What have you done to your rig today?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
That old condenser looks to be completely packed with dirt. :oops:
Not at all. Completely clear. Pretty amazing for 31 years.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Alright I'm running out of ideas on this broken bolt. The extractor broke off in there and it's thoroughly stuck. I tried taking a center punch to shatter it out but it's harder than my punch set and is just deforming that. Tried drilling and nothing. Tried taking another one of my extractors and nothing, can't get it drilled far enough to bite. Anyone have some genius ideas short of welding on a nut?
IMG_20231003_201959347.jpg

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
@rushthezeppelin , my suggestion is to puddle weld a fender washer to it then tack a nut on the washer. The heat from the puddle will heat up the bolt and it will contract when it cools hopefully breaking the bond in the threads. Then after it is cool, put a wrench on it and slowly work back and forth. You could also get some carbide bits and drill it out starting off small and working up to a larger diameter.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Installed extended handbrake dog bones. At $18 on Amazon, worth a try.

80 parking brake never stays adjusted.

These 1/8" longer dogbone gets the top closer to the drum. I smoothed all the edges of the new part and then the old spring slid right over. Then I cleaned and painted.

Right away I noticed 1) it takes only three adjuster detents to go from tight to free-spin, 2) the cable nuts at the handle needed to take up very little slack to get to 6-7 clicks was tight, and 3) handle feels firmer. Only time will tell.

Parking Brake XL dogbones.jpg

IMG_2846.jpgIMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2851.jpgIMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2845.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Didn't think of using a Dremel grinding tip. I have that and will give it a shot.
It made a little progress but seems the grinding stones were getting clogged and stopped working (also broke a few using to much pressure). Got someone who's going to weld a nut in this weekend
IMG_20231004_172038980_HDR.jpg

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Finally got the resonator delete done on the LX570. Looks and sounds much better, heck it even has a little more power. I kinda crushed the tip in Moab... :rolleyes:

I'll post a pic soon, but House of Mufflers and Brakes (Evans and I-25) did a great job, $140 out the door, took a couple of hours with no appointment.PXL_20231009_175725071.jpgPXL_20231009_175735340.jpg

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Brakes update: bedded in the new hawk LTS pads today. For the first time in a long time I can lock up tires.

Yesterday, @damon and I got our 2 hour 140a alternator install into my truck completed in just about 8 hours. @baileyfj40 hung out with us, and leant a hand for a few hours. @mcgaskins stopped by for a visit. Although it took so much time that we weren’t able to start, Damon‘s truck yet, a great day was had by all. despite me unintentionally doing some 12 V welding by hooking the main block ground to the positive. Briefly, I’m happy to report. Everything is working fine.

I just now replaced an exhaust gasket. I think it was ready for replacement. This was a rare job that went smoothly. I even had big 10.9 bolts on hand to replace the ones that came out. Every penny, I spent on the half inch Milwaukee impact was worth it for this one job. If you don’t have a half inch Milwaukee impact start looking for deals and plan to buy one over the holidays. Lots of times there’s great sales. I got mine for 50% off last year.
IMG_2895.jpeg

Next up: oil change

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Got a 4xInnovations bumper in yesterday. Got a lot of work stacking up on my now between this and the elocker that's going in soon. Will be worth it in the end, I'll have most of the mods I really want on the truck done (just sliders and rear bumper will be left).
IMG_20231007_130002310.jpg

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Spent Saturday freshening up some birf soup. We made a mess in @DomOfTheDead's driveway.
LSZN1515.JPEG

Got some custom exhaust work done after years of pinching my exhaust tip. (Heh heh... Exhaust tip.)
IMG_2743.JPG

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Gas tank skid. The new rack and pinion came with two bushings installed. The old ones lasted 20+ years. On a side note, I have whiteline steering rack bushings that are gently used, highway miles only (seriously!) And are only a couple months old. I also have the passenger oem bushing for the c clamp still in the package. I also have a heavily used, adjustable panhard bar from Sonoran Steel. One of the mounts is slightly oval. Steve (Sonoran Steel) can make you a new one that will screw in to the body of the bar. It will also need new bushings which Steve has in stock. Let me know if anyone is interested!

One last thing, does anyone else always have left over hardware after working on their truck for several months?
20231008_205132.jpg

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Very nice, did you go poly bushings on the new rack or just stick with OEM rubber? Also why clearance issues were you having with a drive shaft and a skid? Are you talking about the gas tank skid?
The balancing weight liked to bump ugliest with the tank skid. The ujoint actually sheared off the bolt infron of the bolt seen in the photo. Seems stout enough without the second bolt, so it was not replaced.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
The balancing weight liked to bump ugliest with the tank skid. The ujoint actually sheared off the bolt infron of the bolt seen in the photo. Seems stout enough without the second bolt, so it was not replaced.
Interesting, most seem to have issues with that skid and the grease zirk (which usually ends with the zerk losing lol). I've been lucky and haven't had a single issue with mine yet. I wonder if the PCK actually makes this more likely to occur.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Went to change my oil today and had a nice surprise
IMG_20231012_184839842.jpg
IMG_20231012_184919085_HDR.jpg

Hard to tell in the photos but some nice shiny oil coming out of my valve cover gasket, not much but enough where I was on the low dot on my dipstick, explains why I've been smelling burning oil a bit the last few weeks. Set my torque wrench to 53in lbs and man were those bolts loose. Almost felt like they were barely more than finger tight with my little in lb wrench. Hopefully this solves it, valve cover gasket job on this takes a while and I would want to check my valve lash while I'm in there.