2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Still waiting for the new brake MC to show up, but it's Snowing today and had an ice storm yesterday, so not great conditions to be in the garage.

I did get these in the mail tho!

i-TPTRCRX-M.jpg

There`s no collector plates in Iowa, but you can register as a classic and use original plates if they match the year. Found a set on evil bay, even have my lucky number "33" in there!
Sweet!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Man those brakes look dreamy... I bet you almost go over the handle bars first time you really hit em.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Still waiting for the new brake MC to show up, but it's Snowing today and had an ice storm yesterday, so not great conditions to be in the garage.

I did get these in the mail tho!

i-TPTRCRX-M.jpg

There`s no collector plates in Iowa, but you can register as a classic and use original plates if they match the year. Found a set on evil bay, even have my lucky number "33" in there!
awesome, Tama county... close. you need a 29?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I believe we have the same thing here in CO if you can get a plate that matches the year.
Yep. I have a 1953 Colorado plate on my 1953 Willys CJ3A. It's easy to add old, original plate(s) to your registration and there is no fee to do so. I wish I had both front and rear plates, but I just have the one.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Made some good progress on Godzilla today. Warmed up a bit so the 1/2 " of ice covering everything outside from the storm last week started thawing and raining down.

I got the new brake MC from Cruiser Outfitters. Bolted that up and realized that it had an odd size fitting for the brake line. It was neither an old 9mm or a newer 10mm? Weird. I have some old parts I pulled out to compare. I found one from my '69 40 with the old 9mm. One that came with it in the parts box with a 10mm fitting... so, I disassembled my brand new MC and the old one with the 10mm plate and swapped them.

i-8GXXfD2-L.jpg

I got my daughter outside to help me bleed the system. That took awhile as usual with drums. Got it all bled but one of the rear cylinder bleeder valves kept leaking. Dammit! They were pretty crusty when I pulled them originally, so not a huge surprise..

i-Wdp6CgQ-M.jpg

The cylinders on the stout use a ball bearing in the bleeder to seal and the rears were rusted and pitted but I had tried to clean them up. Wasn't enough and one leaked. I spent a couple hours driving around town trying to find ball bearings... No auto stores carry them and the machine parts place is only open weekdays. Dammit!

I hit the farm supply and got a generic bearing, looked about right. Cut that sucker in half and pulled the balls out. Perfect match! Couldn't believe it.

i-FjdKT6n-L.jpg

i-dKwNCHf-M.jpg

Got it back together, bled it a second time and it seems like it's leak free! Then spent way to much time laying on my cold garage floor adjusting and fidling with the brakes before finally bolting the wheels back on. It's been on jack stands 6 months!

Back on the ground with new rubber.

i-MdJ6bLF-M.jpg

It's ready for a test drive but It was getting dark and tomorrow looks like it's going to be a really nice day. 👍 :zilla:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
You have come so far already and have really adapted to the lifestyle of owning a Stout! It looks really good sitting there with the new tires and the running lights on.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Martin, your wrenching skills just keep increasing. Finding the right replacement bearing was genius. Hans is right, the truck looks great on the ground. So close!

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Made some good progress on Godzilla today. Warmed up a bit so the 1/2 " of ice covering everything outside from the storm last week started thawing and raining down.

I got the new brake MC from Cruiser Outfitters. Bolted that up and realized that it had an odd size fitting for the brake line. It was neither an old 9mm or a newer 10mm? Weird. I have some old parts I pulled out to compare. I found one from my '69 40 with the old 9mm. One that came with it in the parts box with a 10mm fitting... so, I disassembled my brand new MC and the old one with the 10mm plate and swapped them.

i-8GXXfD2-L.jpg

I got my daughter outside to help me bleed the system. That took awhile as usual with drums. Got it all bled but one of the rear cylinder bleeder valves kept leaking. Dammit! They were pretty crusty when I pulled them originally, so not a huge surprise..

i-Wdp6CgQ-M.jpg

The cylinders on the stout use a ball bearing in the bleeder to seal and the rears were rusted and pitted but I had tried to clean them up. Wasn't enough and one leaked. I spent a couple hours driving around town trying to find ball bearings... No auto stores carry them and the machine parts place is only open weekdays. Dammit!

I hit the farm supply and got a generic bearing, looked about right. Cut that sucker in half and pulled the balls out. Perfect match! Couldn't believe it.

i-FjdKT6n-L.jpg

i-dKwNCHf-M.jpg

Got it back together, bled it a second time and it seems like it's leak free! Then spent way to much time laying on my cold garage floor adjusting and fidling with the brakes before finally bolting the wheels back on. It's been on jack stands 6 months!

Back on the ground with new rubber.

i-MdJ6bLF-M.jpg

It's ready for a test drive but It was getting dark and tomorrow looks like it's going to be a really nice day. 👍 :zilla:
Now that's some ingenuity. Nice thinking trying to find matching ball bearings from a farm supply store of all places. I felt bad leaving my rig on stands for 48 hours and that was a huge relief getting back on some feet, can't imagine what it's like having one on stands for half a year.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Awesome! Looks great!
Can’t wait to hear how the test drive goes.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Well, the good news is that it starts, runs, shifts, steers and stops! 🙂👍

View: https://youtu.be/9TLVflz7ahU

Bad news is that after a trip around the block to check under the hood (looked fine), when I closed it, the hood catch missed the hole, angled backwards and punched a nice big hole in the radiator! 😑 didn't even get to do donuts or take it to the car wash yet...

Oh well, at least it runs, and I can tell it will be super fun to drive. Going to pull the radiator and see if the radiator shop can repair it. Fingers crossed. Will be a good time to replace the heater hoses with it drained again. Might see if I can track down the proper Toyota double wire hose clamps too.

And going to replace/modify this hood harpoon. Not a thoughtful design!

i-fn3WbxJ-M.jpg

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Awesome to see it on the road man! The radiator thing sucks, but not that huge in the grand scheme of things. Good job buddy! :zilla:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
So great Martin
I love your stout and your work!
And the struggle is real but also inspiring!!

I got a sweet 82 sr5 hilux..who wants this modern 41 year old iron when you can have OG!!

Just fyi when you’re ready ;-)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Dropped the radiator off at a local small-town-old-school radiator repair shop. He thinks he can fix it! Said it might be a week or two though. Must be busy. Going to work on cleaning up engine bay and cooling system upgrades while it's apart. Found a 5R alternator I think will work, so might mess with some electrical too.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I got the radiator back. The repair guy said it was really bad and there were several other cracks. He repaired, but wouldn't guarantee it. I got it reinstalled and it does have a couple small weeps, but it's driveable! I actually took it to the carwash (probably first wash in 20+ years) today and then on a nice long drive around town. 😍 It ran pretty well. There's a stumble and idle is still kind of rough, but it seemed to improve the more I drove it. Blast the cobwebs out is the plan. It blew the fuse for the guages, so need to start going through wiring deeper. Turn signals are touch and go but lights work.

Also ordered seatbelts from seatbelt planet and they are awesome, got them installed this morning. This truck had none but there was a captive nut in the B pillar and rubber knock outs in the floor behind the seats, so install was easy with their hardware kit. Only had to drill 2 holes. Cool period correct and even got shoulder belts.

Anyway, here's a Video in a parking lot near the ISU campus and a bunch of pics out of the garage! :headbang:

View: https://youtu.be/QvUpNOthjlw

i-6CWPrjn-L.jpg

i-vq2NNQC-L.jpg

It's kind of stink bug, so might lower the back a bit. Maybe drop a leaf or put in some blocks. It won't be doing any heavy hauling.

i-mn8QQCf-L.jpg

i-R67QGX2-L.jpg

i-D3qLDg4-L.jpg
i-6k7HQhd-L.jpg

Godzilla! :zilla:

i-Z3mtXx9-L.jpg

i-4B6KZrJ-L.jpg

i-QCLK7p3-L.jpg

Also, Wes made me feel guilty about the incorrect Iowa County plates, so found a set!

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That thing is so cool Martin! I love the part where it starts rolling away at the end of the video. :D :zilla: