What have you done to your rig today?

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member

On the RX

Rising Sun Member

J1000

Rising Sun Member
So you ended up using the DT headers?
Yeah, unfortunately the Aussie one's don't fit. They interfere with the steering shaft which is probably to be expected.
What did you end up doing with those air injection port thing-a-mobobs?
0ae06ww.jpg

e7JtzIy.jpg

kTQCJjQ.jpg

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, unfortunately the Aussie one's don't fit. They interfere with the steering shaft which is probably to be expected.

0ae06ww.jpg

e7JtzIy.jpg

kTQCJjQ.jpg
Was this done for power gains or to address an exhaust manifold leak? Did the studs fight you, any tricks? My manifold is tapping this year in the cold weather. Considering just paying to have this job done.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Finally had enough of my 4x4 labs tire carrier tire attachment shaking on the concrete sections of 25 and stuck this section onto the swingarm. Think it should stiffen it up by transferring more torsion into the spindle than it currently does - cutting down on the bouncing. Hope it works because my tire carrier isn't coming off without a cutoff wheel now.

The wind was really blowing and my welds look like an MMA fighters face after a bad fight but the metal stuck.
PXL_20211113_212547660.jpg

PXL_20211113_212530681.jpg

Hit it one pass with the grinder and slapping paint on it now.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Was this done for power gains or to address an exhaust manifold leak? Did the studs fight you, any tricks? My manifold is tapping this year in the cold weather. Considering just paying to have this job done.
Yes I did it for power and because mine were leaking real bad. The new headers are so much quieter and definitely more power. I didn't strip anything. get a 14mm flexi ratcheting wrench and loosen the motor mounts so you can get the engine up high. Exhaust Pros in Northglenn reportedly will install DT headers on a 100 series for $600-700 or something like that. Totally worth it IMO this job was a serious PITA.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Finally had enough of my 4x4 labs tire carrier tire attachment shaking on the concrete sections of 25 and stuck this section onto the swingarm. Think it should stiffen it up by transferring more torsion into the spindle than it currently does - cutting down on the bouncing. Hope it works because my tire carrier isn't coming off without a cutoff wheel now.

The wind was really blowing and my welds look like an MMA fighters face after a bad fight but the metal stuck.
View attachment 99767
View attachment 99768
Hit it one pass with the grinder and slapping paint on it now.

did that make any difference? And have you ever changed out the spindle bearings?

I home built mine but modeled it after the 4x4 design just didn’t want to pay for his. After a bearing swap mine was 100% better.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
did that make any difference? And have you ever changed out the spindle bearings?

I home built mine but modeled it after the 4x4 design just didn’t want to pay for his. After a bearing swap mine was 100% better.
My spindle bearings seem nice and tight, I haven't seen any play in the ones I got from 4x4 labs at all but maybe I don't understand what you mean? The movement I have is in the torsion of the 2x2 box tubing (they really should use 3x2) on the swingarm to prevent this, and some movement in the bumper frame itself from having the weight out hanging on that one arm. I'm hopeful this helps, I just need to cut the torsion down a little bit to keep it from building on itself as it continues bouncing.

Will report back after I get it out on the open road! Primer set this afternoon and am repainting tomorrow.

@J1000 thanks for the heads up on the headers and the pointers! What's your verdict on the DTs so far? Any concerns about emissions?

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
The brace tubing worked! It's a lot stiffer and the bouncing is gone. I still get a very small amount of movement on big bumps but nothing noticeable now. Really pleased. I understand now why 4x4 labs puts the hi lift tabs here as that probably stiffens it up a lot.

PXL_20211114_231115830.jpg

Last edited:

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Not mine, but worked on my neighbors 98 4runner. Doing a the timing belt kit, rad, coolant flush, ac condenser, and trans pan drain and refill. Pretty straight forward but I'm surprised to be saying I prefer the 2UZ t-belt to this model. That AC compressor and bracket blocking good access is dumb. I know you can snake a wrench up from beneath but not when the last guy rounded off the tensioner bolts 😐

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Well not today, but last week, just in time to head to work for a week+.

Nancy's GX470 got all kinds of new stuff! Ironman4x4 Foam Cell Pro suspension (worked out to be a 3" lift) that deleted the airbags in the rear. Just because it has 250K I also replaced the lower control arms, TREs, sway bar end links, new brakes (rotors and pads all around) and put on CVJ CV axles (for a mild lift).

Yeah, like Onur I left some tags on there. ;)
IMG_3814.jpeg
IMG_3813.jpeg

Also installed RAD Rubber to replace the long gone factory splash guards.
IMG_3816.jpeg

In the end, it was a 3" lift, over the "high" setting of the AHC. Rides much better now, IMHO. Sorry for the crappy picture, it was after dark before I decided to get a picture of it on the street.
IMG_3818.jpeg

The Ironman bumper was missing some stuff, so once that comes in it gets a bumper, and the sliders might be ready to install next week too--if it's warm enough for Nancy to paint them). And the stock wheels are waiting for her to strip them, so that they can also be repainted--then it gets new tires too.

Dan

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I swapped out the MAF for the Lanktank MAF kit on my 80. Why didnt someone tell me about this sooner? The 80 actually feels like a normal vehicle now. It accelerates from a stop like it should now.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Finished neighbors 4runner timing belt kit, radiator, AC condenser, alternator, and fan bracket assembly along with two flushes with distilled water to make sure we had all the green coolant a shop put in it out, and the Toyota stuff in. Once they returned the off brand stuff and we switched over to Aisin and Denso parts the job went flawlessly.

Around 170k and 11 years since the last timing belt job. The idler and tensioner pulleys were making noise and free spinning but holding up. The belt was cracking and there was a very small hint of coolant at the water pump weep hole but everything was still working. 290k on the vehicle, some oil pan leakage but I'll be damned if that motor doesn't sound exactly like a new Toyota on the lot. Amazing stuff.

On the land cruiser I got a YotaMD key housing and transferred my keyfob and key to it. So satisfying and a super nice product.
PXL_20211129_032204372.jpg

Last edited:

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I swapped out the MAF for the Lanktank MAF kit on my 80. Why didnt someone tell me about this sooner? The 80 actually feels like a normal vehicle now. It accelerates from a stop like it should now.

That much of a difference? I've always been curious.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
That much of a difference? I've always been curious.
Surprisingly, yes. I mean, she is still slow, but she has a LOT more pep than she had before. It reminds me of how in my Tundra I had a Pedal Commander and how it didn't make it faster, but it made it accelerate so much better.

Example: I didn't have to floor it to get over the hill on Alameda to get over the hill at Green Mountain.

PhillyB77

Windows tinted to 5% ceramic. Probably not legal but meh. My truck is the same way.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
E4DDEB4C-1287-4D23-882C-C5958AEAB3CA.jpeg
Redid the battery terminals and cleaned up the wiring to the battery.