2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
This is going to make such a difference. Can't wait to hear how it's running with the refreshed head.

It started right up after reassembly and seems to run nice. I still need to re-rebuild the clutch master and slave so haven't been able to drive it yet.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It started right up after reassembly and seems to run nice. I still need to re-rebuild the clutch master and slave so haven't been able to drive it yet.
WOOOOOOO! That's great!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I had been searching for an OEM glass site window for the Carb on the Stout. There is a glass version and a plastic version. I found a complete builder carb with the glass window so I decided to just rebuild it and see if it runs any better than the original I rebuilt last year.

I found a NOS carb rebuild kit in Thailand too.

i-sQPCQCJ-L.jpg

This thing was in great shape. Nothing missing or buggered and the plating cleaned up well.

During the process.

i-39jZ7jh-L.jpg

After. Bling!

i-ZZmM9j2-L.jpg
i-GDg2MhF-L.jpg
i-j9Jr22m-L.jpg

No time to bolt it on tonight, and I want to put in a new fuel filter before I do.

Hope it runs as good as it looks!

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
The glass site window and the glass filter bowl were two of my favorite items on my Stout.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
2 months after pulling the head, it's back on the road!

Finished re--re-building the clutch hydraulics. New guts for slave and ended up just replacing the master as the original was too far gone.

i-THVVShT-L.jpg

I cracked the oem fuel bowl trying to straighten it out, it was deformed from being over tightened. Doh!

Couldn't find an original so I modified the fuel lines and made an FJ40 filter work.

i-JqfF3Lm-L.jpg

i-JTR79K8-L.jpg

Did some laps around the hood then drove it to a local tree farm and got a Christmas tree with my daughter. 🙂

Still have some fine tuning to do, but running a lot better.

i-DWsgkTz-L.jpg

Passed this construction site on the way home from the tree farm/test drive. :zilla:

i-MZ9qCcH-L.jpg

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Nice work martin, this thing is so neat!!

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
I had been searching for an OEM glass site window for the Carb on the Stout. There is a glass version and a plastic version. I found a complete builder carb with the glass window so I decided to just rebuild it and see if it runs any better than the original I rebuilt last year.

I found a NOS carb rebuild kit in Thailand too.

i-sQPCQCJ-L.jpg

This thing was in great shape. Nothing missing or buggered and the plating cleaned up well.

During the process.

i-39jZ7jh-L.jpg

After. Bling!

i-ZZmM9j2-L.jpg
i-GDg2MhF-L.jpg
i-j9Jr22m-L.jpg

No time to bolt it on tonight, and I want to put in a new fuel filter before I do.

Hope it runs as good as it looks!
Like fine jewelry. Beautiful!

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Yeah that one is super cool.:cool:

Sooo many are getting their guts ripped out and engine swapped, or body swapped though. I get it, but I I just really like the simplicity and quirkiness of them.
Mine seems like its one of the very few stock, running Stouts left. :zilla:

I won't lie, though, I've been thinking about dropping it a couple of inches. ;)

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Yeah that one is super cool.:cool:

Sooo many are getting their guts ripped out and engine swapped, or body swapped though. I get it, but I I just really like the simplicity and quirkiness of them.
Mine seems like its one of the very few stock, running Stouts left. :zilla:

I won't lie, though, I've been thinking about dropping it a couple of inches. ;)
You take that back! Like Dean’s 40, play it as it lays and it’s all good. Ige’s 25 comes to mind.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You take that back! Like Dean’s 40, play it as it lays and it’s all good. Ige’s 25 comes to mind.
You're gonna guilt poor Martin into curator of the Rising Sun old iron museum, suggested donation sign on a box by the overhead door.

Was watching a video the other day of a guy who goes looking for barn finds. He comes across these people who are sitting on 50 old cars in an unused loafing shed. The comments are "Who does this hoarder think he is?" But I see it as being a temporary caretaker, preserving something until it finds it's next life.

The problem is when you don't have anything "newish" it takes N+1 old trucks to be sure you have at least one running and that minimum number seems to be four if they are all 1985 or older Toyotas. :-(

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
You're gonna guilt poor Martin into curator of the Rising Sun old iron museum, suggested donation sign on a box by the overhead door.

Was watching a video the other day of a guy who goes looking for barn finds. He comes across these people who are sitting on 50 old cars in an unused loafing shed. The comments are "Who does this hoarder think he is?" But I see it as being a temporary caretaker, preserving something until it finds it's next life.

The problem is when you don't have anything "newish" it takes N+1 old trucks to be sure you have at least one running and that minimum number seems to be four if they are all 1985 or older Toyotas. :-(
Exactly, stewards until the next owner comes along. I think Dean was happy with three.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Exactly, stewards until the next owner comes along. I think Dean was happy with three.
I think even he understood we all have a limit. We discussed new Tacomas a few times, especially after the tRusty situation. What to keep, what to repair, what to do.

It takes a lot to keep the museum pieces going. My decision to sell Imelda was driven by our man Jerry at Burt, who would tell me "You should buy this or that." He'd see evidence of it going out of production. From what I gathered his experience watching numbers across the distribution system and from suggested stocking notes that Toyota was testing demand. I wasn't (and really still am not, honestly) in a place I can keep two 4WD Toyotas so one has to do everything. It's why I got the 1991 in the first place, an old FJ40 even in Y2K took too much time away from going to work and camping on weekends. It's a labor of love.

So with guys like Jerry, Joe and Gene and his counter guys at NAPA leaving and retiring the writing was on the wall that it's only getting harder to keep them going with no one who was experienced and willing to help. Couple that with tightening emissions and E15 and other crap. I suppose you start to rethinking not having something at least OBD-II EFI in the quiver.

I'll say this much, getting the 1985 legal in Mesa County was I wager a whole lotta less headache than Arapahoe...

Last edited: