2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Well, after weeks of waiting on parts and lots of wrenching, it seems the stout is in a "two steps forward, three steps back" mode. I got all of the wiring replaced for the alternator and new VR. Re flushed the "new" radiator and added new water pump, gaskets, hoses, etc.

i-GzNHPg9-L.jpg

Fired it up to test charging system and it fired up but charge light stays on and there's no difference in battery voltage (off) vs alternator while running... guess my wiring job is messed up.

Pulled it out of garage and now parking brake cable is seized up... and one of the newly rebuilt wheel cylinders is leaking...

Filled with coolant and tried to burp it and no air is escaping and immediately overheats, just as it did before all the waterpump work... :banghead:

I flushed this new radiator 2 times, but perhaps it's just blocked solid it also is not identical to my oem unit. It didn't overheat prior to the radiator swap, so that's where I'm guessing the issue is. Bummer as I spent a ridiculous amount to buy and ship this crap radiator.

Anyway, after weeks of work and parts, no progress. 😒

Stout is getting put into storage. Maybe it will be there another decade like before 😝

Need to get the 60 out which is ready for some maintenance and the 40 needs a new manifold gasket...

Adios folks!

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Damn dude. Maybe she'll treat you better after you let her have some alone time. ;)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Had some time this morning to mess with it some more. I tried a different connection for the IG on the Voltage Regulator and that fixed my no charge issue. Working great now. 👍

I decided to pull the T stat out and that seems to have been the culprit! It was new, but who knows. I took it for a long drive and the temp guage was warm, but not pegged or overheating like before.

I disconnected the parking brake and will need to re-do that wheel cylinder, but at least for now it's movable under its own power. :zilla:

View: https://youtu.be/54odEcpJbjw

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Good stuff, Martin! I'm sure it's fantastic feeling like you may be on the other side of troubleshooting.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I was going to slap you untill I saw that last post.

Nice work martin.

Drive that thing to a Drive-In. Drink whiskey in the bed with mamasita.

Also, its green there. Damn.

wesintl

RS Moderator
excellent

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Stout was in storage all summer. Needed a break! When i tried pulling it out last week the clutch hydraulics burst. I spent this morning fixing that at the storage unit. (Fun ;)) got it home under its own power, so i can dig deeper into trans and engine.

i-Q6bNGwc-L.jpg

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Stout was in storage all summer. Needed a break! When i tried pulling it out last week the clutch hydraulics burst. I spent this morning fixing that at the storage unit. (Fun ;)) got it home under its own power, so i can dig deeper into trans and engine.

i-Q6bNGwc-L.jpg
Who needs a clutch? 😉

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Martin, next time we meet around a campfire remind me to tell you the story of two stoned hippies and a dirt dog driving a '57 Ford halfton around San Francisco in 1977 with no clutch for two days. Thank goodness for granny gear. We made it too!

Crash

Rising Sun Member

i-Q6bNGwc-L.jpg
What a pair to draw to. Worth all the effort you have put into them. 👍

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Just for future reference if anyone is searching obscure Stout stuff and come across this lame thread. 😋

I've been searching/researching air filter replacements since I got this. Mine looks to have the original. I finally found an aftermarket that is very close to oem dimensions. WIX 46181. ordered through O'Reilly and had in 1 day.

i-V8pXMND-L.jpg

i-4Cw5Bhg-L.jpg

We'll see how it runs! This was not listed as a Stout part but cross referenced as Toyota deisel pickup, and gas Isuzu Trooper.

For reference, some pics and part number cross reference nerd stuff

DSC08070.jpg

125ec63808dda15dc168f127fbbe5ba8.jpeg

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Still having some poor running and overheating. I got a 32 mm socket for the crank and was able to do a better leak down test on it by holding the crank with a breaker bar as I added the air. Test showed a little air past the rings, as expected for an old truck, but I was getting a lot of air into the head on 3 and 4. Decided to dig deeper and pulled it based on that test.

i-nR3jFKw-L.jpg

Lots of carbon. Oem head gasket. Previous owners confirm it hasn't been apart in over 25 years.but copper seal oem?
i-MLpHfJH-L.jpg

I was expecting a blow out or crack to explain the overheat... nope looks pretty good.

i-BsfjTCM-L.jpg

No cracks in head, but I can see oil getting past valve seals. Hardened valve seats will be installed. New valves and gaskets incoming.

Reference:

i-zhtc7k6-L.jpg

i-QrXFrpc-L.jpg

i-dxwNLrk-L.jpg

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
It took almost a month, but I got the head back from the machine shop and sourced a NOS OEM top end gasket kit!

The machinist said the head was crack free and nice and flat, but the valve guides, seals and seats were shot and the freeze plugs were leaking. It now has all new valves, hardened seats, guides, seals, etc. About ready to pop it back on.

Pics, because we all love pics of old parts. 😉
i-npmbJRL-L.jpg

i-xpQWSvt-L.jpg
i-wPJp3N8-L.jpg
i-2WCPcxj-L.jpg

Scored a NOS temp sender too

i-WpBWtr6-L.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Question:

Before I bolt it back on, I need to clean the block surface. There's a lot of carbon buildup on the pistons as well. What's the best method that won't get crap into th e rings? Was thinking I could sand it with a block and use lots of parts cleaner and air and try and rinse it past rings as oil will be drained anyway?

i-MLpHfJH-L.jpg

Edit:

I decided to just go for it. I got it pretty clean used parts cleaner and air to keep the debris out of the rings, seems to have worked well enough. Sprayed some fogging/assembly oil in the cylinders before I bolted it back together.

i-QR6k43s-L.jpg
i-MSWd8s5-L.jpg
i-Pqgv6jr-L.jpg

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This is going to make such a difference. Can't wait to hear how it's running with the refreshed head.