• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Triple Bypass Run 2022

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Ross, if a way can be ironed out to get the club trailer to the rally that Saturday I'd like to be on the trip.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've always wanted to do this. Please put me on the list.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Been, debating with myself whether to go Recovery training vs. this. Trails will win every time. Please put me down for this run, rig and me ready plus the fact I love all the RS runs I've ever been to. Such a great group of folks.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m in, please add me. Also I have an open passenger seat in my 80.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
You can remove tentative off my name. I am in. Rachel is only tentative because as a Nurse she doesn't know her schedule this far out, but will put in for those days off and just needs to make sure it gets incorporated.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Put me on the list please

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
I will look to be there. As this an unofficial dedication run to Bruce, I may abstain from the actual run, but was thinking on being there at Dorchester CG for the end of the run with cold ones and food, potentially for all involved.
does this mean a memorial "bruce's beer" ?

Herring

Rising Sun Member
Hello all. My name is Ross Miller, I am Bruce and Barbara Miller's younger son. My family have been members and supporters of Rising Sun for over 25 years. You my or may not know, my father passed away early this year from a long fought battle with Parkinson's Disease.

In about 1998 while out camping and exploring our family came up with the idea for running 3 high mountain passes in one day. We ran a couple of iterations of our event in the making and it came to be called the Triple Bypass. @DaveInDenver has shown off his sweatshirt we made for the official event's participants that year, you may have seen it. We began with Schofield Pass, Pearl Pass and Taylor Pass and it eventually made more sense to go Italian Creek Pass, Pearl Pass and then Taylor Pass. My folks lead it for quite a number of years in a row (along with many trails for Cruise Moab, Ouray run and other club trips) and after many successful runs passed the torch to @wesintl. Wes lead the TBP for many years after and even came up with a double triple bypass.

I am bringing this run to reality this year and have asked the help of @Stuckinthe80s (as he lead a successful run) and a few others to make another successful run of it now and moving forward. Nic said he might not be able to be there due to family commitments but assured me his support and info from when he ran it a year or so ago. I am sure there will be bugs that will need worked out along the way, I truly appreciate your patience. Due to snowpack, holiday weekends and family commitments, we are tentatively planning it for the weekend of September 9, 10 and 11th and plan to camp in Dorchester Campground just like the old days.

Be forewarned, the number of trucks will be limited to 10 good mechanical condition trucks maximum and drivers will be required to have the skills and ability and confidence to keep up the fast pace to complete 50+ miles of technical offroad driving in one day. This run is NOT for beginner drivers with stockish trucks nor the faint of heart and you MUST keep moving. No dillydallying.

There is an open invitation for those who may want come out and hang out for the weekend and not be subjected to the abuse of the trails themselves. I believe my mother Barbara will be there, @Groucho and Bruce Westlund may be as well among others, we hope to see the old heads out for at least a visit if not run it with us.

Please be assured, I will watch this thread as closely as possible but might not check it every day. Again, I appreciate your patience. Please consider the requirements of this run and your own schedule before asking to be added to the list. We hope to make this a really great run!

The official communications will be via 2M HAM and an FCC license is required to operate/transmit a station-no exceptions. If you are interested and thinking about getting your HAM license, I do know that both @DaveInDenver and @Groucho have given many classes to prepare people for their exams. If we get enough interest, we might be able to get them to do another preparation session for those interested so you're able to take your exam and get your license. :)

List of participants:

1) Wes @wesintl
2) Phil @3rdGen4R
3) Ken @Romer
4) Ryan @gungriffin
5) Rachael @daughterofromer (tentative)
6) Mike @baileyfj40
7) Matt @Hulk
8) Mike @fyffer
9) Jackson @jps8460
10) Ige @nuclearlemon

The list of hangers out or folks who want to be passengers are here:

1) Perry @bh4rnnr
2) Bruce @Jethro

Event is full as of July 14th, 2022. We can start a list of backup participants supposing that one of the above folks can't make it for some reason. If you would like to be added to this "wait list" please say so.

Here are a few threads from previous years running the Triple Bypass for those not familiar with the run.

Hello all. My name is Ross Miller, I am Bruce and Barbara Miller's younger son. My family have been members and supporters of Rising Sun for over 25 years. You my or may not know, my father passed away early this year from a long fought battle with Parkinson's Disease.

In about 1998 while out camping and exploring our family came up with the idea for running 3 high mountain passes in one day. We ran a couple of iterations of our event in the making and it came to be called the Triple Bypass. @DaveInDenver has shown off his sweatshirt we made for the official event's participants that year, you may have seen it. We began with Schofield Pass, Pearl Pass and Taylor Pass and it eventually made more sense to go Italian Creek Pass, Pearl Pass and then Taylor Pass. My folks lead it for quite a number of years in a row (along with many trails for Cruise Moab, Ouray run and other club trips) and after many successful runs passed the torch to @wesintl. Wes lead the TBP for many years after and even came up with a double triple bypass.

I am bringing this run to reality this year and have asked the help of @Stuckinthe80s (as he lead a successful run) and a few others to make another successful run of it now and moving forward. Nic said he might not be able to be there due to family commitments but assured me his support and info from when he ran it a year or so ago. I am sure there will be bugs that will need worked out along the way, I truly appreciate your patience. Due to snowpack, holiday weekends and family commitments, we are tentatively planning it for the weekend of September 9, 10 and 11th and plan to camp in Dorchester Campground just like the old days.

Be forewarned, the number of trucks will be limited to 10 good mechanical condition trucks maximum and drivers will be required to have the skills and ability and confidence to keep up the fast pace to complete 50+ miles of technical offroad driving in one day. This run is NOT for beginner drivers with stockish trucks nor the faint of heart and you MUST keep moving. No dillydallying.

There is an open invitation for those who may want come out and hang out for the weekend and not be subjected to the abuse of the trails themselves. I believe my mother Barbara will be there, @Groucho and Bruce Westlund may be as well among others, we hope to see the old heads out for at least a visit if not run it with us.

Please be assured, I will watch this thread as closely as possible but might not check it every day. Again, I appreciate your patience. Please consider the requirements of this run and your own schedule before asking to be added to the list. We hope to make this a really great run!

The official communications will be via 2M HAM and an FCC license is required to operate/transmit a station-no exceptions. If you are interested and thinking about getting your HAM license, I do know that both @DaveInDenver and @Groucho have given many classes to prepare people for their exams. If we get enough interest, we might be able to get them to do another preparation session for those interested so you're able to take your exam and get your license. :)

List of participants:

1) Wes @wesintl
2) Phil @3rdGen4R
3) Ken @Romer
4) Ryan @gungriffin
6) Mike @baileyfj40
7) Matt @Hulk
8) Mike @fyffer
9) Jackson @jps8460
10) Ige @nuclearlemon

1) Perry @bh4rnnr
2) Bruce @Jethro

Event is full as of July 14th, 2022. We can start a list of backup participants supposing that one of the above folks can't make it for some reason. If you would like to be added to this "wait list" please say so.

Here are a few threads from previous years running the Triple Bypass for those not familiar with the run.

I would like to be added as stand by. Chris Herring (H

List of participants:

1) Wes @wesintl
2) Phil @3rdGen4R
3) Ken @Romer
4) Ryan @gungriffin
6) Mike @baileyfj40
7) Matt @Hulk
8) Mike @fyffer
9) Jackson @jps8460
10) Ige @nuclearlemon

1) Perry @bh4rnnr
2) Bruce @Jethro

Like to be added as a stand by. Chris Herring

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Ran 2/3rds of the triple on the last rising sun trip a few years ago, and peeled off to meet family in Aspen. Would love to do the entire trip in my 80 if a spot opens up.

thanks,

todd

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I’m in, please add me. Also I have an open passenger seat in my 80.
I'd like to ride shotgun with you fine sir!

It feels like I've been on more club runs as a passenger than a driver. :rolleyes: :unsure:

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I need to pull out of this guys. Hopefully there is enough time to get someone in my spot.

RossM

Rising Sun Member
List updated. Sorry you can't make it Phil. Chris, welcome!

RossM

Rising Sun Member
UPDATE POST!

We are having t-shirts made for this run and need a head count with sizes. (We have our 10 drivers, a couple of extra passengers and of course the folks who will be present but may not elect to drive (@Jethro and @Groucho) which I estimate at +/- 25 people.) Let me know how close I am in my estimation please.

We are planning to run only enough for drivers and for who are riding along in our 10 truck cap. We ask for this info (your shirt size) before end of day Monday August 8th so we can place the order. Thank you!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
UPDATE POST!

We are having t-shirts made for this run and need a head count with sizes. (We have our 10 drivers, a couple of extra passengers and of course the folks who will be present but may not elect to drive (@Jethro and @Groucho) which I estimate at +/- 25 people.) Let me know how close I am in my estimation please.

We are planning to run only enough for drivers and for who are riding along in our 10 truck cap. We ask for this info (your shirt size) before end of day Monday August 8th so we can place the order. Thank you!
2XL please

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
XL please!

:beer: :beer:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
2x. takk! and it looks like i'll have one seat for passenger

Last edited: