• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

What have you done to your rig today?

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Call me crazy, but I always set preload by feel.

Its like when Amber asks me how I know when a steak is done. "You just know".

Doing stuff by feel is underrated
You just kinda know 😉

Not sure about bearing preload n stuff but generally it’s good life advice I agree

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Just hooked up a BT adapter for Aux input on older head unit (idea from @DomOfTheDead)
and a new IAC (hope it helps!)

Ann

Rising Sun Member
Replaced my nasty, old and problematic start battery terminals with new ones. First item completed on the CM prep list!

Attachments

• 200 Terminals Before.jpg
    200 Terminals Before.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • Terminals After.jpg
    Terminals After.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Well, new WARN winch installed, them floating square nuts drove me bonkers for a bit and it took me a bit longer than anticipated as result.

Attachments

• IMG_9005.jpeg
    IMG_9005.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9009.jpeg
    IMG_9009.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9014.jpeg
    IMG_9014.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Well, new WARN winch installed, them floating square nuts drove me bonkers for a bit and it took me a bit longer than anticipated as result.
I ❤️ warm wenches

mikedrom

Rising Sun Member
IMG_1610.jpeg
IMG_1609.jpeg

1. Finally reattached my front flares after pulling them off for the 3 link like 3 years ago.

2. Attempted to lap these pitted valves from the L92, but ended up ordering new ones instead. Nothing more expensive than a cheap LS swap!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Pro tip 1: true, but if you plan to use any kind scale to measure preload, you gotta get the brake out of the equation. But if you're just bumping it 1/4 turn turn then slapping it back on the ground, yes.

I used a torque wrench but didn't measure preload. Probably need to buy a fish scale at some point.

Pro top 2: Did you try inserting an M8 bolt into the end of the shaft, then pulling it out?

That would have been a good thing to know! It would have saved me from removing the drive flange a second time.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I was at that WBPP too, as were Steve Crase, Mark Sobczak, Bruce Minney, and Rob Meredith.

I was there...

I was sure that y'all were there plus other guys who I now know, but it was my first RS event and I was a little overwhelmed with meeting new people. I think Jim Toepper was there as well.

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Not my ride but my nephew's. He called asking if I could fix his brakes. He stated they made some noise and that the steering wheel would shake some when stopping. He stated everything was fine until he was headed home from school that day. So I told him to bring it by and we would check it out. I figured he had just let them go to long and it would need pads and the rotors turned (possibly replaced if really warped).

Once I got it up on the lift and torn apart I realized it was much worse. A caliper mounting bolt was completely missing and the caliper had been pivoting on the other mounting bolt and was being stopped by the wheel. It had worn the caliper and the wheel down quite a bit. Scary stuff!

20240323_161742.jpg

20240323_161803.jpg

20240323_161748.jpg

20240324_173908.jpg

20240324_173922.jpg

So I removed the caliper and checked for any other damage. Then ordered in the replacement parts and got it all put back together.

Here is the new verses old caliper for reference:

20240324_173946.jpg

20240324_174032.jpg

Guess Brakes Plus touched the brakes last. But that was over a year ago. So not sure what caused it to back out now? Unless it was never put back in and it now was able to actually rotate, but that seems unlikely...

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Wow. I bet that made a fantastic noise.

Are you planning to replace the wheels as well? I wonder how it will impact balance if material has been shaved off.

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Wow. I bet that made a fantastic noise.

Are you planning to replace the wheels as well? I wonder how it will impact balance if material has been shaved off.
The wheel still looks to be structurally sound (not missing much material actually) and it balanced out great. So it is staying for now. Even the old caliper is still functional but needs new retaining clips.

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
hybrid disc/drum brake design. Can't imagine the noise.
Ever been in a car who's brakes went metal to metal? That is what it reminded me of as I drove it into the shop. Litterally no noise or vibration in reverse. But braking while going forward produced the sound and a decent vibration. The caliper could only pivot up about a 1/2". There is not much room between the wheel and the caliper. Really surprised there isn't more damage, or wasn't a bigger failure. This is the front passenger tire of a top heavy suv...

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
I had this happen on an 80 series once many years ago that a brake shop had serviced. That is why unless it is a computer issue on a newer rig, no one else works on my rigs. Too many unqualified "mechanics" out there these days.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I had this happen on an 80 series once many years ago that a brake shop had serviced. That is why unless it is a computer issue on a newer rig, no one else works on my rigs. Too many unqualified "mechanics" out there these days.

I'm with you Mike. When I was young and broke I did my own work because I couldn't afford to put it in a shop. As I got older and made more money, I figured my time is valuable, right? It didn't take too long to pull stuff back in-house for quality control.

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Again, last time the brakes had been touched was over a year ago. So not sure any liability or blame lies with those techs.

I usually handle the repairs and maintenance for him, but I have been so busy the past few years that he said he didn't want to bother me and he and his mom took it in. Guessing he won't worry about bothering me from now on.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Oil change on the 80..