• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2 Wheel Drive content... nothing to see here

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Only thing I'm still looking for (for the brakes) are the 10mm banjo fittings. I might have a couple more 9mm pieces in my 40 stash if I can't find the 10mm that are compatible with the M11 banjo bolts.
Actually, still looking for dust seals for the rear adjusters. They are a weird size and shape. Have tried a bunch of different parts off ebay but no luck yet. Also, the brake shoes I got for a toyota crown are close, but will need some drilling and grinding to work, so brakes are taking forever. Had parts come in from Thailand, Cyprus, Japan, Indonesia and the US, but still stumped on the brakes. Frustrating to wait weeks for a part and find it doesn't fit! After measuring the parts I am going to try some VW seals. They are the correct dimensions and the shape looks right. Waiting on those now..

I did make some progress on the clutch system. The MC was in good shape but was dry because the slave was leaking. I took the master apart and cleaned it up. I luckily got a rebuild for the slave. It's really a weird unit, so I'm glad I could rebuild. It was seriously rusted on though. I've been hitting it with penetrating oil and I finally got the bolts to break free. Was really worried about snapping them off, would have had to pull the motor and Trans to drill and tap!

Here's the crusty slave cylinder. Yes, it uses the same, dreaded, 9mm fittings as the brakes! Had to remake the hard line. Luckily I had a few more 9mm fittings from my 40 brake parts.

i-rrSTW5L-L.jpg

Rebuild kit # for future reference

i-2qxcgxX-L.jpg

Gross! And leaky...

i-CQMhTRK-L.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for assembly.

i-f4vg8ZD-L.jpg

i-JtgFVkk-L.jpg

I got the kid to come out into the cold, damp, dark garage and help me bleed the system. Seems to be leak free and working! Hopefully the clutch plate is alright. Once the brakes are back together I should be able to take it for a test drive finally!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Here's the weird ass rear brake adjuster I got from Thailand. They're right/left. I got the right side.

The aisin dust cover is correct but the only place I found some was Russia and there's no way I'm sending my cc info over there!

i-Pqq2wgh-L.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
A lot of parts cleaning and prep today,, but I got the weird 22° bent rear wheel cylinders assembled and installed. Also got the mods done to make the Crown brake shoes fit. A little grinding, drilling and paint. Still waiting on seals for rear adjusters. Getting close!

i-cXNLL9Q-L.jpg

i-84w39K4-L.jpg

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
The aisin dust cover is correct but the only place I found some was Russia and there's no way I'm sending my cc info over there!
get a prepaid visa gift card if you need to. Then there is only the amount of money on it you need for an order.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Got the rear adjusters cleaned, painted, assembled. But still no dust seals.

i-v3NFrTk-L.jpg

I had noticed the front hubs seemed like they were weeping some wheel bearing grease and the right front didn't spin very smooth so decided to open them up (while I'm in there).

Front right bearing feels really rough after cleaning it out and the hubs are missing the grease seals! Glad I checked. 😝

i-hCX3wm3-L.jpg

Spindle looks nice. Mike the Stout guru from Cabe Toyota says seals are still available, bearings discontinued, but they are supposed to be the same up to '78 for 2wd pickups, so should be able to find aftermarket. More parts incoming!

i-hXGQH2C-XL.jpg

NSK bearings were stock? and whoever put them in skipped the seals.

i-MW2Jx2b-L.jpg

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I think somebody got their wires crossed buddy. :)

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It looks like your speedo is reading your RPMs rather than your speed. Unless you really got up to 80 mph that fast?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Ahh! 😄 Its still on jackstands! This is as fast as she'll ever go with the 3RB.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
:hill: Bro, I thought you were driving it! LOL

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
For reference, anyone crazy enough to restore a stout:

Front wheel bearings and seal part numbers:

90368-31005 front inner bearing - KOYO 15245 15123

90368-19004 front outer bearing - KOYO 09067 09195

90311-50136 oil/grease seal for hub

HDavis

Hard Core 4+

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Cool. My Dad’s ‘61 Buick Electra had a similar speedo display. You just gave me a flashback, Martin. Thanks! 😁

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I found this NOS OEM carb insulator on ebay Thailand. Thought it might help the low vacuum, but no change. Still pretty cool though. The insulator that was on it was pretty crusty and this new one has the heat shield.

i-qRxdjKP-L.jpg

I'm waiting on the front wheel bearings to come in the mail so I spent part of the day messing around with electrical. If you recall, I got this NOS fuse box which is the same as early fj40. It was super nice and even had the oem fuses so I decided to put it in the fj40. The one in the 40 was really nicentoo, so I swapped it into the Stout and cleaned up all the connections.

My headlights work now!

i-4VL2h3x-L.jpg

i-xHmBRN2-L.jpg

i-bSRJ7bZ-L.jpg

Turn signals are still not working properly, but I think the rear harness is cut up for a trailer harness, so building a new rear harness is on the to do list.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Fantastic work Martin!!!
Thanks Marco, i feel like i'm making some progress now that the temps are back to slightly above freezing! (Also means work starts to get busy. )

I feel like I'm just a few days away from a first drive in this thing! 😉