• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

*OFFICIAL* 2008 Triple Bypass Thread

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The 2008 Triple Bypass run is tentatively scheduled for August 16th this year. That could change due to snow conditions and we'll update as the trip date nears.

This is our 9th annual trip. The run begins at the Dorchester Campground at the north end of Taylor Park, over Italian Creek Pass into Crested Butte, over Pearl Pass into Ashcroft, then over Taylor Pass and back to the Dorchester Campground. This trip includes over 50 miles of 4 wheel drive travel and is run at a fast pace. Departure time from Dorchester is 8:00 AM. A stock cruiser in good mechanical condition with a competent driver will make this trip just fine.

Please post up if you plan to make it, and direct questions to Bruce Miller.

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
I'm in.

We had a blast last year!:thumb:

TBP camping

I am pretty new to the club, I have been looking back at the trip reports on previous TBP trips and it looks like this is a multiday trip? Can you post up some details on how the trip breaks up logistically? Where is a good place to camp or what do most people do?

Looking at the pictures from previous trips, we are definitely going this year!

THANKS!

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
I am pretty new to the club, I have been looking back at the trip reports on previous TBP trips and it looks like this is a multiday trip? Can you post up some details on how the trip breaks up logistically? Where is a good place to camp or what do most people do?

Looking at the pictures from previous trips, we are definitely going this year!

THANKS!

The run takes a full day so most people camp Friday and Sat (last year Wes drove up in the AM and found us on the trail so that can be done but he knew where he was going) Basically leave the camp at 8 and get back to camp around 6 with a lunch break.
I would not say it is stressful pace although there is not much time to stop and do a lot of sightseeing .....when you do it is spectacular.

As mentioned the Dorchester camp ground is the starting and finishing point so that is where most people camp. It is located near the base of Taylor pass near Taylor Park res (easy to find) There are many spot to camp in that area but if you don't stay with the group you miss out on some of Barb's GREAT dutch oven desserts :D

wesintl

RS Moderator
We'll, Bummer I can't make this one. It's my favorite run period. I'll be at my brothers wedding in NC.

LETSROLL

My wife and I are interested in this trip, but as non members thinking of joining we have some questions. Will my stock 40 with standard tires make the trek ok? My rig is in really nice shape and I don't want to pinstripe it or bang it up too much.

Thanks, LETSROLL

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
My wife and I are interested in this trip, but as non members thinking of joining we have some questions. Will my stock 40 with standard tires make the trek ok? My rig is in really nice shape and I don't want to pinstripe it or bang it up too much.

Thanks, LETSROLL

No problem. I ran it in my 40 when it was still stock height and running 31 inch tires. I don't remember anywhere on the trails that there was a lot of brush. Mostly rocks and mud. It's a 40, get it dirty and use it for what it was intended for, have fun! :thumb:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm in for it again, I'm with Wes, I think this is my favorite run period! I hear though, that some are thinking Pearl Pass may not open period this year because of the _load of snow they got hammered with down there this year! Anybody keeping up on that status?

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
How family and kid friendly is this run? Sounds like its a lot of car time, which can make for stir-crazy passengers. Maybe a good run for me and the 40 to bond? Or good for the whole clan?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
It's all day Saturday, I think we leave at 8AM and get back around 6PM, driving most of the time - about 60 miles mostly off road. I think Ben Ashcraft had his two daughters when I went a couple years ago, it depends on your family whether or not they will enjoy it. There's a lot of great scenery, but not a lot of stopping for pictures, and a lot of seat time that day.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Again CJ7 Matt might be down...

ttubb

I'm in for the run

I am planning on taking "White Top", the FZJ-80 on the run. Hopefully, I will have my ham license and rig by then. Terry :thumb:

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
TBP Snow Report

Just spoke to my Crested Butte contact regarding road conditions on the TBP trails. I'm told there's deep snow from timberline (11,000 feet?) and up on all three passes, Italian Creek, Pearl, and Taylor. Creek crossings are very deep with reports of some vehicles being pushed downstream by heavy runoff while creek crossing. Scofield Pass (one alternative to consider in case Pearl Pass doesn't open) is not only closed by the usual snowslide but there are an additional 4 or 5 other snowslides that have the pass currently closed in other spots. I'll get an update to snow and road conditions about the end of July.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I wouldn't complain if another date is chosen... then I could attend ;)

IIRC this past snow season in CB eclipsed the all time snowfalls previous record (in 79 - 415in) of 430 somthin to become the best season ever. 94 was a good year and schofield was only open for a short time IIRC. I remember biking that year there was a monster slide off the backside of gothic that was probably 100 yards long and 15-20 ft deep at the trail head to conundrum. The wife and I will probably go down there in july to hang out. i'll try and go up to the top of schofield and see what it's like.

Last edited: