• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

What have you done to your rig today?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I've seen several shackle reversals on 40s but never one on a 60 before. And yeah, working on your back is WORK.
The shackle reversal takes some dialing in but works great when you get there. The “kit” that’s available for sale is probably not worth it since right off the bat the springs are wrong - they all need to be 1-2” longer. It’s also easier on 85+ 60s with the front drive shaft that has a single u-joint at the top & bottom. On the early trucks with a double cardan at the top, the driveshaft wants the pinion in line with the shaft, which is the opposite tilt you want for good caster. So either cut & turn the front axle housing, or get a later driveshaft and notch the crossmember.

Overall it drives and tracks great, is much more comfortable on the road, and flexes like crazy on the trail. Plenty of room for 35s if you wanted to go nuts regearing or engine swapping. The extra ground clearance makes getting a transmission out easier too! 🤣

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Keep wrenching on that old iron Jim. Can't wait to see your build thread.

mikedrom

Rising Sun Member
New wheel/tire day!

IMG_1586.jpeg

IMG_1584.jpeg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Drove her home. Lots of new sounds and smells. Only issue is the bolts holding the front driveshaft onto the transfer case flange graze the new transmission mount. I’ve only rotated it by hand thus far and it hits resistance on every bolt head. I haven’t checked but the aftermarket mount is probably different than the Toyota one. I’ll probably notch the “ear” of the mount for clearance.

B99CFACD-DF44-4B6C-A9FE-02A5543DB902.jpeg

DC75E1B3-1564-47CC-9B12-493BD94B360E.jpeg

Skid pan will stay off for a day or two to monitor the situation. After that it’s on to my puking steering box and getting my spare block to Gunn.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
IMG_0767.jpeg
IMG_0768.jpeg
Mounting new BFG KM3’s. I’m getting to old for this shit.
2 done. Third in process,

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So for some reason the PO of my 80s put non-winch bumpers on both of them. A few years ago I got a winch bumper for the green 80 off Craigslist. Fixed it up a bit and painted it. Unfortunately it got pretty bent up in the accident but still functions just fine. So it will stay for a while longer.

A little bit ago I found a winch bumper for the white 80 on Craigslist too. It needed some rust treatment, which I was putting off, not wanting to do. But finally dug into it. Once done it will carry the $200 M12000.

Sometime in the future I will get another winch bumper so the green 80 will be able to have a straight bumper once again, but right now I’d rather both 80s be carrying warm wenches.

IMG_1709.jpeg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Retorqued the front wheel bearings today in advance of Cruise Moab. You might say I had my own private Wheel Bearing Packing Party, which used to be an annual RS event back when most members had FJ40s and 60s.

Pro tip 1: you don't need to remove the brake calipers to retorque wheel bearings.

Pro tip 2: make sure you have the C-clip on the axle shaft before putting the cone washers, flat washers, and nuts on the drive flange and tightening it all up. Otherwise you will have to take everything apart a second time to get the axle shaft pulled out enough to get the C-clip on there.

Side note: my very first event with the Rising Sun was in 2000 at the Wheel Bearing Packing Party at The Toy Doctor in Littleton. I remember meeting @Cheeseman and @arthog. I think it was @arthog's first RS event too, but he was a far more experienced wheeler than me. I was in awe of his FJ55 (and still am).

I'm hoping the wheel bearing re-torquing will solve my downhill braking shudder. I have already replaced most of the front end parts.

IMG_2635.jpeg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Retorqued the front wheel bearings today in advance of Cruise Moab. You might say I had my own private Wheel Bearing Packing Party, which used to be an annual RS event back when most members had FJ40s and 60s.

Pro tip 1: you don't need to remove the brake calipers to retorque wheel bearings.

Pro tip 2: make sure you have the C-clip on the axle shaft before putting the cone washers, flat washers, and nuts on the drive flange and tightening it all up. Otherwise you will have to take everything apart a second time to get the axle shaft pulled out enough to get the C-clip on there.

Side note: my very first event with the Rising Sun was in 2000 at the Wheel Bearing Packing Party at The Toy Doctor in Littleton. I remember meeting @Cheeseman and @arthog. I think it was @arthog's first RS event too, but he was a far more experienced wheeler than me. I was in awe of his FJ55 (and still am).

I'm hoping the wheel bearing re-torquing will solve my downhill braking shudder. I have already replaced most of the front end parts.
Wait, what?

Pro tip 1: true, but if you plan to use any kind scale to measure preload, you gotta get the brake out of the equation. But if you're just bumping it 1/4 turn turn then slapping it back on the ground, yes.

Pro top 2: Did you try inserting an M8 bolt into the end of the shaft, then pulling it out? And actually I'm trying to vision just how you'd put the C-clip on any time but last... unless you're slipping the drive flange over it prior to even sliding the axle back in. But if you're just tightening the bearing then you didn't even take the spindle off. :confused:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

I was at that WBPP too, as were Steve Crase, Mark Sobczak, Bruce Minney, and Rob Meredith.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Wait, what?

Pro tip 1: true, but if you plan to use any kind scale to measure preload, you gotta get the brake out of the equation. But if you're just bumping it 1/4 turn turn then slapping it back on the ground, yes.

Pro top 2: Did you try inserting an M8 bolt into the end of the shaft, then pulling it out? And actually I'm trying to vision just how you'd put the C-clip on any time but last... unless you're slipping the drive flange over it prior to even sliding the axle back in. But if you're just tightening the bearing then you didn't even take the spindle off. :confused:
Call me crazy, but I always set preload by feel.

Its like when Amber asks me how I know when a steak is done. "You just know".

100% on pro tip 2. Even then I still swear a bit every time I deal with those damn c clips.