• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
It was butt cold and windy this morning so i took the day off (outdoor manual laborer, 🥶). Warmed up to about 25° by afternoon so decided to mess with the stout again.

I warmed it up and reset the timing to stock. This video is idling (a little high) with a little choke showing the vacuum.

once it was warmed up and idling with no choke i sprayed carb cleaner around manifold and carb but there was no change in rpm.

I tried the aquanet but, unfortunately, zero change.

Next video shows vacuum as it is idling warmed up,, no choke, and how it changes with revs, and as it struggles to idle.

i'm no expert at reading the vacuum guage, so i hope some of you guys can weigh in. Time to pull head and look for burnt valves?

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Steve, if you can share that second video with BVB, let me know what he thinks. Super appreciate the help. 🙂

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m no help but I saw this on the web.
😍
E5C63A68-79AA-4430-A6B0-85433673EA1D.jpeg
07455E6C-B4FA-48E5-B18E-89F634D52CC1.jpeg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Lots of lowrider mini trucks out there. That one was done right, full frame rebuild.

I'm hoping to keep mine stock. 😉 probably a dumb idea as parts are impossible. But oh well.

@wesintl did you see the new vid of the vacuum and running?

wesintl

RS Moderator
Are you sure about the carb rebuild? You said the mix wasn't working? the stalling seems to be a carb issue. The fluttering of the vacuum imho points to valves.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Are you sure about the carb rebuild? You said the mix wasn't working? the stalling seems to be a carb issue. The fluttering of the vacuum imho points to valves.
Could be both. I pulled the carb off again on Sunday. I opened it up and checked all the jets and passages with wire and blasted it out with carb cleaner. Also discovered the gasket for the airhorn was upside down. I thought it was symetrical, but its not. There was a gap right next to the idle jet. Ran out of daylight so havent started it back up yet but hopefully tonight.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Good sleuthing, That should def fix the stall. Hopefully it fixes the low vacuum too!

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
hoping the gasket swap helped!!!!
Good sleuthing, That should def fix the stall. Hopefully it fixes the low vacuum too!

So good news. Going through the carb fixed the idle problem. It starts right up with 1/2 choke and once warm, I can close choke and it idles. The mix screw is now functioning as well.

Bad news is that the vacuum is still 15 inHg, and there's still a miss/stumble, so I'm going to do the leak down one more time and try to pinpoint the problem after I check the valve clearances and points one more time. Like you guys have suggested, it may be bad valves, guides or worn rings. I contacted my parts connection and he has everything to do the top end or a full rebuild, but I may just try to get the brakes and clutch working next just so I can drive it around a little before going deeper!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Thats great news!!! I'd work on the rest of it now! Maybe do the easy top end stuff like check valve clearances but otherwise i'd just leave it. Get it driving and see what happens. Yay!

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
nice job, Martin! if the brakes/clutch are good enough for a few trips around the hood that's what I'd do, next snow do a bunch of donuts & drift that little guy around the parking lots. A little run time could be all it takes to either work the kinks out, or make something worse... win/win?

Have your daughter take a vid of you guys taking it for a cruise.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Awesome, good news. def drive it for a while.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
nice job, Martin! if the brakes/clutch are good enough for a few trips around the hood that's what I'd do, next snow do a bunch of donuts & drift that little guy around the parking lots. A little run time could be all it takes to either work the kinks out, or make something worse... win/win?

Have your daughter take a vid of you guys taking it for a cruise.
I promise not another post to this thread until that happens. 🙂

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Well, I know I promised no more posts until I drove it, but it's taking a lot of work to get there... so I'm just going to post some updates as I chip away at it to keep a record and document stuff. Also been super cold and snowy, but it warmed up a bit this week. 25° today! :)

Working on getting the clutch and brakes operational. This is "next level" hard-to-find parts territory. Other than the clutch and brake master cylinders, which are old style fj40, and getting harder to find, everything else has required some serious hunting. I had a good single circuit brake master on the shelf. Everything else I'm rebuilding as the only parts I've found are seal kits from other Toyotas thatare cross compatible. Hopefully all of my cores are salvageable.

I had to make new firewall gaskets and a new brake line to the MC. Got those bolted on.

i-NCQztg6-L.jpg

i-crcNbhw-L.jpg

i-6xfqKNN-L.jpg

2 of the drums were seized on. I had been soaking them with penetrating oil and pounding on them every few days, but no dice. Finally bought a proper drum puller and popped those suckers off in seconds! With all the drum brake vehicles I've had, I can't believe I waited so long to buy this thing. :love:

i-v5J92Np-L.jpg
i-wnzL5kQ-L.jpg

Amazingly enough, I was able to get all of the wheel cylinder bleeders out. None of the banjo bolts or mounting bolts were seized (weeks of penetrating oil treatment). A few of the cylinders have seized adjusters and pistons but hoping to get everything torn down and honed out tomorrow.

i-7tffXLs-L.jpg

Right now all I am missing are seals for the upper rear wheel cylinder (the funky angled double piston one below). Anyone ever seen one like it? I've scoured ebay for days but the closest I could find was for a toyota forklift but it connects differently. I might get a couple just to cannibalize the seals.

i-fLDCpvR-L.jpg

I found a set of late 60's Toyota Crown brake shoes that look like they'll fit. Will post up comparrison when they get here. Also waiting on adjusters from an ebayer in Asia.

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I found a set of late 60's Toyota Crown brake shoes that look like they'll fit. Will post up comparrison when they get here. Also waiting on adjusters from an ebayer in Asia.
Its looking good and you have the patience to get it where it needs to be. You are right about the Crowns. From my research years ago, I determined the shoes were the same and actually got a NOS set for mine.

For the seals on the wheel cylinder, are you speaking of the little rubber piece around it or donut shaped rubber backer?
If it's the rear donut shaped one, I was able to find a compatible rubber plug at ace hardware, drilled a hole to the same diameter and popped it onto the end. Googling the material at the time confirmed it was compatible with DOT 3. I drove around for a year with this set up and it worked fine.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Its looking good and you have the patience to get it where it needs to be. You are right about the Crowns. From my research years ago, I determined the shoes were the same and actually got a NOS set for mine.

For the seals on the wheel cylinder, are you speaking of the little rubber piece around it or donut shaped rubber backer?
If it's the rear donut shaped one, I was able to find a compatible rubber plug at ace hardware, drilled a hole to the same diameter and popped it onto the end. Googling the material at the time confirmed it was compatible with DOT 3. I drove around for a year with this set up and it worked fine.

Missing both the outer boot and the inner donut shaped seal that goes on the piston.

Clever idea making your own! I might try that if I can't find a kit.

On those Crown shoes, did you look for a specific part number or year?