2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Had a little time today and the weather was great. Looks like rain and more snow moving in this week. I got a radiator overflow tank, lines and a new cap from ToyotaMatt and fab'd up a bracket to connect it to the radiator support. He also sent me a new fuel temp sendor wire with the proper clip and I got that and the oil pressure sender hooked up correctly. Good stuff.

i-ZnTdN8G-L.jpg

i-D3VTs6V-L.jpg

Planning to pull the radiator and get it re-furbed once I test drive this pile a bit! Need to pull that air cleaner off and sand paint that thing!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Hit a road block on the front spindle/bearings. Grease seal is nla, part number is supposed to go through '78 but the aftermarket part I just got doesn't fit. Can't find any images of what the seal is supposed to look like... at this point, can't assemble the front end. Bummed out as I got pretty close to driving it. Have some lines out on parts, we'll see... cheers.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Interesting. Is that why it was missing in the first place? I bet you can find a seal it may take some paging through catalogs of your NAPA still has them. Or maybe on a seal MFG website find it by size?

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I had a mystery trailer and a bearing shop measured the hub seals by the ID and OD and looked them up in a book. We eventually found that the trailer spindles were from a '54 Ford, and I was able to get all the parts from Rock Auto. But, it took a lot of digging and fiddling around. If you get a seal that has the right ID and the OD is a little small, you can caulk them in place.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the tips, I will keep trying.

The hard thing about this seal is it has a weird shape, it's not a typical hub grease seal. Seems like it must have a lip to interface with the weird spindle, The fsm doesn't even mention installing it (but shows it in the diagram, parts manual too). The inner bearing requires a sst to hammer it onto the spindle before the hub goes on, which is even weirder.

I haven't found any stout owners on the minitruck forum or Facebook group who have done this. It seems like most Stouts out there don't run, or if they do they've had frame/axle/engine swaps done. (And I get it, but I'm not going there). 😋

Hunt continues. I ordered some more mystery/potential parts off ebay. My wife wants to strangle me, but really haven't spent much on this thing really. Yet!

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the tips, I will keep trying.

The hard thing about this seal is it has a weird shape, it's not a typical hub grease seal. Seems like it must have a lip to interface with the weird spindle, The fsm doesn't even mention installing it (but shows it in the diagram, parts manual too). The inner bearing requires a sst to hammer it onto the spindle before the hub goes on, which is even weirder.

I haven't found any stout owners on the minitruck forum or Facebook group who have done this. It seems like most Stouts out there don't run, or if they do they've had frame/axle/engine swaps done. (And I get it, but I'm not going there). 😋

Hunt continues. I ordered some more mystery/potential parts off ebay. My wife wants to strangle me, but really haven't spent much on this thing really. Yet!
You are fighting the good fight here. I have faith. I did some searching and came up empty. Did you try the Australian Facebook group?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
You are fighting the good fight here. I have faith. I did some searching and came up empty. Did you try the Australian Facebook group?
I have looked a bit, but the majority of stouts in oz are rk 101 heavy. Rk 41 lite are rare everywhere seems.

RDub

I have looked a bit, but the majority of stouts in oz are rk 101 heavy. Rk 41 lite are rare everywhere seems.
Maybe someone like Beno/Onur from MUD can reach back in the archives and find some info? That guy is a wizard of all things Toyota parts related.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Apparently, that danged grease seal was right there before my eyes all this time. It took some ebayin` to figure it out. Got some neat made in Japan aftermarket beauties based on the part number. Lucked out. Once they arrived, I realized the original seals were stuck on the spindle all along... it was so well stuck just looked like part of the spindle and I guess I'm used to a grease seal spinnin on the hub?? Ha

Anyway. Yeah, I'm stoopid. But at least now I'm posting a bunch of pics and part numbers for folks that try this after me and find it on the interweb. :)

Here's the original, was stuck on there good. Not sure the new one will be an improvement. We'll see first time we get it nice and hot on the highway.

Thought this was one solid piece:

i-hXGQH2C-X4.jpg

Nope. I'm stoopid. That ring deally-o IS the oil seal.

Had to beat the snot out of it to pop er loose.

i-bz4QkkX-XL.jpg

Toyota part number 43441-30020

i-whX5HXw-XL.jpg

Part "E"in the diagram. I assumed it was rubber or metal outer/rubber inner and would press into the hub, but now makes sense it's pressed onto the spindle before the inner bearing gets pressed on.

i-FmBR9s6-L.jpg

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Very nice Martin.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
No, you’re not stupid. Why should you be different from everyone else?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I don't know. I feel so dumb. I've assembled a bunch of trailer bearings and 2wd's but this one just really had me stumped. :unsure::wrench:

Too much 4wd toyota hub on the brain...

Anyway, might get to try driving this damn thing around the hood illegally this weekend if I find time to reassemble this front end! :zilla:

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Got the front brakes on, hubs reassembled with new bearings. Did my initial adjust on the drums prior to bleeding. Decided to bench bleed the MC I had bolted on from my 40 parts. It was bad... ordered a new MC. Won't be able to drive it yet but no big deal. I have some new rubber incoming to replace the dry rotted donuts. Should be able to get those mounted while I wait for the MC.

Wish I would've painted those backing plates while they were off. (Let's see if it runs and drives first)

i-GNC7bP8-L.jpg

i-5Hs5SNC-L.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Got some some new rubber on the rims today. We're getting close folks!

i-gXTzssh-L.jpg

Apparently the tire guy doesn't know about the balance dots.. oh well, this thing probably won't break 60, and that's assuming it will be drivable at all! :zilla: :)

New master cylinder incoming from cruiser outfitters! I could have rebuilt the old one but I'm getting impatient, and since it's same as fj40, it was available.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Got some some new rubber on the rims today. We're getting close folks!

i-gXTzssh-L.jpg

Apparently the tire guy doesn't know about the balance dots.. oh well, this thing probably won't break 60, and that's assuming it will be drivable at all! :zilla: :)

New master cylinder incoming from cruiser outfitters! I could have rebuilt the old one but I'm getting impatient, and since it's same as fj40, it was available.
Most tire techs don't care unfortunately.
Lookin great so far!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah it’s 50-50 whether or not they seem to get them close on my tires. Either way it’ll work ok just take more weight I guess..

Glad it’s getting close it’ll be super neat to be able to drive it

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Still waiting for the new brake MC to show up, but it's Snowing today and had an ice storm yesterday, so not great conditions to be in the garage.

I did get these in the mail tho!

i-TPTRCRX-M.jpg

There`s no collector plates in Iowa, but you can register as a classic and use original plates if they match the year. Found a set on evil bay, even have my lucky number "33" in there!