• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
So, the good news is that the manifold work helped the leaks and it started up fine and will run without the choke and itsnt overheating. However, it still won't idle unless its set high. The vacuum is only reading about 13. Without occasional revs, it stalls. Fuel delivery?

Should add that I have the timing advanced pretty far already trying to get the vacuum up.

Just re hash what's been done so far:

Fuel tank drained, clean fuel, new fuel filter
Rebuilt carb
fixed manifold leaks
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor
New points, gapped
Distributor taken apart and cleaned
Timing set (light but don't have rpm guage)
Valves adjusted
Compression and leak down tests ok

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Going to order a smarter timing light and see if that helps. In the meantime I might just pull the carb off again and fully disassemble it to check the idle passages again. I`m not as familiar with this Nikki carb as the Aisins on the cruisers. I'm confident there are no vacuum leaks and i've gone through everything I can think of short of removing the head to inspect valves. Stumped.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Sorry if I missed it earlier but have you checked compression lately? Done a leak down test?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Sorry if I missed it earlier but have you checked compression lately? Done a leak down test?
Yup:

Fuel tank drained, clean fuel, new fuel filter
Rebuilt carb
fixed manifold leaks
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor
New points, gapped
Distributor taken apart and cleaned
Timing set (light but don't have rpm guage)
Valves adjusted
Compression and leak down tests ok

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
My source 😎 says spray Aquanet on the intake manifold to seal the porous metal. He damn near guarantees it will fix your problems. He’s rebuilt many 3RB and C motors.
Thats a fix i've never heard of but will try it! Bald dude buying a can of hairspray should get some odd looks from the cashier. ;)

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Let it be known a bald guy made this suggestion. Balder than me. Make sure the engine is running when applying. 🤪

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Yup, the intake manifolds were notorious for being leaky under draw. Not at the gasket but throughout the manifold itself. Bill, I mean my source, says it was a very common problem.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I would set timing to factory spec to diagnose. Can you get a longer vid of what the vacuum guage is doing? When it's flickering is it a pattern? Is the needle steady when you give it fuel? After what you have done i'd lean toward leaking or burned valves.

I would spray starter fluid around intake and carb as well to make sure you still don't have a leak

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Before I pull the carb again, I'll reset the the timing to stock and get another video to show the vacuum (and spray the aquanet!). Idle rpm is supposed to be 550, but that's not possible right now. I can keep it hovering at about 800_1000 (guessing) if I just give a bit of hand throttle or choke, but it eventually will sputter out unless I nurse it and rev it. I have the fast idle screw about maxed and the air/fuel idle screw isn't having much effect.

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
To repeat, make sure to apply the hairspray while the engine is running. 👍👍

simps80

Rising Sun Member
All of that means vacuum leak unfortunately
Excited to see the hairspray outcome!!!

Keep at it! You’ll get it figured

wesintl

RS Moderator
Haha, def vacuum leak of some kind. I would def heed the word of Steve’s friend…

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Ya, Bill knows his chit for sure.