1FZ-FTE build

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
How does forged pistons cause piston slap?
As I understand it they expand more so you have to undersize them more with respect to bore compared to OEM.
Yeah piston to cylinder clearance is for sure something you talk to the mfg of the piston about.
Why would a forged piston expand any more than a cast? Shouldn't the coefficients of expansion be essentially the same, at least ignoring exotic alloys? Or is there something in processes, e.g. forging compared to casting yields a different geometry which expands differently?

Could it have more to do with aftermarket pistons tending to fit more vehicles compared to an OEM piston designed to be used in one or at most small number of similarly designed engines. So it's behavior is better defined and known, thus they know the lower tolerance necessary to prevent the piston from seizing in the bore?

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
Why would a forged piston expand any more than a cast? Shouldn't the coefficients of expansion be essentially the same, at least ignoring exotic alloys? Or is there something in processes, e.g. forging compared to casting yields a different geometry which expands differently?

Could it have more to do with aftermarket pistons tending to fit more vehicles compared to an OEM piston designed to be used in one or at most small number of similarly designed engines. So it's behavior is better defined and known, thus they know the lower tolerance necessary to prevent the piston from seizing in the bore?
I had to look it up real quick. Apparently aftermarket forged Pistons have different alloy mixtures depending on the manufacturer and so the bore has to be planned accordingly. But I've read very little into it.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Little update. Block and head are at the machine shop. Will be bored .5mm over and OEM pistons to match as mentioned before. Head passed the vacuum test. Deck and head just need minimal machining to clean up the HG surfaces. Despite a kind of scary looking radiator cap there does not seem to be any coolant passage issues. Crank is still within spec.

Ordering a OEM gasket/bearing kits on Monday. Will be doing ARP head studs and probably a Cometic HG.

KScott79

Brand New
Little update. Block and head are at the machine shop. Will be bored .5mm over and OEM pistons to match as mentioned before. Head passed the vacuum test. Deck and head just need minimal machining to clean up the HG surfaces. Despite a kind of scary looking radiator cap there does not seem to be any coolant passage issues. Crank is still within spec.

Ordering a OEM gasket/bearing kits on Monday. Will be doing ARP head studs and probably a Cometic HG.

Hello, I just came across this thread so I wanted to say hello. I picked up my 80 from Bill a couple of weeks ago after having almost the same rebuild done as you, mine is the white LX450 in the background of you engine removal pic. I went 100% OEM including 0.5mm oversize stock pistons since 130K+ miles of being supercharged didn't seem to cause any noticeable abnormal wear on the internals. He mentioned the intercooler project and said it was being designed to work with both the turbo and SC? I would love to hear more about it and what it would take to get it on my SC'd 1FZ since it has always ran a little hotter than I would like. I'm in CA so being CARB compliant is an issue, hopefully I can add an inter-cooler and still be compliant?
Kevin

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I’m familiar with your truck and saw the original internals upon removal. It definitely was part of my decision process.

I can’t really speak for the intercooler project as that is all Wits’s End. I know he does not have a timeline on it at this time. I only know it’s on the list, will be water/air and is planned to sit on top of the engine. He also posted some meth injection stuff on Facebook a while back. That is another option and easier as you could probably just get a snow performance universal kit and plumb it into the intake somewhere.

No idea what it may or may not do for CARB on either system.

My block is currently at the machine shop getting bored .5mm over. OEM pistons have arrived as well as a full gasket kit. Valve springs are out of stock and showing October arrival from Japan. I need to get ARP head studs sourced and a HG.

KScott79

Brand New
I’m familiar with your truck and saw the original internals upon removal. It definitely was part of my decision process.

I can’t really speak for the intercooler project as that is all Wits’s End. I know he does not have a timeline on it at this time. I only know it’s on the list, will be water/air and is planned to sit on top of the engine. He also posted some meth injection stuff on Facebook a while back. That is another option and easier as you could probably just get a snow performance universal kit and plumb it into the intake somewhere.

No idea what it may or may not do for CARB on either system.

My block is currently at the machine shop getting bored .5mm over. OEM pistons have arrived as well as a full gasket kit. Valve springs are out of stock and showing October arrival from Japan. I need to get ARP head studs sourced and a HG.

Oh ok, sorry, I got the impression you were part of the project. Thanks for the info, I will contact them.
Glad to hear you were able to locate the pistons, sounds like they are hard to find right now. Sucks about the valve springs though, my rebuild was held up by them as well. Also waited 7 weeks for a re-manufactured transmission from Toyota that never shipped and was subsequently discontinued so I didn't get a fully new powertrain but I have about 600 miles on the engine now and it is smooth as could be with the original trans. I am very happy with Bill's work and excellent communication, definitely worth the 1600 mile round trip and giant hole in my bank account! I took him my '74 FJ40 and trailered the 80 back home so I could finish breaking it in here and am looking forward to my first trip with it later this summer.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
No, turbo is all Joey's project. I'm just part of the initial order group. As he purchased my Barrier designs we are in pretty close communication.

I too planned on getting a reman trans but will have to roll with my current. Plan to add a TransGo shift kit. I have a spare transmission if something goes to hell.

coax

Hard Core 4+
No, turbo is all Joey's project. I'm just part of the initial order group. As he purchased my Barrier designs we are in pretty close communication.

I too planned on getting a reman trans but will have to roll with my current. Plan to add a TransGo shift kit. I have a spare transmission if something goes to hell.

I haven't fully given up on the 5spd either.... I need to get my whole driveline pulled out and a a750f sitting side by side but I'm probably a few months out on that. I think if the torque converter can be adapted to the 1fz flexplate (no idea on the measurements there) that a custom steel bellhousing could be fabricated without too much trouble. (Would probably add 50lbs to the 188lbs of the a343/a750f...but still comes in 50 lbs under an a442f) The xfer case if pulled from a 100 series should be the correct drop and then its a matter of all the control/electronics/etc. Dreams...

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
More parts arriving.

3CA2E169-8D55-4718-94E2-B7E9BA2D3E74.jpeg

rover67

Rising Sun Member
what compression ratio are you shooting for?

coax

Hard Core 4+
Which ARP stud kit did you go with? Seems like some use the supra, opal, and the 1fz kit...with varying results and fitments if the internet can be believed :D I suspect I'll have to go that route with a cometic HG to make up some head milling height.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
what compression ratio are you shooting for?

Stock

Which ARP stud kit did you go with? Seems like some use the supra, opal, and the 1fz kit...with varying results and fitments if the internet can be believed :D I suspect I'll have to go that route with a cometic HG to make up some head milling height.

Supra stud kit. It was $50 less than the Opal one. Both require trimming a couple studs from what I gather. Not aware of an actual 1FZ kit from ARP.

I got the 0.066” Cometic HG. Total removed from my head/deck was 0.027”. OEM HG measured 0.060” before compression. We are assuming 0.020” compression there. The Cometic HG is a “compressed” measurement.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Also, this thread needs more pictures. I want to see:

pictures of turbo with tons of cool bits associated with it's install, pictures of the engine tore down, pictures of things like cylinder bores and packages of fresh bearings from toyota, pictures of pistons, pictures of oil pans being cut into and welded, pictures of your scribble sheet where you are calculating compression ratios with a spilled beer, etc.

C'mon Corbet.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
AHAHAHAHAHHAHHHHAAAA :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I literally types that and hit enter and saw that last post from you, thanks!