1FZ-FTE build

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Fully disassembled and headed to the machine shop. Ordered some OEM pistons. Decided the advantages of forged would not out weigh the disadvantages.

Old one. Rings shot. Important parts of the engine are visually good. Going to vacuum test the head and block.

60D53BF5-3098-4F65-A003-F13A8FD5C3BC.jpeg

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
When you say noise, is it piston slap or something else?

It doesn't seem like anyone is finding issues with turbos running lower boost on stock engines. At ~7.5 psi, that will be a pretty low boost target.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Piston slap. There are those coating the skirts to prevent wear. Doesn’t seem like there is much you can do for the rings as the piston rocks slightly. My builder was super worried about it until he pulled a super charged engine apart and after 100K the pistons were fine. Same for others I checked with with Turbo. So I’m sticking to OEM.

mosdefjeff

Trail Ready
I read somewhere that there's a manufacturer making pistons with Teflon inserts in the skirts. I was wondering what the necessity was.

coax

Hard Core 4+
Noise and reduced ring life.

Good info! I've only just started researching pistons and what other parts...though I've got a while as I expect my rebuild will take 6 months. Was considering Forged Pistons but the cost seems pretty comparible to OEM so may just go that route (though probably with a +1) since I doubt I'll ever rebuild again.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Was considering Forged Pistons but the cost seems pretty comparible to OEM so may just go that route (though probably with a +1) since I doubt I'll ever rebuild again.

With the price of OEM it’s easy to get excited about forged as they are probably cheaper.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Did you guys call up somebody like JE and see what their recommendations were and how much it’d cost?

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Did you guys call up somebody like JE and see what their recommendations were and how much it’d cost?

That was my next step but didn't get that far based on machine shop recommendation and some first hand experience advise (though may have not been with JE specifically). If someone decides on forged they need to ask the supplier of the pistons what clearances are required for the pistons and not assume its same as OEM.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah piston to cylinder clearance is for sure something you talk to the mfg of the piston about. I was mainly asking because maybe there's a better than OEM option that takes a more standard clearance that might be more economical. I'm also not sure what OEM pistons cost or have any experience on their robustness/reliability. It seems like they are fine from what you're saying. I assume the Pistons that came out of that motor are no good? Do they have a lot of scuffing on the skirts? How do the bores look are you going to over bore it? One reason to go with aftermarket Pistons would be if OEM ones don't come in a larger size though that may not be an issue here. Also having an engine builder with experience in these motors
T, particularly boosted, probably trumps any advice I could give I'm mainly just curious. That experience alone is worth a ton, you're lucky you've got him. What rings does he prefer? We've used total seal rings on turbo motors with reasonable success but we've also never thought about making anything last over say 30k miles... Also I assume stock compression ratios and cc everything to verify? An over bore will affect that of course and is changed with Pistons. Fancy head gasket or OEM?

coax

Hard Core 4+
Yeah piston to cylinder clearance is for sure something you talk to the mfg of the piston about. I was mainly asking because maybe there's a better than OEM option that takes a more standard clearance that might be more economical. I'm also not sure what OEM pistons cost or have any experience on their robustness/reliability. It seems like they are fine from what you're saying. I assume the Pistons that came out of that motor are no good? Do they have a lot of scuffing on the skirts? How do the bores look are you going to over bore it? One reason to go with aftermarket Pistons would be if OEM ones don't come in a larger size though that may not be an issue here. Also having an engine builder with experience in these motors
T, particularly boosted, probably trumps any advice I could give I'm mainly just curious. That experience alone is worth a ton, you're lucky you've got him. What rings does he prefer? We've used total seal rings on turbo motors with reasonable success but we've also never thought about making anything last over say 30k miles... Also I assume stock compression ratios and cc everything to verify? An over bore will affect that of course and is changed with Pistons. Fancy head gasket or OEM?

All this info is super handy for me as I start looking to rebuild as well. To one of your questions, the OEM pistons are available standard size, as well as +.5 and +1. Retail seems spendy at about 110 each...but have found some OE in the area of 60 each. At that cost (with a OE ring set at 250) I'm leaning towards Toyota parts vs. forged aftermarket....with the reasons you both included helping make my decision (possible sizing issues with piston to bore that may throw some machine shops for a loop.

Great thread!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Seems like these engines can take quite a bit of boost on stock components. Isn't scottryana boosting in the mid-teens on stock head gasket and engine components?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Rings and pistons are shot in my rebuild motor. Will be over boring.

As Corey mentioned, Toyota has oversized pistons, and I'll be using OEM rings as builder really likes them over others he has used.

Looking into fancy head gaskets now and plan on ARP head studs at this time.

Everything else is planned to be OEM for block/head internals.

I can't speak for Scottryana's internals but Aussie's are running boost on OEM pistons at that pressure without failures.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I want one.