2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
There they are! Parking lights? Very cool and you are driving the sweetest truck in town. Awesome.
Parking lights and turn signals.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I got the replacement radiator installed. Seems to be leak free but engine is overheating pretty quickly. Almost seems like waterpump isn't pumping? Top of radiator and engine hot but bottom of radiator and lower radiator hose cool. The guy I bought the radiator from said he had it checked at his radiator shop and it was good. Could be air in the system, but it didn't burp any after filling and starting. Could waterpump be bad? I have heating system disconnected, so I can't tell if coolant is circulating.

Any ideas?

:unsure:

Also, It continues to blow the fuse for the guages, which is a pain as I am trying to monitor temperature. All of the wiring looks fine except for the alternator wiring, which was modified when the generator was swapped out for a 1 wire GM unit. I think charge light is not connected. Could use some advice chasing this down as I h8 electrical issues!

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Probably need to burp it. I bet it’s got a huge air pocket in the head.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Find something you can use as a funnel in the neck and let it warm up with the funnel in Full of coolant

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
There are many versions of this out there. It works great for filling the cooling system and getting all the air out.

collant_funnel_02-jpg.87721

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Did the burp with funnel when I filled, but radiator seems placid. ?

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Put the front end up as high as you can with the cap off the radiator and run Godzilla up. Probably some fine points to this method but you get the idea. 👍

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Can you pull a heater hose by the heater core (perhaps briefly while it's running (and still cold)) and see if coolant gushes out (or air)? This might clue you in to a blockage or a big air bubble trapped in there. Is the fan clutch (if equipped) working? My FJ40 lower radiator hose rarely gets very hot, so a cold lower hose isn't always a sign of something amiss.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Heater hoses are not connected currently, long story, but I need a new shutoff valve.

Another snow storm today, so I guess I won't be out working on it anyway... 🥶 ready for winter to be over.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Can you pull a heater hose by the heater core (perhaps briefly while it's running (and still cold)) and see if coolant gushes out (or air)? This might clue you in to a blockage or a big air bubble trapped in there. Is the fan clutch (if equipped) working? My FJ40 lower radiator hose rarely gets very hot, so a cold lower hose isn't always a sign of something amiss.

Thinking about this, I have a 5/8 shutoff valve from an fj40 on it now, but no hose, so maybe I'll connect some hose and see if it's flowing. With that valve will be easy enough to turn it on and off if coolant vs air is coming out.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I got the proper sized shutoff valve for the heater system and reconnected that and tried burping it again but no dice, still over heating...

i-hbf48Kf-L.jpg

i-89ht3xT-L.jpg

I've done this routine many times on 40's, 60's and minitrucks so i dont think its an air bubble. Coolant is defininetly finding its way to bottom of radiator but top is super hot and bottom cold. Heater line from top of head hot too. Only 2 things that have changed are different radiator and i put thermostat back in, which seems to be opening since top is hot.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
That Prestone tee fitting would go at the highest point of the hose off the head shut off valve. Hot steam gets hotter than hot water.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
After another round of air purge today, it started leaking from the weep hole on the waterpump, so I'm going to go ahead and replace it and check all of the passages that I can. Waterpump parts seem readily available, good news.

Also, as mentioned in the other electrical gremlin thread, I think I found the issue: reverse switch abrasion from the parking brake drum.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Debate on the Stout Facebook group about jacks. Some claimed same as Land Cruiser.

67 Stout jack on left, 69 Land Cruiser on right:

i-LPTNQQz-L.jpg

Stout 09110-35020. FJ40 09110-35011

Another fun comparison of size. Stout fan on left, FJ40 fan on right.m

i-d2vz45b-L.jpg

Pulled the waterpump, looks fine but was Definitely leaking. Don't think it was overheat issue though.. going to replace while it's off along with another hose and all the clamps. Have better access to janky alternator brackets now too. It will be down awhile waiting on parts...

i-8sCtH4M-L.jpg

i-hdmpPGm-L.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Drained and removed cooling system (again!) I just received the long awaited parts shipments. I got the water pump, gasket, clamps, etc. Also decided to give the "new" radiator the muriatic acid treatment. It was clogged and rusty! Glad I did. Will flow much better I think. Also have the correct brackets on hand finally for the Toyota alternator. Unfortunately I snapped 2 out of 3 bolts off in the block taking the janky gm alternator and home made brackets off. Ugh! Tried so hard. In process of removing broken bolts, so cooling system re install on hold.

Meanwhile, these little unobtainium NOS jewels arrived!

Too nice for this truck! Feel bad even removing them from the old box they've been nestled away in the last 50+ years.

Will look nice with the new rear lenses and my originals were toasted.

i-8CZH42d-L.jpg

i-bJG2gWQ-L.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
OCD Score Up!!!!
New level unlocked

Love it Martin so glad there’s freaks out there like me
And keep getting that stout ready for its new home in Denver 😀👍
Thank you sir, I'm trying my best to do this cool old truck justice! To assuage your fears that I'll put the cooling system back together with the auto zone hose clamps, here's the hard to find, proper OEM size double band clamps, ready to go. 🤓

i-NZKSfc6-L.jpg