• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah keep posting!

It’s fun doing those kind of rebuilds but surely it takes more time. Cheaper tho… that’s a plus. Don’t hate yourself if one leaks and you gotta sort that out. Buy a decent hone don’t just dingle ball them. Replace the stones if they wear it’ll gone all crooked.

This exactly where I’m at with the ***p.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
that drum puller is sweet! I can think of a couple times that would have come in really handy. keep at it, man!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I got the funky rear wheel cylinders apart and they cleaned up surprisingly well. Gummed up with old brake fluid but nice and smooth inside and looks like they were rebuilt at some point as the rubber parts are in great shape. Even had some legible part numbers on them. Going to reassemble these and run them.

i-DCzcX6B-XL.jpg

i-DnrjF5m-L.jpg

The front cylinders I have Toyota rebuild kits for. They're seized pretty good and I haven't figured out a way to get them apart yet. I was going to try grease zerks, but they're M11x1.25 openings for the bleeder and banjo bolt. They're also not double ended so can't drive them out. I tried air but no dice. Soaking in penetrating oil for now.

I got rebuild kits for the clutch master/slave but the slave is seized on too. Heat, oil, beat, repeat routine started. :zilla: IH8RUST! ;)

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
This truck has the dreaded 9mm brake fittings but some have been switched to sae 3/8. I would prefer everything to be 10mm which is what the newer MC is. Anyone have a source for banjo fittings that accept 10mm line fittings? I'm already going to be bending a bunch of new lines, so might as well upgrade if I can find the parts.

Here's the oem 9mm fittings next to an sae 3/8.

i-GWjFMQR-L.jpg

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Missing both the outer boot and the inner donut shaped seal that goes on the piston.

Clever idea making your own! I might try that if I can't find a kit.

On those Crown shoes, did you look for a specific part number or year?
I don't recall exactly what year and I can't seem to find the purchase history for the part number. I think it was for a 1972 Crown.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
After thinking about those seized wheel cylinders awhile, I realized I was on the right track with the grease zerk plan, but trying to implement it wrong. I was thinking I could install the zerk direct into the cylinder where the banjo bolt goes, but it's that odd M11 size.
Instead I used an sae banjo and put an sae zerk in it. Worked great!

i-MgcnjZR-XL.jpg

i-XzBQF4d-L.jpg

i-5J983CR-L.jpg

Cleaned up pretty well. Didn't require as much grease as I had feared.

I have new oem pistons, cups, springs and boots for these.

i-nxRnQ3q-L.jpg

Edit: front are marked ASCO, rear are ALCO. I've seen some others online marked Aisin. All with the teq logo. Wonder what the story is?

i-8HrcC4z-XL.jpg

I'm off to SC later this week so hopefully the new shoes arrive while I'm gone and I can get it reassembled when I return.

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Martin, I want a ride in the Stout when it’s complete. 👍

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Brilliant! (y)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Martin, I want a ride in the Stout when it’s complete. 👍
Heck yeah Steve! I was thinking it would be fun to trailer it out for the rally or something, then cruise around and hit some brew pubs. Hopefully it'll be a driver by this summer. 🍺

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Some pre-Aisin hubs are stamped with Asco.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Assembled the front cylinders, cleaned up all the hardware and got them bolted on. Still waiting on brake shoes.

i-cXvb6pW-L.jpg

i-XLMdC3x-L.jpg

i-72TWzhp-L.jpg

I got the adjusters apart. I found one OEM NOS unit on ebay Asia. waiting for it to arrive. Between the new one and the 2 crusty ones, I can make a functioning pair.

i-W2Sf9dQ-L.jpg

Only thing I'm still looking for (for the brakes) are the 10mm banjo fittings. I might have a couple more 9mm pieces in my 40 stash if I can't find the 10mm that are compatible with the M11 banjo bolts.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Should wheel cylinders be painted?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Should wheel cylinders be painted?
I do if i'm rebuilding them. I'm actually waiting on the rear set to dry. I wire wheeled the rust and old paint off. The fronts are actually aluminum and in great shape, Just needed to be cleaned up. Guessing they were replaced at some point since they're not old iron like the rears.