorry to hear about the divorce.☹️

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@MDH33 I guess I missed it … what’s a “Nikki” carb?

And yeah, divorce, I’ve been down that road. Best of luck man. Hopefully turning wrenches helps.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Wow Martin that carb looks awesome, I’ve never seen something with a big window like that. Real sorry to hear about the divorce man :(

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Dang Martin

Been following your stuff for a minute
Really mostly forever…feel like we match up on the OG preservation front.
Hate to hear about the divorce situation…
Know you’re far away location wise now
But if there’s something you need,want, could use let it be known my friend

Love your work and the cut of your jib

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Dang Martin

Been following your stuff for a minute
Really mostly forever…feel like we match up on the OG preservation front.
Hate to hear about the divorce situation…
Know you’re far away location wise now
But if there’s something you need,want, could use let it be known my friend

Love your work and the cut of your jib
Wow Martin that carb looks awesome, I’ve never seen something with a big window like that. Real sorry to hear about the divorce man :(
@MDH33 I guess I missed it … what’s a “Nikki” carb?

And yeah, divorce, I’ve been down that road. Best of luck man. Hopefully turning wrenches helps.
That’s so cool Martin. Love those fresh and shiny parts. Sorry to hear about the divorce.☹️

Thanks guys, yeah it's a crappy situation, but hopefully it will be over soon. Trying to get moved out and I have made an offer on a house, but the legal and bank stuff is dragging on.

About the Nikki Carb, it is OEM and they're pretty cool. Big window and a 2 barrel. Datsun trucks had a similar version around this time. The 1960's Corona with the 3RC actually had an Aisan, so it's odd they used the Nikki on the 3RB Stout.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Thanks guys, yeah it's a crappy situation, but hopefully it will be over soon. Trying to get moved out and I have made an offer on a house, but the legal and bank stuff is dragging on.

About the Nikki Carb, it is OEM and they're pretty cool. Big window and a 2 barrel. Datsun trucks had a similar version around this time. The 1960's Corona with the 3RC actually had an Aisan, so it's odd they used the Nikki on the 3RB Stout.
I didn’t know there was a different OE supplier other than Aisin, and I didn’t know Toyota had 2bbl cards prior to about 1969! Cool!

I think I’m younger than you, but I’ll just say in my experience facing down divorce was scary but life got rapidly better and in hindsight it’s probably one of the best things I ever did. There’s more life for you after the sting fades. Keep wrenchin’!